Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-25-2015, 01:31 PM   #15
camarostar2010

Drives: 2011 SS
I have the same issue. Besides a weak battery in the summer do to a higher resistance with temp, and so much music in my car. When the car was hot and shut off between a few mins to an hr it would not turn on or i would take a few seconds to fire. Very annoying, and taxing on the starter to say the least. It is a definite temperature related issue. It only happens after the car was hot or running a while. It cold be super cold and the car always fired up. I am definitely going to change my starter into a much better unit. Thank you guys.
camarostar2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 03:01 PM   #16
Rabamaro

Drives: 2010 ABM SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazy View Post
yep. I get this problem. Struggles to start, then when it does fire up, throws the TC/ST lights, tach doesn't work, and get the 'Service Stabilitrac' warning.

I've looked everywhere, and decided that it's the starter getting too hot. I am considering having my headers ceramic coated, but in order to avoid the down time for that, I'm going to get either a new hood, or some hex vents to [hopefully] reduce engine bay temps.

If that doesn't help (and I'll know sometime this summer, bc it gets pretty warm here) I'll figure out the best starter for a replacement.

I had the exact same thing happen to me over the weekend after driving around all day. My headers are ceramic coated though...
Vararam Tune CAI, Vararam Power Wedge, 160 degree stat, VMax ported throttle body, Ceramic coated ARH 1 7/8" LTs with X-pipe, Borla S-Type Axle back, MGW short throw, 3.91s, Ported stock IM, BTR Stage IV cam, Heritage Grille, Backup camera, UMI Performance trailing arms and toe rods, dyno tune
Rabamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:15 PM   #17
Mb6000

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
I installed my new starter, but haven't gotten a chance to drive my car again. The weather turned shitty and snowed again. As soon as it's gets nice out, I will update on the results of the new starter.
'11 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3 M6| Black on Black| BMR Strut Brace| P&P Throttle Body| Cold Air Inductions Black CAI| 2" TSP LT Headers| Cat-Back Exhaust| Hurst Line Lock| Night Fury Cam| Brian Tooley Valvetrain| Melling 10296| C5R chain| Comp Cam rocker kit| 3.91 1LE Gear Kit| MPD1 Z Force Hood| BMR Lowering Springs| 480hp/454tq
Mb6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 03:06 PM   #18
MANNYS2SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS,LS3
Any up date with the starter? I have been having the same problem for a while. I installed a new battery and checked all wires and grounds, but no luck.
Name:  IMG_0065.jpg
Views: 2002
Size:  210.2 KB

LS-3, ProCharger D1SC
665. rwhp /562. rwtq @ 9.3 psi
MANNYS2SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:17 AM   #19
RGRCamaro

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MANNYS2SS/RS View Post
Any up date with the starter? I have been having the same problem for a while. I installed a new battery and checked all wires and grounds, but no luck.
Attachment 706494

Manny, I started a thread about this issue last week, OP commented that the starter he replaced it with, so far has fixed the issue! Another guy just replaced his starter with the OEM starter this weekend, so far has fixed his issue as well. I am going to replace mine as well.

RGRCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 11:40 AM   #20
MANNYS2SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS,LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGRCamaro View Post
Manny, I started a thread about this issue last week, OP commented that the starter he replaced it with, so far has fixed the issue! Another guy just replaced his starter with the OEM starter this weekend, so far has fixed his issue as well. I am going to replace mine as well.
Thanks

LS-3, ProCharger D1SC
665. rwhp /562. rwtq @ 9.3 psi
MANNYS2SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 03:12 PM   #21
alex3d

Drives: zl1
does anybody installed the powermaster starter?
anybody knows if it's the same starter for my zl1?
alex3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 05:00 PM   #22
kassem56

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
I have a similar problem and when I took it in they told me its the fuel pump. He went on to say that many of the 2010 and 2011 camaros have this problem. I was told that GM was supposed to recall the pumps but felt that it wasn't a major issue. Hope this helps.
kassem56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 05:45 PM   #23
Maddawg
2018 HBM ZL1 A10

Drives: 2018 HBM A10 ZL1, 2014 AG 2SS 1LE
Dang if u have heat start issues in Wisconsin.. in AZ my car might never start being it's already 400 frickin degrees before I even drive the dang thing! LoL
Maddawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 06:12 PM   #24
silverz28

Drives: 1996 Camaro Z28, 2012 2SS/RS
Same prob here. On my 3rd starter. Shop used wrap this time. Fixed so far.
2012 2SS/RS IOM, LS3, Aftermarket Hurst shifter, IOM interior, Borla "S", 1 7/8 Big Flow headers, ADM Race cold air, BMR 1" lowering springs, SLP Supercharger, Custom Comp Cam, Fore Innovations twin pumps, Flex Fuel Sensor
silverz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:44 AM   #25
flyer08
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb6000 View Post
After driving the car and go to start it again, the car won't start up always on the first try. It will just crank. The second time I try, it fires right up. I've read it could be the starter is heat soaked. If i let the car cool down a while, it will start fine. There is a bunch of posts about this, but never found the correct fix.
I have the same issue when I was i. Florida and still have it in texas. I assumed it was the heat causing it but since it doesn't do it all the time hard to replicate for someone knows what to look for
flyer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:47 AM   #26
flyer08
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kassem56 View Post
I have a similar problem and when I took it in they told me its the fuel pump. He went on to say that many of the 2010 and 2011 camaros have this problem. I was told that GM was supposed to recall the pumps but felt that it wasn't a major issue. Hope this helps.
I've already replaced mine with a zl1 so thats not the issue
flyer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 04:48 PM   #27
anthony martinez

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ss
I had the same issue it had the light show on my dic and dragging. I went through 2 gm starters, (the original one and then a replacement), then looked to replace with after market. After the gm starters I decided on msd. Well after about a year the msd starter started to drag as well and shortly after that I had the dic messages. I knew that it was heat soak as if you let it sit long enough it would start like normal. I ordered another stater. Let me add that with the msd starter you have 3 adjustment positions to get you more clearance from heat sources and fitment. It wasn't enough for the headers. I maybe had an 1/8" or so between the pipe and starter armature. So my fix to this issue is this. I took the bolts out of the mounting plate where it bolts to the starter housing. I rotated the starter to the opposite side of the plate. Placed the starter back on the mount pad of the block to see if it would clear all heat sources and mount without hitting my block. It looked good I re-indexed the holes for the nose piece to the starter housing with transfer punches. Got the starter out drilled my new indexed holes and threaded them to the correct size. I was only able to use 2 screws rather than three but it is secure. I do know that I have seen a 9 position starter that would get you the same results. But I already bought the starter and wasn't going to waste a weekend not driving my car. Good luck with your problem.
anthony martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 08:56 PM   #28
ksmrz

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Your cammed I see? Prolly need to add some air to the airflow while cranking table. Typically when its cool it adds more air in and as it warms up it progressively drops off. Hince why it don't pop off right away that'd be my guess if everything else is good with your tune.
2010 2SS LS3 228/235 Cam Motion custom ground cam, AI 280cc ported heads, Dynatech 1 7/8" long tubes, catless mids, CAI intake, ATI 10% UDP, CORSA cat back, Slp 160 tstat, gm 3.91s/Tru trac, EFI LIVE tuned by myself
ksmrz is offline   Reply With Quote