Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-13-2009, 11:34 AM   #1
camero

Drives: IOM V6 RS 38808
HUGE problem with warped rear bumper fascia!!!

I have a HUGE problem with my rear bumper being warped!!! (Well actually it's a minor problem that's no big deal and I probably shouldn't have even noticed it.) But when I did I was very shocked and thought that someone had hit me or maybe hated my mudflap so much they kicked it or tried to pull it off or something. Or maybe that putting the mudflaps on or taking the taillight rings off had caused stresses on the plastic that had caused it to warp or something. But I examined old pictures of my car from when I got it a few weeks ago and it has always been like this from the day I picked it up. I can't believe I never noticed it because now it's super obvious to me and I can't look at my car (or even think about it) without seeing it. I'm thinking if anyone sees it they'll think I was in a crash or that GM quality sucks, neither of which I want at all!

It's warped in two ways, mostly on the drivers side but even a little on the passenger side. The leading edge of the bumper right by the tire is warped in and out causing the wheel opening to not appear smooth and round in most views and the bumper is also warped away from the fender itself for 6 or 8 inches behind the wheel flare. Is anyone else's car like this? Does anyone else know why mine is? I don't know if I should try to forget about it, or take it back to the dealer and see if they can un-warp it or if I can un-warp it or if I should have them order me a new bumper or what?

Old 09-13-2009, 11:43 AM   #2
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
New bumper needed, the car is new so a repaired bumper would never do.

See dealer.
two_wheel_mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 12:24 PM   #3
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
I wonder if it is just the way it is mounted. The simple act of taking it off and remounting it may be fine. Maybe the bumper is torqued a bit where it mounts and needs to be relaxed.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:34 PM   #4
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
I think you hit something. But didn't feel it.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:05 PM   #5
camero

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSOOCH View Post
I think you hit something. But didn't feel it.
But I looked at the pictures I took of it a half hour after I picked it up and it was that way even then. Of course the dealer or the transport company might have hit it with something. (whoever has the VIN after mine should check and see if your front bumper is warped)
Old 09-13-2009, 01:07 PM   #6
GreyGhost

Drives: Custom CGM/Pearl White 2010 Camaro
Sorry to hear about the warped bumper. If it was mine, I would visit with the dealer and ask them to find and fix the problem. Seems almost like it is pulled up too tight and that dismounting and remounting might allow it to sit the way it was designed. And if not, then it may just be a "bad" bumper fascia and need replacing. Either way, your new car wasn't designed to look like that and shouldn't. No factory is perfect 100% of the time, and this is why you have a warranty.

CGM w/ Pearl White and Kandy Kopper FlexPaint wrap, matching bow ties and brake covers, amber halos & fogs"
Awesome image by: Hazman
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 01:31 PM   #7
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
I think there is or was stress on the rear cover or facia (its not a bumper) maybe from a minor impact. If I were you I would return those tail lamps to stock so the dealer doesn't know you were goofing around back there.
myold88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 01:48 PM   #8
GreendaleSRT4

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS Convertible
I first noticed this a few weeks ago on mine, and have looked at every Camaro around here (~10) and they all have the same "oddity". The driver-side is worse than the passenger-side. So, it's not just you.
GreendaleSRT4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 03:21 PM   #9
KFH
1SS Victory Red Manual

Drives: 2010 1SS 6 Speed Manual
Rear Bumber Bulge Fix

Hey, I had the same thing on my car. The problem is that it was not assembled correct. Jack up the car, remove the wheel, then remove the three screws and one bolt in the wheel well. Pull the bumper away from the wheel well far enough to see the tabs. One or two of the tabs are not seated properly, they need to be bent back forward to line up, and then the bumper just pops right into place. I had to fix both sides, left side had one tab bent, the right had two.

1st Camaro - 77 Type LT Rally Sport, 3 Speed Manual, Inline 6 2nd - 94 Z28, 6 Speed Manual LT1 V8
3rd - 2010 1LT, 6 Speed Manual LLT V6 4th - 2010 1SS, 6 Speed Manual LS3 V8, RX Catch Can, Holley iNTECH CAI, Flowmaster Force II Exhaust
KFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 06:26 PM   #10
mtcwby
High on "The Camaro Life"

Drives: 2010 2SS, IOM, LS3, Vortech, LG cam
Send a message via AIM to mtcwby
Quote:
Originally Posted by KFH View Post
Hey, I had the same thing on my car. The problem is that it was not assembled correct. Jack up the car, remove the wheel, then remove the three screws and one bolt in the wheel well. Pull the bumper away from the wheel well far enough to see the tabs. One or two of the tabs are not seated properly, they need to be bent back forward to line up, and then the bumper just pops right into place. I had to fix both sides, left side had one tab bent, the right had two.
I had the same problem and the above is 100% correct, that is how I fixed mine also.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:07 PM   #11
camero

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFH View Post
WOW, you were right! I fixed it! Thanks a Million!!! Someone should tell the guys in Oshawa in a few weeks so they can be more careful when they put on the bumpers. I only had to take the top bolt and the upper star-head screw out though, and I didn't even have to jack up the car or remove the tire either.
While I had it apart I took some pictures in hopes that I could help someone else.

These pictures were all taken from above looking straight down at the two tabs that are supposed to go into the two slots but were kindof behind them instead forcing the side of the bumper outboard. The top one looks like it got a little nicked by being in the wrong position.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:53 AM   #12
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmicro_SS View Post
I wonder if it is just the way it is mounted. The simple act of taking it off and remounting it may be fine. Maybe the bumper is torqued a bit where it mounts and needs to be relaxed.
I had a feeling, Glad to see you got resolve.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:49 PM   #13
Inuyashas_Brother

Drives: '10 Camaro LS - M6
Thank you all for the great instructions!!
Inuyashas_Brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:16 AM   #14
AlSuwaidi

Drives: BLACK LS3 GCC-Spec
ah well hope its fine now!
AlSuwaidi is offline   Reply With Quote