Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southeast

Old 05-15-2012, 10:24 AM   #7351
Toyaholic
It's a sickness!

Drives: '69 442 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSS View Post
Glad everything is working out Scott!

So folks what did we decide about doing another meet at Stone Mountian?

Oh Chip, I'm taking the new Jeep for maiden voyage on the 26th down to Union Grove to see how it does!!
What do they do at Union Grove? Off road Baja style, trails, crawl or mud?
Old 05-15-2012, 10:57 AM   #7352
DarkFox1

Drives: 2012 2SS A6
you aught to come out here to the seney mud bogs.

if you wanna get stuck that is. I haven't been to one but I've seen videos, you need a pretty stout setup to survive.
DarkFox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:14 AM   #7353
ljustin293

Drives: 2010 VR CAMARO 2SS/RS
Sneak peak at the Twin Turbo Camaro

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...45#post4965145
ljustin293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:20 AM   #7354
ljustin293

Drives: 2010 VR CAMARO 2SS/RS
Our rear Hoosier Tires http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...59763402_n.jpg
ljustin293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:19 PM   #7355
hightower
LS3 Black Widow

Drives: 2012 45th 2SS LS3 and 1968 Mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFox1 View Post
you aught to come out here to the seney mud bogs.

if you wanna get stuck that is. I haven't been to one but I've seen videos, you need a pretty stout setup to survive.

I'm not one for mud. I like trails and rock crawling.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:38 PM   #7356
DarkFox1

o. Can't help ya there. Got a friend thats a jeeper, but I'm not. Dents and scratches make me cringe.

Ya know I was just thinking.. I enjoyed driving my 4th gen.. driving was a chore but not really.. it was slow in normal driving but if I needed a reminder of the power potential all I had to do was mash it.

I admit I'm disappointed in my 5th gen. When you mash the gas it fights you, it doesn't remind you of it's power but it's LACK of power.

in normal street driving I struggle to keep up with average people. This morning a mazda X9 or whatever (the big suv) out accelerated me and cut me off. I knew she was going to, and was trying to close the gap.. nope.. her mazda suv accelerates faster than my camaro.

Been reading off n on for weeks about what to do to the car, there's several options, but it sounds like getting this thing to 450whp is a real struggle naturally aspirated, and comes with a high price tag.

Don't get me wrong I love the little gadgets and ride quality and enjoy having a new car.. but I kinda wish I didn't pull the trigger at this point. :(
Old 05-15-2012, 01:46 PM   #7357
csjcsj

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 6spd
Ok, this is what was wrong with the pump!
Part 415-spring
Part 414-Piston
The piston was froze up not allowing oil to do its thing!
Old 05-15-2012, 01:59 PM   #7358
hightower
LS3 Black Widow

IMO, LS3 is the way to go. I can't believe the powertrain loss you guys see at stock. A member on here told me he was getting 288 rwhp in his L99 with a CAI and exhaust. I couldn't believe it until he said it went up after that cause he did the fuse pull. So he was at 288rwhp because of the low octane table.

James, have you done the fuse pull yet??
Old 05-15-2012, 02:18 PM   #7359
DarkFox1

Quote:
Originally Posted by csjcsj View Post
Ok, this is what was wrong with the pump!
Part 415-spring
Part 414-Piston
The piston was froze up not allowing oil to do its thing!

reminds me of the old accelerator pump problems the quadrajets used to have. It only had 2 modes.. wide open or totally closed off.

looks like a similar setup honestly, like I said there's really nothing to an oil pump so it has to be that the piston is too large or is inserted in such a way that it can get ****ed sideways and bind itself.

wasn't made to proper spec.. simply put. Glad you got it taken care of!

Hightower, (chip? yes?) no, I haven't. I have nearly 4000 miles on the car now. I can't imagine it hasn't learned by now. Again on the interstate it pulls pretty good! It's no MONSTER but it will pass on command, it's just in day to day driving it will not cooperate.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:26 PM   #7360
hightower
LS3 Black Widow

Quote:
Hightower, (chip? yes?) no, I haven't. I have nearly 4000 miles on the car now. I can't imagine it hasn't learned by now. Again on the interstate it pulls pretty good! It's no MONSTER but it will pass on command, it's just in day to day driving it will not cooperate.
Yep you got it right

You NEED to do the fuse pull. It'll take like 30 seconds to pull the fuse, leave the car with the fuse out overnight, next day put it right back in and you're done!

It's at least worth a try. With 4k miles, it could have learned the low octane table and could be stuck on that. Remember, it doesn't change back to the high octane table. It stays on the low octane table once it switches.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:28 PM   #7361
hightower
LS3 Black Widow

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38964

Link to Fuse pull thread^^^
Old 05-15-2012, 02:45 PM   #7362
DarkFox1

I've read about this fuse pull several times. Frankly, from years of toying around with cars. I don't believe it... and I don't believe even if it was pulling timing for lower octane, that it would a. be permanent and b. make more than a 5 FWHP difference.

That's why I haven't done it.

The dealer put a full tank of gas in it when I got it, he left the lot to do it and came back, I didn't bother asking the octane. I assumed it was regular however.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:32 PM   #7363
CamaroKid300
ace5.org

Drives: 2017 ZL1 M6
Quote:
o. Can't help ya there. Got a friend thats a jeeper, but I'm not. Dents and scratches make me cringe.

Ya know I was just thinking.. I enjoyed driving my 4th gen.. driving was a chore but not really.. it was slow in normal driving but if I needed a reminder of the power potential all I had to do was mash it.

I admit I'm disappointed in my 5th gen. When you mash the gas it fights you, it doesn't remind you of it's power but it's LACK of power.

in normal street driving I struggle to keep up with average people. This morning a mazda X9 or whatever (the big suv) out accelerated me and cut me off. I knew she was going to, and was trying to close the gap.. nope.. her mazda suv accelerates faster than my camaro.

Been reading off n on for weeks about what to do to the car, there's several options, but it sounds like getting this thing to 450whp is a real struggle naturally aspirated, and comes with a high price tag.

Don't get me wrong I love the little gadgets and ride quality and enjoy having a new car.. but I kinda wish I didn't pull the trigger at this point. :(
As much as you complain about the speed of your car something is wrong.

I've ridden in and drove auto and they are no slouch by any means.

And the fuse pull has been proven on the dyno and 0-60 times. It works, but you have to be on the low octane table for it to have any effect.

Here is the dyno proof.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36837

And more....this is a GM Bulletin....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAZZ View Post
#PIP4728: Higher Than Expected 0-60 MPH (97 KPH) Acceleration Time - (Nov 4, 2009)

Subject: Higher Than Expected 0-60 MPH (97 KPH) Acceleration Time

Models: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro

with V8 Active Fuel Management Engine (RPO L99)

and 6 Speed Automatic Transmission (RPO MYC)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Some customers may complain of higher than expected 0-60 MPH (97 KPH) acceleration times when hot ambient temperatures are present. In some cases, they may report 0-60 times around 7 seconds.

This may be the result of the vehicle being filled with regular grade unleaded gasoline at one time. If the vehicle has been filled with regular unleaded gasoline, the ECM may be compensating for the lower octane by retarding the ignition timing during certain driving conditions.

Recommendation/Instructions:
If SI diagnosis does not isolate the cause of this concern, perform the suggestions below if the customer wants the best performance from their Camaro:

In an area where it is legal to do so, take a snapshot of a 0-60 WOT acceleration event and compare the vehicle speed parameter to the snapshot timer to determine the 0-60 MPH time.
Determine what gasoline octane the customer has been filling the vehicle with.
• 2a. If they have never used anything but premium unleaded with a posted octane of 93 or higher, go to step 3.

• 2b. If they occasionally use regular or mid-grade gasoline, the gasoline must be removed from the tank and it must be refilled with premium fuel of 93 octane or greater. This can be done by advising the customer to switch to premium fuel of 93 octane or greater and returning after a few tanks of premium fuel have been consumed. Or, if immediate results are necessary, drain the fuel tank, refill it with premium fuel of 93 octane or greater, and drive the vehicle at least 15 miles to purge the old fuel out of the fuel rail and lines.

Reprogram the ECM with the latest TIS2Web calibrations to reset the ECM adapts. Normally this reset can also be accomplished by pulling the 2 main ECM fuses (F13R and F20U) shown in the ECM Power, Ground, MIL, and Serial Data Schematic (SI Document # 2209065).
In an area where it is legal to do so, take another snapshot of a 0-60 WOT acceleration event and compare it to the original snapshot to determine if the 0-60 MPH time has increased. If an increase is noted, advise the customer that they should only use premium unleaded gasoline with a posted octane rating of 93 or higher to continue getting the best performance from their Camaro. This is outlined on page 8-45 of the owner's manual. GM Connect Message G_0000037144 was also sent out on 9/2/2009 about filling stock units with premium gasoline.

Last edited by CamaroKid300; 05-15-2012 at 03:49 PM.
CamaroKid300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:40 PM   #7364
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Takes just a couple seconds to do. Just pull #5 and #20 and go to bed. When you wake up put them back in. Worst that could happen at this point is...... nothing happens.

Tags
atlanta, club, diane is great., free josh, j.t. is awesome, mti locks not rocks your car, mti rocks, mti rocks your mom's house, yep yep