Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 08-07-2012, 06:43 PM   #1
Cornflakes'Camaro
Counting down the days...

Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS
Newbie tune question

Which is better, a dyno tune or a handheld type tune?

I have CAI, LSR short shifter and a borla cat back which will be getting married to BBK headers and mid pipes this weekend...the tune will be after the header install.
Cornflakes'Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:29 PM   #2
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornflakes'Camaro View Post

I have CAI, LSR short shifter and a borla cat back which will be getting married to BBK headers and mid pipes this weekend...the tune will be after the header install.
An over the counter Hand Held tuner can Not Tune for your Mods, they are meant for completely stock cars.

I do Remote Custom Tuning Using an SCT X3 handheld Device, which Custom tunes are installed via Email.

I have tunes over 1000 Gen5 Camaros Successfully, so I am positive I can nail your Tune.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:34 PM   #3
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
Does the SCT save the stock tune so you can remotely return it in case of service or inspection sticker?
Mods: Heritage Grill, Blade Spoiler, Corrado Hoodliner Mural, Premium Engine Boxes, Radiator Shroud, Custom Painted Bowties, Dipstick & Engine Caps, RX Catch Can, Corsa cat back exhaust, CAI black powder coat cold air, Apex cold air intake scoop and Apex washer tank relocate kit, Dynatech SuperMAXX Ceramic Coated LT Headers, High Flow Cats, JRE470 Rough Idle Cam Package, DSS 1,000 RWHP Axels, Slowhawk Mustang Dyno Tune, QTP QTEC 66 Low Profile Cutouts and iTSX. 453 RWHP 427 RWTQ

WEB LINKS
BUILD
TIMING CHAIN FAILURE
TRANSITION FROM STOCK TO CAM VID
Maxspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:43 PM   #4
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxspeed View Post
Does the SCT save the stock tune so you can remotely return it in case of service or inspection sticker?
Absolutely.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:06 PM   #5
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
Cool. I'm on your sched Sept 4,5 and 6 for Dynatechs and JRE470 cam and 1,000RWHP Axels
Mods: Heritage Grill, Blade Spoiler, Corrado Hoodliner Mural, Premium Engine Boxes, Radiator Shroud, Custom Painted Bowties, Dipstick & Engine Caps, RX Catch Can, Corsa cat back exhaust, CAI black powder coat cold air, Apex cold air intake scoop and Apex washer tank relocate kit, Dynatech SuperMAXX Ceramic Coated LT Headers, High Flow Cats, JRE470 Rough Idle Cam Package, DSS 1,000 RWHP Axels, Slowhawk Mustang Dyno Tune, QTP QTEC 66 Low Profile Cutouts and iTSX. 453 RWHP 427 RWTQ

WEB LINKS
BUILD
TIMING CHAIN FAILURE
TRANSITION FROM STOCK TO CAM VID
Maxspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:31 PM   #6
stt816

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS M6
but is one better than the other? I live in Stamford, CT so I could travel up to Jannetty for the dyno tune. Is there any advantages of dyno over remote, and vise versa? Looking to tune after I get a cold air intake, maybe long tube headers as well.
Pfadt Race Engineering 1.25" Lowering Springs| Pfadt Spec Performance Street Alignment|ZL1 Front Bumper Conversion|ZL1 20x9 Rims|Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus 275/40R20Y Square Setup||Footwell Lighting|G2 Gold Painted Brake Calipers
Stainless Power Long Tube Headers|Cold Air Inductions Cold Air Intake|VMAX CNC Spiral Ported Throttle Body|Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback| Vitesse Throttle Controller
--Jannetty Racing Enterprises Dyno Tuned|408 RWHP
stt816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:23 PM   #7
JANNETTYRACING

With datalogging I can duplicate the performance level I would get on the Dyno
if you don't want to datalog a trip to my Dyno would be your best bet
Old 08-08-2012, 08:47 PM   #8
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
Corvette Camaro GM Truck performance tuning in Tampa

Quote:
Which is better, a dyno tune or a handheld type tune?.
Do you intend to use a wideband during tuning or wonder and guess your AFR?

Mail order tunes are very good to get your car up and running better than stock, but a dyno or street tune with a wideband is the way to optimize your vehicles performance.

Phil
www.TampaTuning.com
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:30 PM   #9
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
the way i look at it is if you have a known/great shop in your area then do dyno tune, but if thats not the case do a custom tune with Ted or something.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:58 AM   #10
DarkCry956

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
the way i look at it is if you have a known/great shop in your area then do dyno tune, but if thats not the case do a custom tune with Ted or something.
With you 100%
DarkCry956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:03 AM   #11
Cornflakes'Camaro
Counting down the days...

Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
that's a good way to look at it...since i've never had tuning experience I didn't know which opinion to take up.
Cornflakes'Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:16 AM   #12
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
that's a good way to look at it...since i've never had tuning experience I didn't know which opinion to take up.
Look around the site regarding JRE tunes.

Your set up is Very Common and Easy, and I have tuned over 1000 cars with every conceivable combination Successfully and in your case the Custom tune is FREE with purchase of the SCT X3 or ITSX tuner.

Ted.

Last edited by JANNETTYRACING; 08-16-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:05 PM   #13
Brandon@LSRPerformance

Drives: N/A
Quote:

I will just say the best way to tune a car is on a dyno. However, for most of your bolt-on street cars that do not have access to, or do not want to spend the money/time to have their cars dyno tuned. Our custom tunes are some of the safest and best out there, period.
Brandon@LSRPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote