Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 04-12-2015, 05:30 PM   #463
MackMan
Camaro CRAZY

Drives: 2019 OC 1SS/1LE
Looks awesome! I wonder why the speedometer needle led didn't work. Weird.
MackMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 03:05 PM   #464
vgradio

Drives: ZL1 convertible 2013 Silver Ice
I really like what you guys have done here. I have the idea to do something similar, but in multi color mode, using RGB leds.

To those who have done the led swap, I would be very pleased if you could tell me about the feasibility to do so.

I intend to remove the factory ice blue leds, and to install RGB led instead. I can obviously not use the PCB to sold the new led, and i think to run the 4 cables required, to a central RGB controller.

I would glue the new leds near to the position of the factory led. I did not find small RGB led, only the standard 5mm led shape. I guess i do not need as many 5mm led as the small factory one, I think of one for two. I could maybe use RGB SMD led from led strip, where space is restricted.

I would like to put these RGB led all around, in the door, the central console, the dash with light pipes, switches, gauge, DIC, steering wheel...

In order to simplify the cabling, I'd use one controller per door, and maybe 2 for the dash/console. These are very compact bluetooth type (lightbox from Blebox), controlled by smartphone. Great product by the way.

What do you think about my ideas?
Does it look feasible?
Any advise to make it a success?

Thanks for your reply.
vgradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 03:35 PM   #465
mikerogs

Drives: Black 2SS
still don't get it

I am stuck on the same part others got stuck on.

"There are three very small tabs on both the left and right side.
Use a tiny flat screwdriver to slide the tabs over so you can remove the surrounds.
These are the small surrounds that hold on the border/surrounds around the smaller temperature and gas needles.
Once the surrounds are off, you might be able to use your fingers and pry up on the needles to remove them."

I have no idea where these tabs are, or even if they are on the front (gauge) side or the rear (circuit board side). I have been looking at this for two days now and I am going crazy.

I wish someone would post a picture of this step exactly as it is, or draw some arrows on a previously posted pic, because showing the tabs after the board is already off is not helping me at all. Maybe it's just my old eyes, but I do not see these tabs. Please help.
Old 06-02-2015, 03:46 PM   #466
anglwngss
Texas Camaros

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green 2SS/RS
You are looking for pictures 12 and 13. I just went back and numbered them for (hopefully) easier viewing.
Old 06-02-2015, 04:26 PM   #467
mikerogs

Drives: Black 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by anglwngss View Post
You are looking for pictures 12 and 13. I just went back and numbered them for (hopefully) easier viewing.
thanks so much
Old 06-06-2015, 10:52 PM   #468
creektrack

Drives: N/A
Anglwngss....I think Mike got it figured out, I've been in contact with him over the phone...next step is to see if he can get the one bad led working on his own lol...

And to everyone else who has contacted me, I apologize if I haven't wrote you back or been able to help you, I've had some personal/family matters here lately that have been taking all my time, and I just got moved into a new house, so everything should calm down by the end of this week...

So with that being said, if anyone needs swaps, or even just tips/help, don't be afraid to contact me...
creektrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 01:25 PM   #469
sj71004

Drives: 2015 2SS RS Convertible Manual
Red LEDs

I want to thank everyone who posted to this thread. I used your advice and pictures to change my gauges halo light from blue to red. In the process I did break the step motor for the speedometer. I was able to find a CTS cluster at the Las Vegas Pic a Part. That cluster had the same step motor and it worked perfectly as a replacement. I have attached some pictures.
Name:  20170119_213028 (1).jpg
Views: 641
Size:  188.1 KB

Name:  20170120_125317.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  137.4 KB
Name:  20170119_213028 (1).jpg
Views: 641
Size:  188.1 KB
Name:  20170120_140052.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  33.4 KB

Name:  20170120_140100.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  73.4 KB

Name:  20160330_175552 (1).jpg
Views: 624
Size:  155.0 KB
sj71004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 05:43 PM   #470
jjamison

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
I know this is an old post but I’ve hit a snag, and I was hoping one of you could help me. I’ve swapped one of the leds in the halo with a red plcc2 from oznium. I went to test it and it doesn’t light up, and neither does another one in the halo. I’ve read though this entire thread, I know some other people were having this problem and fixed it, but I have resoldered this led at least 3 times, and tried switching to a new led(checking the polarity each time) and it still doesn’t work. When I test it with my multimeter in diode testing mode, the led will dimly light up so I know it’s working, and I know the solder is good because I can touch the positive to the new led and the negative to another led in the halo and it will show voltage, same thing when I swap it around. From google searches and asking others for advice it’s all the same thing, 1) check the soldering and 2) make sure the polarity is correct. I also can’t find anyone that does this kind of work anymore either to send it somewhere and have it done. This is my first time posting, I attached a picture hopefully I did it right.
jjamison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 07:27 PM   #471
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Drives: 2011 Silver Ice Metallic 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjamison View Post
I know this is an old post but I’ve hit a snag, and I was hoping one of you could help me. I’ve swapped one of the leds in the halo with a red plcc2 from oznium. I went to test it and it doesn’t light up, and neither does another one in the halo. I’ve read though this entire thread, I know some other people were having this problem and fixed it, but I have resoldered this led at least 3 times, and tried switching to a new led(checking the polarity each time) and it still doesn’t work. When I test it with my multimeter in diode testing mode, the led will dimly light up so I know it’s working, and I know the solder is good because I can touch the positive to the new led and the negative to another led in the halo and it will show voltage, same thing when I swap it around. From google searches and asking others for advice it’s all the same thing, 1) check the soldering and 2) make sure the polarity is correct. I also can’t find anyone that does this kind of work anymore either to send it somewhere and have it done. This is my first time posting, I attached a picture hopefully I did it right.

The only thing I would suggest is hooking it into the car and test it that way. I used a AA battery and 2 leads to test mine and never had an issue so I’m just guessing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-2019, 07:45 PM   #472
jjamison

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniCamaro View Post
The only thing I would suggest is hooking it into the car and test it that way. I used a AA battery and 2 leads to test mine and never had an issue so I’m just guessing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I did use the car to test it, still does not work, thank you for your response though.

Last edited by jjamison; 07-18-2019 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Worded it wrong
jjamison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 06:53 AM   #473
T.Kelly

Drives: 2010 SS
Wanted to thank everyone. Been living in this thread for a couple days and it's the funnest thread ever.
I'm all done and I'm all red, like all my Trans-ams were. Absolutely love it.

My only issue is Oil temp guage not working. I'll keep looking at it but everything seems to be ok there. Wondering if anyone else had the issue...
Thanks again everyone!
T.Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:48 AM   #474
LillyPinon

Drives: camaro v8
Looking great. But I don't think I would able to try this. Little tough.
LillyPinon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 07:51 PM   #475
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Just wanted to bump this up. Since this thread was originally posted, I've owned a 2012, a 2014, and then leased a 2016. My 2016 lease was up, so I bought a 2012 2SS/RS. I haven't even made my first payment on the car but I already swapped out the LEDs
Attached Images

"Gone But Not Forgotten"
2016 Camaro 1LT A8 - "Elmo"
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb"
2012 Camaro 1LS M6 - "Clifford"

Michigan FBody Association
http://www.mifbody.com/
meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 07:38 AM   #476
2011WhiteSS

Drives: 2011 White 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by meissen View Post
Just wanted to bump this up. Since this thread was originally posted, I've owned a 2012, a 2014, and then leased a 2016. My 2016 lease was up, so I bought a 2012 2SS/RS. I haven't even made my first payment on the car but I already swapped out the LEDs

Looks good. I definitely envy you guys that have the skills to do this kind of electrical work and have awesome soldering skills.
Until there is a step by step 5th grader version DIY for dummy’s I’ll just admire and dream. Lol lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2011WhiteSS is offline   Reply With Quote