Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 06-13-2013, 09:41 PM   #281
backtotintops

Drives: 14 Z/28 0#
Quote:
Originally Posted by *007 View Post
The be all end all of Camaro is the ZL1. and it's proven. If I wanted the best Camaro out there for all around race and street enjoyment ...it wouldn't be a car that is so low it's impractical. a car that has no creature comforts, and all the rags will confirm. but who is going to pay the $80k plus ADM to get one just to make it a trailer queen? be compliant Doc!
First off...the be all end all is in the eye of the beholder I think. Secondly who said it's 80K? Why not save yer belly aching until it actually is 80k or 100k. Be "compliant"???....to what...Doc has this nailed...he's compliant to the truth. If I am able to afford one (not at 100k) then I would order it from a far away dealer and have a great time driving it back...I would drive the thing all the time in the warm months...this is coming from someone who has had 2 scca club racing cars that were registered/plated. They will sell every one easy. I can confirm there are many like me who would never have considered the camaro until this car...not against camaros but nothing pulled me in...I was hoping to see a new Barracuda but that keeps slipping back and SRT will have a mountain to climb to top the z28. I STRONGLY prefer the new design...especially the new taillights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
It WILL BEAT all the other Camaro models on the road course, including the ZL1 because that's SPECIFICALLY what it's being designed to do.
I suspect it will crush most cars that show up at a track day that cost 2-3 times more and I'm pretty sure that includes the current Zo6 and maybe ZR1…that's not an L…it's an R…on a road course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
I highly suspect it's being set up for pro racing where it has to be street legal and produced in sufficient numbers to qualify as a production car; just like the original Z/28 needed to qualify for the SCCA requirements to compete in the Trans Am championship series….And this car is going to bring in customers that were never Camaro customers before; people who are used to spending 2 to 3 times that much and they're going to think the Z is a bargain!
BINGO…Doc nailed it. Check out how many Camaros are pro racing now. This would be great in World Challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
The Z/28 is out of reach for most and it's exclusivity will mean we will not see one in the more affordable $30-40K range for years, if ever. For those with the $$ to spend $60-80k on a weekend track car they will not be taking the Z/28 to the drag strip. They will also buy a cheap 1/4 track beater, like a 2013+ GT500 as well if they care, but most will not. Those in this SES group look down at the commoners at the drag strip and do not fathom the attraction.

But for the slightly less affluent who want the high end in both venues in one car, they will buy a Nissan GT-R. Godzilla!

Imagine what the Z/28 could do with AWD. My Z/28 AWD 1/4 estimate: 11.5@117 1.6 60' out of the box.
Again we do not know the price. Why can't I drive this every day?…I can easily put 3 more bose speakers in and those Recaros do not look like Kirkeys….probably comfortable and firm. I would drag it a few times just to see…never done that before and what do you mean by looking down??? The road racing community especially in scca is one of if not THE most humble bunch of people...and BTW...you can race a car within any budget in scca/nasa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKreme15 View Post
Did you read Doc's post? There is a subculture of people who spend tens of thousands of dollars in NASA/SCCA circuits. Some of them race cars with far more $$ into them than what the z/28 will sticker for. There aren't many (relative) of these people, but there won't be many if this car. Guarantee a lot of those people already have their eyes on this car - that they won't have to do brake/aero mods to, and other things. You'll see
Nailed it…no mods needed!!!...there are many people who are lurking already with 1k deposits waiting to find out how much the dealer plans to bend them over.
backtotintops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:01 PM   #282
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtotintops View Post
Nailed it…no mods needed!!!...there are many people who are lurking already with 1k deposits waiting to find out how much the dealer plans to bend them over.
That is the same thing people were saying before they got their hands on the ZL1
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:18 PM   #283
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
That is the same thing people were saying before they got their hands on the ZL1
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:51 PM   #284
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
It definitely won't need a brake upgrade

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:36 PM   #285
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
...305's on the front, Holy smokes....those brakes, that gearing, that LS7...makes me sweat at night thinking what a blast it'll be wheeling this bad boy around...if, and that's a big if...I get a shot at it. And...that's my plan and I'm sticking to it.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:54 PM   #286
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
...305's on the front, Holy smokes....those brakes, that gearing, that LS7...makes me sweat at night thinking what a blast it'll be wheeling this bad boy around...if, and that's a big if...I get a shot at it. And...that's my plan and I'm sticking to it.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:16 PM   #287
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
To preserve the track-focused nature of the Z/28, it doesn’t have the strengthened differential and half shafts of the ZL1, and is not recommended for drag racing.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:57 PM   #288
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
To preserve the track-focused nature of the Z/28, it doesn’t have the strengthened differential and half shafts of the ZL1, and is not recommended for drag racing.
?
Old 06-27-2013, 06:00 PM   #289
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
?
http://www.*****************/2013/03...rmation-specs/

http://www.*****************/2013/03...rmation-specs/

Last edited by Sven59; 06-28-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Sven59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:55 PM   #290
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by *007 View Post
I just don't think there will be too many Z-28's produced. Those that get them aren't likely to be using them much on the street -- like you said -- Any more than you'd see a COPO on the street.

If GM wants to use the Z-28 moniker to bring people into the showrooms, they will need to make a version of it that is a little more affordable . I am talking about a Camaro with the LS7 available as a 1LE option with CAI. Now, that would bring em in! Or Z-28 stage1, stage 2. Stage one being a little more wallet and street friendly version.
If you take a 1LE and add the LS7 you've got pretty close to a $50,000 car.

Or take everything on the Z/28 and remove the ceramic brakes you've now got about a $55,000 car and that is optimistic.

Anything with the LS7 gets a huge price bump.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:17 AM   #291
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
Sven59, is this a quote from someone in the know, GM media release, or your opinion?

Man, this post is way beyond off topic. According to this idea the topic should not exist at all! One would hope the Z/28 could withstand a few hard launches.

The Z/28 front sway bar might be thicker than both the ZL1 and the beefier 1LE bar. This is good for lots of spinning at the lights, not hooking. So I would say the drive train is pretty safe. The tires are grippy I am sure, but not as tied down as drag radials.

This is why I will stick to my story of the Z/28 running low 12s and not 11s, and this with good air and track prep.

But I bet the Chevy insiders already know.

I have been two for two with the Z/28 so far:

1. I was very early calling for the then Z/28 to be called the ZL1. The ZL1 was the legendary Camaro top dog and the Z/28 while also a legend, was muddied with later versions and was never top dog. Chevy is positioning the Z/28 as the top track dog, as it should be. Probably even more focused than the original. Interesting now that the Z/28 will be the rarer car I think.

2. I knew and posted that the LS7 Z/28 was coming long before the announcement. This was very easy to figure out right here on these forums.

Will I be three for three with low 12s or ?

And I apologize for generalizing about road track focused people. I have only met a few. From what several of you have posted I stand corrected about ALL track focused enthusiasts looking down on drag racing. However just like Camaro V8 owners slamming V6 owners the impression might be common, just not universal. Kudos to those not judging! Respect. And here I am judging.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:25 AM   #292
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Sven59, is this a quote from someone in the know, GM media release, or your opinion?

Man, this post is way beyond off topic. According to this idea the topic should not exist at all! One would hope the Z/28 could withstand a few hard launches.

The Z/28 front sway bar might be thicker than both the ZL1 and the beefier 1LE bar. This is good for lots of spinning at the lights, not hooking. So I would say the drive train is pretty safe. The tires are grippy I am sure, but not as tied down as drag radials.

This is why I will stick to my story of the Z/28 running low 12s and not 11s, and this with good air and track prep.

But I bet the Chevy insiders alre
I have been two for two with the Z/28 so far:

1. I was very early calling for the then Z/28 to be called the ZL1. The ZL1 was the legendary Camaro top dog and the Z/28 while also a legend, was muddied with later versions and was never top dog. Chevy is positioning the Z/28 as the top track dog, as it should be. Probably even more focused the the original. Interesting now that the Z/28 will be the rarer car I think.

2. I knew and posted that the LS7 Z/28 was coming long before the announcement. This was very easy to figure out right here on these forums.

Will I be three for three with low 12s or ?

And I apologize for generalizing about road track focused people. I have only met a few. From what several of you have posted I stand corrected about ALL track focused enthusiasts looking down on drag racing. However just like Camaro V8 owners slamming V6 owners the impression might be common, just not universal. Kudos to those not judging! Respect. And here I am judging.

I posted the link.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:32 PM   #293
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Link has too many ***'s and not enough letters/numbers.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:45 PM   #294
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

[QUOTE=Norm Peterson;6727778]Link has too many ***'s and not enough letters/numbers.

Norm[/QT

Camaro5 is doing it, when I post it it looks normal.

Did you try it, it works when I click on it.