Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

View Poll Results: Are you tired of people asking these questions?
Yes, I hate having to be honest with myself and putting my business out there! 1 5.00%
No, I like knowing there are others out there that feel the same as me. 19 95.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-26-2018, 05:41 PM   #1
flipstyledsm22
Let's go fishing!

Drives: a car with 8 cylinders
Question Garage Queens VS Street Kings

I'd like to know who all kept their ZL1 safe from driven miles and all who drove the devil out of theirs daily. I'd like to know if you had any regrets in your choice and if you would have done anything differently. Did you sell your ZL1 already? Did you get the experience you expected? Did you feel satisfied with your decision to drive it or not? Honesty is the best policy, so no bullshitting.

flipstyledsm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 05:53 PM   #2
flipstyledsm22
Let's go fishing!

I drove the devil out of my ZL1 every chance I had. I regret buying the vert... I should have bought a coupe so I could track her and not be governed to 155 mph. I enjoyed the very few times I dropped the top, hardly did it because the wife didn't want her hair to get messed up.

I sold the ZL1 a few days ago. I had it for sale for a LONGGGGG time, with hardly no promising hits. Bit the bullet and sold it to the dealer for $33k (which wasn't that bad IMO). I definitely got the experience I expected out of it!!! Loads of fun!!! I am totally satisfied with putting miles on it, especially after experiencing the delay of selling it for top dollar... that was a bummer in a way, but I got over it knowing I got plenty of seat time in her!

Last edited by flipstyledsm22; 03-27-2018 at 06:00 AM.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:00 PM   #3
TWOFORTYZ

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS 6M
I got my 1SS for a commuter, I would have done the same to a ZL1 if they were priced the same in my area as they are in the midwest.

For an example of destroying the value on what is a rare car, I daily drove my series one 240Z for about 4 years rain or shine. It was my commuter and road race vehicle. Do I regret it? No. Cars are not investments. They are tools. I used mine as did the original owner, it's now over 500,000 miles. It has still appreciated in value. A newer car that's depreciating? Drive the wheels off it.

The only car I am not pounding miles into is my Grandfathers Caprice, which has also seen commute duty and plenty of rain. It has sentimental value and can't be replaced, everything else is a consumable to me.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:59 PM   #4
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
When I first got mine I babied it a bit...I then decided what the hell, I'm going to enjoy it...I've had the fortune of a few 4 hrs trips on hwy that is not patrolled often and I've had a blast...The resale on these cars is also holding pretty good with mileage below 30k...Maybe my next vehicle will be a garage queen...

STUNNAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 06:56 AM   #5
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipstyledsm22 View Post
I drove the devil out of my ZL1 every chance I had. I regret buying the vert... I should have bought a coupe so I could track her and not be governed to 155 mph. I enjoyed the very few times I dropped the top, hardly did it because the wife didn't want her hair to get messed up.

I sold the ZL1 a few days ago. I had it for sale for a LONGGGGG time, with hardly no promising hits. Bit the bullet and sold it to the dealer for $33k (which wasn't that bad IMO). I definitely got the experience I expected out of it!!! Loads of fun!!! I am totally satisfied with putting miles on it, especially after experiencing the delay of selling it for top dollar... that was a bummer in a way, but I got over it knowing I got plenty of seat time in her!
You did pretty good considering you'd be lucky to get trade-in value from a dealer on an outright sale. I traded my '13 vert with 19k miles last July and got only $32k. I also found the vert somewhat lacking and went with a coupe this time around.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 07:29 AM   #6
ZL1 TIBS

Drives: 1968 Camaro, 2012 ZL1
59K daily driven miles on my 2012. Hoping to keep it until 2022 when it should have about 100K miles. This car makes an outstanding daily driver. Just be ready for higher than average maintenance costs.
ZL1 TIBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 09:13 AM   #7
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
I drive it when I can, and only on good days. I don't drive it to work, so it is used sparingly. I would not have it any other way.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 11:30 AM   #8
CAM....ZL1

Drives: 2012 ZL1
I drive mine every time I can, I don't daily drive it only because I have a company car. I have put 30,000 miles on her. Been to Florida, S.Carolina, Atlanta, Chicago and many passes at the strip. It has some chips on the paint,although it still looks amazing. There are scuffs on two of the wheels, wife curb rashing it. The only time its been in the shop is for regular maintenance or for getting modded. It has both bolt on's and internal mods.
including full fuel system and e85. I wouldn't change a thing and will never sell her.
CAM....ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 11:33 AM   #9
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Only goes out on the nicest days when I'm not driving one of my other cars, see sig, and it has about 4500 miles on it. Anything over 7500-10,000 is high mileage for my nice cars. All my family and friends are the same way. I know I'm outnumbered here and get all the weird looks for keeping my cars mint and low mileage but in my real world I'm normal. I rarely modify the cars past an intake too. I just like to move on to newer/latest and greatest things so I leave them stock and drive them for a few summers and then sell it and move on.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 12:44 PM   #10
flipstyledsm22
Let's go fishing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
Only goes out on the nicest days when I'm not driving one of my other cars, see sig, and it has about 4500 miles on it. Anything over 7500-10,000 is high mileage for my nice cars. All my family and friends are the same way. I know I'm outnumbered here and get all the weird looks for keeping my cars mint and low mileage but in my real world I'm normal. I rarely modify the cars past an intake too. I just like to move on to newer/latest and greatest things so I leave them stock and drive them for a few summers and then sell it and move on.
You'll get no shaming from me. I just want to know how everyone feels and their reasons. It will help others feel better about their decisions in the long run. I titled the thread based on the stereotypes, but it is strictly honest feedback for the most part.

Old 03-27-2018, 12:59 PM   #11
SinginHawk

Drives: 2015 2LT
I know mine's not a ZL1, but this is an interesting topic to respond to.

I absolutely love my car, and the V6 is perfect for getting me through college. Once I'm out, I'll buy a Z/28 and a bike. I haven't decided on a family car yet, and will cross that bridge when it comes.

But I will always have a gen5 Camaro.
Old 03-27-2018, 01:14 PM   #12
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Just for reference; the solution is never to drive less...the solution is to buy more cars and spread the miles around.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 03:11 PM   #13
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Never seen rain, or snow, or salt, or a car wash, never left outside overnight, always covered (unfortunately 6 plus months a year), cleaned and covered after every use. Goes straight to the track, or is punishing someone on the weekend with all that JRE horsepower. Call it Queen Bitch if you must..
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 04:11 PM   #14
ZEDL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Triple Black, 2015 2LT/RS
I took delivery of my 2013 ZL1 in November of 2012. It took quite a bit of time and effort to get the car, given that so few of the 7956 built that year were sold in Canada. It's working on its' 6th birthday with me.
She has only 39 KM, or 24 miles, on her. I never intended to treat my car as a garage queen, but that is what has taken place. She's never seen rain or snow, or for that matter, much sunlight. I keep a car cover on her at all times, in a climate-controlled garage, after a fairly in-depth procedure to properly store her. I do regular start-ups with full operating temps being attained, and some vehicle movement to keep the fluids moving as well.

I love my car. I get a great deal of enjoyment and personal satisfaction from owning her. I love taking off the cover and spending time looking over every inch of her. That makes me very happy.
The pride of ownership does it for me. The few miles that I've driven my car were amazing. I get that same great feeling from knowing that I own the car, and looking at her when I choose.
I'd said this once before, we all love our Camaros. Some of us love them differently. No one of us is right or wrong. We can love our Camaros differently.
The garage queen way has become my way, and I'm so completely happy with that.
ZEDL1 is offline   Reply With Quote