Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 02-25-2018, 08:55 PM   #785
Cheap Guy

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Ok. Now that I’ve had a time to enjoy driving my Camaro I figured I’d give a brief review on the PAC kit I installed.

First the negatives. The chime is really chintzy and cheap sounding. The backup sensor doesn’t seem to work as well and I’m not sure if it’s just the chime or the kit itself. And the connectors are no where near as study as the stock parts. I wish they had two kits - one budget and one premium with higher quality materials. One other thing I don’t like about the kit is the inability to change some of the stock settings unless you buy the PAC interface. All said and done, I haven’t had any problems with the kit since it’s been installed.

If you decide to go with the PAC, I suggest you get the best head unit you can afford, preferably with Apple CarPlay or Android Car, especially with all the effort that it takes to do the install. I initially installed a cheaper Pioneer unit and it made me have doubts about whether I should have gone the MyLink route. I swapped it out for a better Pioneer unit and now I love it.

First - 1997 Camaro 3800 Y87, M5, Green - Gone | Second - 1997 LT1 Z28, M6, Silver - Sold | Third - 1999 LS1 Z28, M6, Pewter, Almost Stock! - Sold
Current - 2011 Camaro SS, M6, black, 1LE suspension parts - Current
Cheap Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 06:44 PM   #786
Pagliaro
RIP Betsy ( Vitara )

Drives: '11 SGM 1LT/RS
Send a message via AIM to Pagliaro Send a message via MSN to Pagliaro Send a message via Yahoo to Pagliaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by directcraig View Post
HI everyone. So I have been using this kit for a few months now and everything has worked great until this morning. This morning when I turned the car on the ventilation controls and the temperature display were completely dead. the lock/unlock button still works and the hazard button still works. the radio still works fine as well as the steering wheel controls.
So its just the ventilation controls and the temperature display. Nothing lights up on the ventilation controls and the dials do not work. Anybody else had this happen?
Remote start?

I had this happem with my Mylink install in my 2011. It worked after a shutdown but I need a new battery.

First retrofitted 2014 mylink.
Pagliaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 04:08 PM   #787
Gossamer

Drives: 2012 Camaro Convertible
ok looking at upgrading my 2012 radio to the PAC kit.

My radio choices are:

Kenwood Excelon DDX6903S 6.2" Monitor receiver with Bluetooth & HD radio Kenwood Excelon DDX9904S this is a 7" with apple car play and android auto
Sony has an XAV AX200, 6.2" monitor comes with a Sirius satellite tuner
Sony does not have a C.D./DVD drive XAV-AX100 6.2" monitor
Pioneer has a AVH1440NEX system 6.1" with Android

I read all the 50+ pages, but it just served to confuse me even more.

I should also point out, I'm an old guy, I don't care much about the loudness or quality of the sound. I want things like phone mirroring so that I can GPS with that instead of a standalone etc.

Anyone have any good/bad to say about any of these radio choices?

Last edited by Gossamer; 03-06-2018 at 04:38 PM.
Gossamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 10:05 AM   #788
MyLocalDJ

Drives: 2015 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post

My radio choices are:

Kenwood Excelon DDX6903S 6.2" Monitor receiver with Bluetooth & HD radio Kenwood Excelon DDX9904S this is a 7" with apple car play and android auto

I should also point out, I'm an old guy, I don't care much about the loudness or quality of the sound. I want things like phone mirroring so that I can GPS with that instead of a standalone etc.

Or just get a head unit with a nice build in GPS if that is one of your must haves. That's what I did.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:53 PM   #789
pump905

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs black with white rally
So I did the pac with Kenwood ddx9904s but heated seats don’t work. They worked fine with stock set up. Anybody have this issue before.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:40 PM   #790
Cheap Guy

Quote:

My radio choices are:

I have the Pioneer AVH-1330NEX and I love it. It has Apple CarPlay so you can use the Apple nav or even Waze very easily. It also recognized my SiriusXM app so I probably could have saved a few bucks and not bought the SiriusXM SXV300V1 Tuner. The only thing that I kind of don't like is the lack of volume knob but I've gotten use to it.

First - 1997 Camaro 3800 Y87, M5, Green - Gone | Second - 1997 LT1 Z28, M6, Silver - Sold | Third - 1999 LS1 Z28, M6, Pewter, Almost Stock! - Sold
Old 03-15-2018, 12:19 AM   #791
salva

Drives: 2014 LS
Quote:

My radio choices are:

I bought a Kenwood DDX9903s. Definitely love it. Plus it has an HDMI input and a front & backup camera input
salva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 08:43 PM   #792
Erich_In_Fl

Drives: 2014 1LS V6
I'm just wrapping up my install and everything seems to be going well (Kenwood DDX-9703s), however I'm having the same issue as in post 660 (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=660) where my temp just reads "---F". I don't see a fix in the thread, has anyone had that and fixed it?

Thanks
Erich_In_Fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 12:37 PM   #793
kiteman

Drives: 2012 45th Camaro, 2SS/M6
i'm having 2 significant issues and a 3rd less significant issue if you guys can help me with my 2012 install with a jvc head unit!

1. steering wheel controls answer and end call do not work. like at all. i saw someone else had this issue (@patternpilot) but he never came back and explained how or if he resolved this issue. there is also an aux 3.5mm connection for the steering wheel controls. the instructions just say "for kenwood, jvc, etc" and i have a jvc. i can't for the life of me figure out where it is supposed to plug into the jvc unit thought? i have this unit btw http://www.us.jvc.com/car/multimedia/kw_v830bt/

2. in android auto google maps first time click is just a black screen. you have to click to another app and then back to maps and it works just fine. i've heard mention of a parking brake workaround with the light green wire, but i'm not sure really what that means? i installed it into the light green wire on the PAC unit as instructed. also from what i've read people that don't do the parking break workaround don't have access to android auto at all...that isn't the problem i have, it's just that maps required accessing twice before it works. still could have to do with the parking brake, i'm not sure. also, i drive a manual if that helps.

3. i have the backup camera in my rear view mirror. the pac unit has an adapter for the rear view mirror, but where it the wire to plug it into? i'm assuming it's somewhere around the rear view mirror/roof and i'll have to run an a/v cord extension to the head unit to get it rerouted?

sucks i had this thing all buttoned up and then later noticed these problems and now it's undone again. i'm about ready to send it back! thanks for any help.
kiteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:28 PM   #794
FirstCamaro23

Drives: 2010 1977 1LT Camaro
I am looking for some insight on what other have done with their radio upgrade.

I purchased the Pioneer AVH-4200 Head unit to go with the PAC kit. I have the work done in the dash to get all the new parts stashed away. However, when I put the radio in place, it seems to stick out too far where the Pac kit doesn't snap into place.

For those who have chosen the Pioneer Head Unit, or any larger double din models, have you had to trim the Pac kit to get it to fit? Or where you able to position everything where that wasn't necessary?

Any insight would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Order Placed - 2/27/10
1100 = Preliminary Order Accepted - 2/27/10
2000 = Accepted By GM - 5/5 FINALLY!!!!
2500 = Order Preferenced - 5/5
3300 = Order scheduled for production - 5/11 TPW = 5/17
3400 = Order Broadcast - 5/15
3800 = Order Produced - 5/21
4000 = Bayed for Shipment - 5/26
4200 = Shipped - 6/1
5000 = Delievered to Dealer 6/8
6000 = Picked Up by Customer 6/8 101 DAYS!!!
FirstCamaro23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 01:37 PM   #795
Cheap Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstCamaro23 View Post
I am looking for some insight on what other have done with their radio upgrade.

I purchased the Pioneer AVH-4200 Head unit to go with the PAC kit. I have the work done in the dash to get all the new parts stashed away. However, when I put the radio in place, it seems to stick out too far where the Pac kit doesn't snap into place.

For those who have chosen the Pioneer Head Unit, or any larger double din models, have you had to trim the Pac kit to get it to fit? Or where you able to position everything where that wasn't necessary?

Any insight would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
To put it simply, it's a bitch to get everything back in - you just have to be patient. You shouldn't have to trim anything on the PAC kit for it to fit. Some people cut out a little bit more of the plastic under the radio and stick everything down there. I ended up zip tying the PAC module above the radio and pushing some of the wire and connection into the glove box area to the right of the radio. Just be VERY CAREFUL because the HVAC connector is kind of fragile and at least a couple of us have accidentally pulled the connector from the HVAC board.

Old 07-25-2018, 11:26 AM   #796
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Why is this not at 1,000 replies yet?
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 02:43 PM   #797
DarthWill

Drives: BumbleBee 2011 2LT RS
Does anyone know if a BOSS head unit will fit in the PAC? Thanks.
DarthWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 04:09 PM   #798
Leo72793

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthWill View Post
Does anyone know if a BOSS head unit will fit in the PAC? Thanks.
As an installer, please avoid PYLE, Boss, Jensen, Blaupunkt, and any other ultra inexpensive brands. They are legit crap. Slow, inneficient, and most die within 6 months, and by then most places wont touch it or take it back. Spend a bit more and get a quality deck, pioneer, sony, kenwood etc.
•Speed Engineering Longtube Headers w/ Magnaflow HF Cats
•Bo White PnP Stage 2 TB
•GPI SS2 VVT Cam w Cometic thin gaskets 10.69 compression
•Xpipe w/ Res Delete and NPP Exhaust
•Tuned By Anonymous Calibrations
•Gen5DIY Mylink Conversion W/ Backup Cam
•Morel 3 way custom speakers, Infinity 860w Subwoofers in trunk baffle
•Helix P6 6ch amp w/ 8ch DSP and P1 Sub amp
Leo72793 is offline   Reply With Quote