Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-24-2018, 08:36 AM   #1
tmalaquin

Drives: Blue ss 1le 18
SS 1LE track preparation

Gents,

Let me introduce myself as I am new to this forum. I recently bought a blue 18 SS 1LE. I just passed the 1500 miles break in so I immediately enrolled to a track day , curious to see how the car drive

So I read we need to flush the differential fluid (before and after the 1st track day) , upgrade the oil to 5w40 dexos 2 , and put DOT 4 fluid and season the brakes.

-About the brake fluid upgrade, I bought a motive power bleeder and 3 cans of RTF600.
Shall I bleed the clutch as well ? or only the brake lines ? did someone happen to post a DIY for it ? with quantities, bleeding sequences X lines/ H lines... Inner bleeder/outer bleeder...the manual a pretty messed up...

- Regarding the differential, I bought the 2 quarts of DexronLS fluid, I heard no LSD additive is required since is already pre-mixed in the LS fluid... but what is the procedure ? you drain & fill until you reach the fill plug height ? any DIY with pics available ?

Thank you guys for your guidance !
Tanguy
tmalaquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 12:53 PM   #2
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmalaquin View Post
-About the brake fluid upgrade, I bought a motive power bleeder and 3 cans of RTF600.
Shall I bleed the clutch as well ? or only the brake lines ? did someone happen to post a DIY for it ? with quantities, bleeding sequences X lines/ H lines... Inner bleeder/outer bleeder...the manual a pretty messed up...
In general, I always bled the inner caliper port first before the outer. Order was RR, LR, RF, LF. Never bothered with cycling the ABS and had no issues across 3 track days I did in the car last year on RBF600 fluid. If you can siphon off the reservoir and refill with DOT 4 first, you can easily reduce the amount of fluid needed for the RR corner. Just be sure not to completely drain your master cylinder in the process. I used 2 500ml bottles entirely to do mine with most of the first bottle going to the RR caliper.

Quote:
- Regarding the differential, I bought the 2 quarts of DexronLS fluid, I heard no LSD additive is required since is already pre-mixed in the LS fluid... but what is the procedure ? you drain & fill until you reach the fill plug height ? any DIY with pics available ?
Fill plug is located on the driver side of the diff case cover, drain plug is on back towards the bottom. Fluid you got should be fine. Steps are:

1) Lift the car so that the body is level (needs to be level so you don't under or overfill the diff). I used jack stands on all 4 pinch weld locations.
2) Remove the fill plug before draining. Although unlikely on a new car, you don't want to drain it and find that you can't refill if the other plug is stuck for some reason
3) Get a drain pan and pull the drain plug.
4) Reinstall the drain plug to the correct torque spec. Don't remember what that is off the top of my head, but I think it's somewhere on the forum.
5) Fill the diff either by transfer pump or pouring if you can get the bottle positioned to do so. You'll know it's full when it starts spilling out of the fill hole. I used about 1.75 quarts counting what was left in the transfer pump I used.
6) Run your track day, but try not to push the car to it's limits. I'd say 75-80%. The first track day is part of the diff break in because you get heavier activation on the track than you do on the street.
7) After the first track day, drain and refill the diff 1 more time.
8) From there on out, keep a log of your track usage and change the diff fluid after every 24 hrs of track time.

One other thing that you'll want to do is get the track alignment done. Your tires will last longer and the car will feel much better on the track.

Welcome to the club!

Last edited by Alpha1BC; 04-24-2018 at 01:06 PM.
Alpha1BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 02:49 PM   #3
FlashBang23

Drives: 2017 1LE
^What he said on procedures and I highly recommend getting a track alignment as well. Nice to see another local 1LE, welcome to the group
Old 04-24-2018, 04:34 PM   #4
tmalaquin

Thanks guys I will keep you posted. going to Waterford on May 11th
Old 04-24-2018, 06:10 PM   #5
mikem2104

Drives: 18 2SS 1LE, 20 Canyon Denali
i've got my 1le on order, just over the border in windsor. hopefully i'll see you guys at the track a time or two this year!

Current Garage:
18' 2SS 1LE, Hyper Blue
23' GMC Canyon Denali
Previously:
20' GMC Canyon Denali
16' 2SS 6MT, Hyper Blue, Kalahari, 20" PVW Chrome Split wheels, NPP, MRC (Total Loss)
14' Ford Edge Sport
06' Saab 9-7x,13' Nissan 370z Sport, 12' VW Jetta GLI, 02' Olds Bravada
mikem2104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 06:27 PM   #6
pbsinternet1le

Drives: 2017 1le current /2015 2ss 1le sold
Heads up! Your dealer will not know what the track alignment specs are. Get a readout and ask for at least -2.0 camber front -1.5 rear. Also watch for knee pads coming loose...tighten front sway bar end links.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:12 PM   #7
Pollock
LT4 M6

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbsinternet1le View Post
tighten front sway bar end links.
My car started clunking after my second track day on the way home. 1800miles. I hope this is my problem
Pollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 09:24 AM   #8
FlashBang23

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbsinternet1le View Post
Heads up! Your dealer will not know what the track alignment specs are. Get a readout and ask for at least -2.0 camber front -1.5 rear. Also watch for knee pads coming loose...tighten front sway bar end links.
^most dealers seemed clueless when I asked for track alignment. Matick Chevy off telegraph and 96 was the only metro Detroit dealer that seemed competent enough to handle the job. Also you will get a performance supplement book with the car, that contains the alignment specs along with other useful info like recommended engine oil etc for track days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem2104 View Post
i've got my 1le on order, just over the border in windsor. hopefully i'll see you guys at the track a time or two this year!
Hope so! I will be at Waterford a couple more times as well as Grattan and Gingerman at least once.

Quote:
Thanks guys I will keep you posted. going to Waterford on May 11th
Nice! I was there this past Saturday for OTD#1 and will be there again on June 15th.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:42 AM   #9
tmalaquin

Guys,

Its been one month I am trying to order this specific 5w40 dexos 2 oil through my dealer (serra Chevy Southfield)
No success at all , they can't get a hold of it --'
Any idea of where I can find it in Detroit metro ?
Did anyone perform a track day with the original 5W30 dexos 1 ? What oil did you use ?
Thanks
Tanguy
Old 04-26-2018, 11:08 AM   #10
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Guys,

Its been one month I am trying to order this specific 5w40 dexos 2 oil through my dealer (serra Chevy Southfield)
Did anyone perform a track day with the original 5W30 dexos 1 ? What oil did you use ?
Thanks
Tanguy
Don't need to go to a dealer.

Find an auto parts store, or online and look for Valvoline 5W40 SynPower MST...or another brand that folks can recommend, here. Chances are the dealer would have to do the same thing.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/VAR966
Old 04-26-2018, 11:10 AM   #11
RXtacy

Drives: 93 RX-7, 17 SS 1LE, 04 RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Don't need to go to a dealer.

Find an auto parts store, or online and look for Valvoline 5W40 SynPower MST...or another brand that folks can recommend, here. Chances are the dealer would have to do the same thing.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/VAR966
^ You should be able to find the Valvoline 5W-40 locally as Mr Wyndham mentioned.
If you have a bit more time you can get Motul 8100 X-Clean 5W-40 from amazon for a bit cheaper.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
RXtacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:12 AM   #12
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by RXtacy View Post
^ You should be able to find the Valvoline 5W-40 locally as Mr Wyndham mentioned.
If you have a bit more time you can get Motul 8100 X-Clean 5W-40 from amazon for a bit cheaper.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
THAT'S what it was...I couldn't remember if it was Motul, or something else...
Old 04-26-2018, 02:22 PM   #13
FlashBang23

Quote:
Guys,

Thanks
Tanguy
Avoid dealers at all costs....LOL. Im local (work right around the corner from Serra) and usually buy my 5w40 from NAPA auto parts or from O'Reilly Auto (Autozone will also carry it or order it for you). O'Reilly sometimes has a deal where you get 12 quarts for around $70 and NAPA will have it half off. Last time they had it I bought 30 quarts at $6 a quart. Also check out My Mechanics place in Livonia......you can rent their 4 post lift and do your own oil change for $12 plus the cost of your own oil/filter. I never did a track day on the 5w30 and have been running the Valvoline 5w40 called out in the track supplement paired with a Wix XP oil filter. One other option is Amazon. I get my differential fluid and brake fluid from there, hard to beat 2 day shipping.
Old 04-26-2018, 02:45 PM   #14
AZ_1LE

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
If you're feeling ambitious, swap out the transmission fluid. I put in some Amsoil ATF and it made an enormous difference in how smooth the transmission feels. Made a difference in terms of confidence and reliability at the track.
AZ_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote