Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 04-07-2010, 06:47 PM   #29
Sax1031

Drives: 2000 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
20 years ago, people thought the exact same thing about the Viper. But now the first ones are worth around half of what they were when they were new. Thats pretty good for a 20 year old car, don't get me wrong. But it hasn't gone up in value like people were expecting.

On top of that, those who buy a new car and store it, expecting it to go up in value need pay for insurance (even if it is just fire and theft) and usually storage fee's as well. Add it up over 20 years and a total investment might work out to a 50% loss, if you're lucky. A real investment over the same time should at least double, probably triple your money.
Yes but if the Viper had just a 3 year run the original Vipers would be worth a LOT of money right now.

And I am sure people that bought the $150k for an investment had a place to store the car already.

People are already getting damn near 2x the original MSRP when selling GTs and it has only been 4 years. Wow
Sax1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:52 PM   #30
shroomjohn

Drives: Golden Eagle
man that was sweet I love the GT both amazing rides
Old 04-08-2010, 10:56 PM   #31
Cdimic

Drives: Black 2ss/rs
Gt's have the most uncomfortable seats i've ever sat in.
Cdimic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:26 PM   #32
syr74
Account Suspended

Drives: Thunderbird
If you want to buy a supercar platform to mod into something ridiculously fast the Ford GT is best game in town by a long shot since it has the relatively easy modability of cars like the Vette and Viper but uses a platform more on par with Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc. It's the best of both worlds. The Ford GT is the ultimate tuner supercar, if you have the dough.
syr74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:06 AM   #33
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by syr74 View Post
If you want to buy a supercar platform to mod into something ridiculously fast the Ford GT is best game in town by a long shot since it has the relatively easy modability of cars like the Vette and Viper but uses a platform more on par with Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc. It's the best of both worlds. The Ford GT is the ultimate tuner supercar, if you have the dough.
?

The best Corvette and Viper already perform on par with Ferari's and Lambo's. They'll do the Nurburgring as fast or faster than an Enzo. Stock. The GT has a hard time out running a Z06, let alone a current Viper or the ZR1. How does that make it a better platform to build from? Also, I don't know about the GT or Viper, but the Corvette utilizes a space frame, allowing you to completely change the body if you'd like. But that would be a big advantage if you're looking to build a supercar.

And the Viper isn't all that cheap or easy to mod. Figure the number of V8's GM sells each year vs V10's from Dodge. Massive market for a supplier to tap into for small block chevy's vs a tiny one for Viper V10's. The GT sits between the two, since it essentially donated its engine to the GT500.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:15 AM   #34
ViperTomcat
Banned

Drives: 2011 Avenger Heat
Quote:
?

The best Corvette and Viper already perform on par with Ferari's and Lambo's. They'll do the Nurburgring as fast or faster than an Enzo. Stock. The GT has a hard time out running a Z06, let alone a current Viper or the ZR1. How does that make it a better platform to build from? Also, I don't know about the GT or Viper, but the Corvette utilizes a space frame, allowing you to completely change the body if you'd like. But that would be a big advantage if you're looking to build a supercar.

And the Viper isn't all that cheap or easy to mod. Figure the number of V8's GM sells each year vs V10's from Dodge. Massive market for a supplier to tap into for small block chevy's vs a tiny one for Viper V10's. The GT sits between the two, since it essentially donated its engine to the GT500.
One of the reasons why the Viper's 8.4L V10 costs between 25-35,000 dollars. You dont find other vehicles that run the 8.4L V10..period.

You find ALOT of vehicles that run 350's tho.
ViperTomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:18 AM   #35
Sax1031

The Viper is very easy to mod, at least internally engine wise. Nothing to fancy just a big cube monster of a motor.

Expensive yes you are correct about that.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:28 AM   #36
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperTomcat View Post
One of the reasons why the Viper's 8.4L V10 costs between 25-35,000 dollars. You dont find other vehicles that run the 8.4L V10..period.

That much? Wow. Then again, if the LS7 is around $14k, and LS9 around $20k, I guess the Viper V10 could be around $30k. Still seems like a lot for an engine relying on overwhelming size. I would have expected it to be a lot less then that though. Oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sax1031 View Post
The Viper is very easy to mod, at least internally engine wise. Nothing to fancy just a big cube monster of a motor.

Expensive yes you are correct about that.
Sorry about the easy part.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 04-09-2010, 12:49 AM   #37
AngryAmish

Drives: Impala
Quote:
But it hasn't gone up in value like people were expecting.
Things usually never go up in value when people are expecting it.

Collectables in general are a market determined by a series of flukes. I mean, I'm sure if people were expecting The Action Comics issue with the 1st appearance of Superman to be worth money, alot more people would have kept it. Of course, it would have been worth $20k tops instead of somewhere around $150k.
Proud Owner of #168
AngryAmish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 07:18 PM   #38
Bryan

Drives: SIM 2SS/RS M6
The Ford GT is one of the drop dead sexiest cars around and I would give my left nut for one. I'm just having trouble finding someone who wants to make the trade.

This is coming from someone who is not a fan of Ford's cars in general.
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 07:23 PM   #39
Sax1031

Quote:
That much? Wow. Then again, if the LS7 is around $14k, and LS9 around $20k, I guess the Viper V10 could be around $30k. Still seems like a lot for an engine relying on overwhelming size. I would have expected it to be a lot less then that though. Oh well.

Sorry about the easy part.
The Ford GT motor was like $45k if you wanted to buy it as a crate motor when the GT first came out.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:25 PM   #40
Sax1031

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperTomcat View Post

The only other vehicle they put it in was the SRT-10 Ram. I heard of people buying the truck just to get the drivetrain.

Well they also had that concept bike. I did however laugh at early media releases that said the bike could possibly go 300mph. They just based it on the top of the highest gear(think it was 6th).
Old 04-09-2010, 07:41 PM   #41
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sax1031 View Post
The only other vehicle they put it in was the SRT-10 Ram. I heard of people buying the truck just to get the drivetrain.

Well they also had that concept bike. I did however laugh at early media releases that said the bike could possibly go 300mph. They just based it on the top of the highest gear(think it was 6th).
Not entirely ... it was 500 hp and a fairly small cross section. That gives it a very high potential top speed. Though I do recall hearing that the driver would get lifted off the bike before it reached 300 mph.

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 04-09-2010, 08:18 PM   #42
Sax1031

Quote:
Not entirely ... it was 500 hp and a fairly small cross section. That gives it a very high potential top speed. Though I do recall hearing that the driver would get lifted off the bike before it reached 300 mph.
It was a pipe dream. 700+ wheel hp Hyabusas( a far more aerodynamic bike) couldn't get near those numbers.