Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-23-2016, 02:07 AM   #1
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
no fun just going for a ride anymore

I bought collector car insurance for the Camaro this year as I only use the car to go for drives and never for work or shopping. Basicly the insurance covers the car for pleasure use. I just drove about 200 miles and I was thinking this sucks. If im not behind some a hole doing 45 in a 55 im catching up to one in a minute or so. of course the idiots continue doing 45 in the 30mph zones. I was pretty much pissed off the whole time because of idiots. Then the idiots do 70 to catch up and ride your ass after you pass them. Its always like this the last few years. I remember when I was a kid I could drive all over the place and i was never behind any one. One nice thing about the Camaro is when you get that a hole that does 45 when you cant pass and 55 when you can. you can just blow by them and even though they floor it you can still pass them. I can rarely ever get it into 5th and was in 4th for many miles off and on because of idiots. They LOVE to drive inbetween gears.
called xm today to turn it back on and in india the car is a Camaroo. lol
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 02:29 AM   #2
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Drives: 2011 2LTRS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
I bought collector car insurance for the Camaro this year as I only use the car to go for drives and never for work or shopping. Basicly the insurance covers the car for pleasure use. I just drove about 200 miles and I was thinking this sucks. If im not behind some a hole doing 45 in a 55 im catching up to one in a minute or so. of course the idiots continue doing 45 in the 30mph zones. I was pretty much pissed off the whole time because of idiots. Then the idiots do 70 to catch up and ride your ass after you pass them. Its always like this the last few years. I remember when I was a kid I could drive all over the place and i was never behind any one. One nice thing about the Camaro is when you get that a hole that does 45 when you cant pass and 55 when you can. you can just blow by them and even though they floor it you can still pass them. I can rarely ever get it into 5th and was in 4th for many miles off and on because of idiots. They LOVE to drive inbetween gears.
called xm today to turn it back on and in india the car is a Camaroo. lol
That will be $5.
Old 04-23-2016, 03:06 AM   #3
G701LE

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99 IBM silver stipes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stacy View Post
That will be $5.
LMAO

Mods = Not enough....
G701LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 05:04 AM   #4
The_Driver
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1LS M6
I agree. Just cruising around just trying to enjoy your ride is a somewhat stressful experience nowadays especially around here. You either got people zooming up from behind you or slow pokes in front that suddenly try to speed up when you try to get around them.

Just the other day, I had three separate incidents. First one was a numb nut in a '05+ Frontier pickup who tried to goose it hard from a dig at a red light. It was a two lane merge into one and I was right beside him at the light before the merge. When the light turned green, I could see the truck lurch forward pretty hard and his head jerk to the side inside the cab from the G-force. It was funny looking. Still, he didn't have a chance when I redlined it in first and second gear to instantly get ahead of him. However, after I got in front of him and started cruising, he tried to tail me for a bit because I guess his fragile ego got hurt.

The second one was a guy in a newer Mercedes S550. I was stopped at a red light when he tried to squeeze in behind me from a side street with his backend sticking out in the adjacent lane. I looked in the rearview mirror three times to make sure he wasn't too close, but there was nothing I could do about it anyway. When the light turned green, I made a right turn onto another street and slowly accelerated ahead. All of a sudden, in my rear view mirror, I see this big black Mercedes S550 screaming up from behind me in the other lane. I could hear his engine wail like a jet engine as he floored it to blow by me only to cut in front of me and suddenly brake to make a left hand turn ahead of me. Man, I've never seen a big Mercedes accelerate like that. All that noise and reckless display of speed just because I looked at him kinda hard when he tried to squeeze in behind me at the previous light. WTF? lol!

The third one was some dufus in a clapped out prerunner look Ford Ranger with what looked to be 4" spacers on the front wheels. I was in the left lane while he was in the right. I could see him coming up on the vehicle in front of him as I slowly accelerated to get up to speed. He was able to squeeze in front of me āt the last minute. At least he used his blinker when he got in front of me though. At the red light up ahead, I could see him looking at me in his rear view side mirror to see what kind of reaction I would have. I just looked down at my radio and fiddled with the radio buttons acting like I didn't care.

In the old days, it used to be an incident or close call every few weeks. Nowadays, it several incidents and or close calls in one day.
The_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 05:14 AM   #5
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Give me a nice warm sunny day, and I just put the top down , cruise with the traffic, listen to the SC whine and just lean back and smile. Even after 3 1/2 years, every time I get in the car the grin just spreads from ear to ear.

I'm in the zone and could care less about traffic.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 05:52 AM   #6
kilgore70

Drives: 2010 RS
i drive a co. car a fair amount for my business....got to the point where i didn't enjoy driving like i used to, just like the op...beat up caravans with 4 or 5 sun bleached bumper stickers, ford diesel trucks with big stacks, left laners doing 50....etc..etc
....but i have to say my recent buy of a camaro has put the fun back into it for me..wife and i take off on the weekends with no per-determined destination..i use cruise control now more than ever...i drive slower, and the bs doesnt bother me...just knowing i can boot it if i wanted to is enough now...and i'm smilin' again behind the wheel
kilgore70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 06:49 AM   #7
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Getting ready to go to work its 4:30 A.M., I am pulling a 12 on a weekend like I will tomorrow Making Money to pay off that engine... 150 th anniversary of where I work Is the 12th of MAY, I was given two weeks ago the push to paint our Admin building a four story building with a vehicle salley port on one side and covered in arctitectural reliefs and columns for the fortress look that hasn't been painted in a decade and more and not done well SO I am going back in the Articulating boom high lift to roll and brush.... And the front is done only on a weekend..... The sides I had to force big bosses in moving to do anything and I am fighting for clear skys while running a inmate crew, and supporting all internal physical plant operations and letting work orders pile up as I have them spreading 150 yards of bark on "making a silk purse out of a sows ear ...... lipstick on pig" Work is what it is, sometimes you have to be, as I have always been : the "go to guy" I step my game up.... And Chevy coming back out with the Camaro stepped its game up with the fifth gen. The deal is I daily drive my beast, wanker with Stang reved his engine a couple cars ahead of me just pulling out of work into the 35 with his headers and exhaust he sounded like crap........... Which he thought was nice...a tinny sound, I replied even though the engine is cold with just giving it enough gas in first merging in to chime back with showing him a fish tail then ....right side pass as I could go faster in that lane which was unclogged.

That's what makes the pain and stress feel a little better when constantly dealing with big egos is to have a refuge unto yourself. Even my wife understands when once in a while I get pissed at other motorists utter stupidity and vent a little..... And she hangs on....LOL That's when she is not complaining if I drive too aggressively banging through the gears and don't just make it more smooth for her bitchometer reading if shes in that mood... LOL Have a nice day, time to play fallout 4 decompress and hit the ground running. I get er done.
Old 04-23-2016, 07:11 AM   #8
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
LOL, got a ticket in my Tahoe downtown. 43 in a 35. Really?!? Crime, shootings going crazy and we've got half the force harassing taxpayers that pay their salaries?

Anyway, counties in IN have "deferral" programs, a creative money-maker. You pay about a 50% premium over the normal ticket, agree that you were guilty and if you get no more tickets in six months, the first one disappears completely. No record, no points and importantly, no insurance ramifications. So, I am on pins and needles towing the line when the Camaro comes out until the end of Sept.
Old 04-23-2016, 07:13 AM   #9
snarky
ultracrepidarianism

Drives: '14 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP '18 Accord Sport
i have to pay for a pleasant drive. take the newer toll roads for a couple of bucks and skirt the city. the other choice is go uptown to the main interstate and enjoy 18mph stop and go. no thanks. the only alternative is sunrise Sunday morning. no one gets up before 10am.
Old 04-23-2016, 08:45 AM   #10
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
Maybe you need to take it out to an HPDE at a road course near you a few times a year . . . if passing on the street was only half as courteous as point-by passing at 100+ on the track <sigh>

Your collector car insurance most likely wouldn't cover any incident on track property, but you can buy supplemental insurance specifically for track time.

Norm
Old 04-23-2016, 09:08 AM   #11
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
I only go out at night, so I don't have to deal with idiots ...
Old 04-23-2016, 09:28 AM   #12
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
We don't have major traffic issues here but for me its the A$$hats who rev at me or launch hard in POS cars. Fart cans and the like. Had a guy in a Charger RT rodding at me this week. It is really getting old....
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:30 AM   #13
Rusty35

Drives: 2013 ZL1
What I don't understand
According to some folks the visibility in the camaro is so bad you guys shouldn't be able to see all these people being idiots!
Rusty35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:47 AM   #14
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Fortunately, where I live, it's still fun to just go for a drive. The town is small with very little traffic, more then 6-8 cars at a stop light during 'rush hour' is considered a traffic jam. Additionally, there are plenty of mountain and back roads within just a few miles where you can go for a 50 to 300 plus mile day cruise and see relatively few cars. To hit any real traffic where you start dealing with traffic and idiots you have to drive 40 miles North to St George, UT, or 80 miles South to Las Vegas, NV.

Just a couple of weeks ago, took a 300 mile round trip drive out to the 'Lil A'le-inn on ET highway for lunch in the Corvette. Saw no traffic and relatively few cars/trucks the whole way. A few weeks prior, we took my niece who was visiting the long way back to Vegas, through the Valley of Fire. Saw less then a dozen vehicles the whole way until we hit Vegas, all but two were going in the opposite direction. In the next couple of weeks (weather dependent) we will be taking a 250 mile round trip drive in the Camaro out to the Grand Canyon North Rim. These are just a few of the recent drives we've taken or have planned.

Like everyone else, I run into the occasional a-hole or idiot that doesn't know, understand or follow simple road/traffic laws and courtesies. But I don't let them ruin my day and I still find just getting out and driving to be fun and a great way to spend an afternoon or day

Last edited by Welker2; 04-23-2016 at 10:01 AM.
Welker2 is offline   Reply With Quote