Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 07-20-2018, 12:19 PM   #15
Coleroad

Drives: 13 Camaro
This should answer how courts view this. This has set a precedent for future cases.https://caselaw.findlaw.com/mn-court...s/1246780.html

So basically it fits under the law that all states have, that all safety devices must be functional.
You get rear ended, and your third brake light isn't functional you can be held partially responsible. Someone like myself with a dash cam would be able to easily prove that.

Last edited by Coleroad; 07-20-2018 at 12:29 PM.
Coleroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 01:07 PM   #16
KenKat

Drives: 2014 2LT RS Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleroad View Post
This should answer how courts view this. This has set a precedent for future cases.https://caselaw.findlaw.com/mn-court...s/1246780.html

So basically it fits under the law that all states have, that all safety devices must be functional.
You get rear ended, and your third brake light isn't functional you can be held partially responsible. Someone like myself with a dash cam would be able to easily prove that.
Laws will vary by state and while one case in the Minnesota Court of Appeal did take a position on this, it may not be applied in the same way in other states.

That saiid, it’s probably better to have all lamps working than not working as you really don’t want to have any reason to get pulled over, valid or not.
KenKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:19 PM   #17
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post
If someone tells you that they are mistaken. You need one working brake light on each side of the car. And they can double as a turn signal. Now, some LEOs might have an issue that if you have what appears to be a brake light, it should act like a brake light. But the law doesn't say you need a third brake light. No more than the law says you should have daytime running lights.
Actually it's does say you need a third. In fact, it also says it must be a minimum of 3 inches higher than the other brake lights.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 09:36 AM   #18
KenKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBananaSS View Post
Actually it's does say you need a third. In fact, it also says it must be a minimum of 3 inches higher than the other brake lights.
That is a manufacturing requirement imposed at the federal level; states are not obligated to enforce that.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:17 AM   #19
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenKat View Post
That is a manufacturing requirement imposed at the federal level; states are not obligated to enforce that.
Federal law always supercedes state law. States can choose if they want to enforce it but that doesn't mean it's not "law". How many times have we seen a police officer walk by acquittal in state supreme court only to be tried at a federal level afterwards? In a way it's legal double jeopardy. But the overriding point is states are supposed to follow all federal mandates and laws.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
Old 07-21-2018, 02:09 PM   #20
KenKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBananaSS View Post
Federal law always supercedes state law. States can choose if they want to enforce it but that doesn't mean it's not "law". How many times have we seen a police officer walk by acquittal in state supreme court only to be tried at a federal level afterwards? In a way it's legal double jeopardy. But the overriding point is states are supposed to follow all federal mandates and laws.
Yes, it is a federal law that applies specifically to manufacturing. States are obligated to follow it when manufacturing cars in their state but it doesn’t pertain to function of the light while driving so there is no obligation by states to enforce that.

The 10th Amendment states: The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

The manufacturing law likely falls under interstate commerce which is a power specifically granted to the federal government. A federal law pertaining to the operation of the light while driving (which I don’t believe exists) would be on far shakier ground in my opinion but that is why we have courts.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:55 PM   #21
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

That is a possibility, true. In the long run, it's your car so do as you guys wish. Myself, I've learned from experience to limit legal issues by not giving them a reason to pull you over in the first place by having all lights working and not tinting my windows. The Marine Corps license plate holder and rear window decal with veteran plates seal the deal for me lol. I've had them run up on my tail only to back off once they got close enough to read. And I only use a front plate when entering NYC.