Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2021, 11:15 AM   #1
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Electric Muscle Cars?

“Tear up the streets, not the planet.” How’s it feel to know what you’re driving - assuming that’s a Camaro, is a planet destroyer? I honestly believe the push for e-cars is for one day to announce that the state/nation can no longer produce the energy to charge them. Then they’ll become lawn ornaments.

We are going to ‘green’ our way into extinction. That’ll carry some irony.

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/te...uscle-car-2024
Old 07-11-2021, 12:35 PM   #2
67-LS1

Drives: 1966 Chevelle
Personally I think the electric muscle car is a cool concept. Bring them on.
My next swap may very well be a Tesla driveline in an early muscle car.
Old 07-11-2021, 01:22 PM   #3
WS6ADDICT

Drives: 85IROC-94Z-81Z2-2018 Vert 2002 WS6
Ford dealer near us has stared at their $56,240 Mustang MachE for 2 months.
Apparently they're not that cool............
Old 07-11-2021, 01:37 PM   #4
Silveradoss573

Drives: Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS6ADDICT View Post
Ford dealer near us has stared at their $56,240 Mustang MachE for 2 months.
Apparently they're not that cool............
We had shelby fest about a month ago. I went up to watch the autocross for a few hours. Local ford dealer had a MachE out running around on it. Talk about a freaking snoozefest watching it run the course. The crowd pleasers were the loud V8 rides.

At the end of the day, big oil and gas will have the last laugh over this "green" push.....fact
Old 07-11-2021, 02:48 PM   #5
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
The draw of instant power is an exciting thought. However, "tear up the streets not the planet" is a farce. Lithium is not recyclable like the lead in batteries. The amount of lithium batteries required requires a substantial amount of more mining than what is required for internal combustion engines vehicles. Mining vehicles don't typically run on electricity solely. The primary source for generating the electricity is coal or other mined resources like natural gas, nuclear, oil, etc. Not to mention the fact that places like California that have the highest amounts of electric cars are already being asked to not charge their cars because of energy shortages.

Additionally, I daily a F150. The new Lightning is being advertised as the electric F150. To get a 300 mile range you'll need a "quick" 45 minute super charge (approximately 90% battery). My current F150 takes about 3 minutes to fill up and get 500-600 miles of range. For someone like me who puts 40k-50k a year on a vehicle that's a massive amount of valuable time.

I think the concept of electric vehicles is neat, but I wish they wouldn't be forced upon the public so hard. If an idea is a good idea free enterprise will ensure it stays around.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
Old 07-11-2021, 06:02 PM   #6
SSJ455

Drives: "Kara Zor-El" 2017 2SS HBM
Nope. Part of being a muscle car is the rumble of the exhaust.
Dangerzoooooone.

Old 07-11-2021, 11:37 PM   #7
Mrbobcat

Drives: 2016 Mustang GT premium
IDK, I have mixed feelings. I would welcome the instant torque and fast 0-60 times, but our current infrastructure is not even close to what will be needed to keep these things charged and I don't see it happening anytime soon if you live in a mostly rural area like me. Plus what happens if the electric grid goes down as its outdated and stressed already without adding all the cars they plan to it. And if your car dies in the middle of nowhere, what do you do? I heard they are not designed to be fixed either and if the battery goes bad, it is thousands of dollars expense to get it replaced. You won't have that V8 sound and feel or the whoosh from a turbo for those types of engines either.
Old 07-12-2021, 02:29 AM   #8
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
The only electric motor I want in my car is the starter for my V8.
Old 07-12-2021, 07:23 AM   #9
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 imp View Post
The only electric motor I want in my car is the starter for my V8.
Old 07-12-2021, 08:27 AM   #10
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
Keep in mind Texas power companies froze to death a lotta people in February when the windmills froze up and there was zero sun for the solar panels so i see a flaw in the green slaw. Upwards of 60 human-sicles i think i heard.

Lots of science and fact deniers out there nowadays and for some reason they seem to be in charge.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
Old 07-12-2021, 09:22 AM   #11
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67-LS1 View Post
Personally I think the electric muscle car is a cool concept. Bring them on.
My next swap may very well be a Tesla driveline in an early muscle car.
Some other really cool concepts came about in the last week too. The current admin said they would send out “Strike Forces” door to door over vaccines. (a strike force is a military operation) Last weekend, the FBI asked for families members to turn in family for “extremism” thought crimes.

You can have e cars and the 20 tons of water it takes to put them out when they catch on fire. And throw in most of DC on the conflagration too.

Last edited by Moto-Mojo; 07-12-2021 at 10:21 AM.
Closed Thread