Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-23-2010, 09:42 AM   #1
mackvenom1

Drives: 2010 Mercedes-Benz C300 Sport 4M
Send a message via AIM to mackvenom1
ONLY For Drivers in States that Require a Front Plate

Have you gotten a ticket for not having a front plate on?

How much was the ticket for?

Have you been given a ticket by a metermaid or traffic cop while your car was parked and you were away from it?

Do you otherwise use a front plate?

I'm currently about 60%-40% in favor of not using a front plate. Being stopped by the cops or given a ticket while I am parked will be a big pain in the ass and the wallet. This is especially the case in White Plains and New Rochelle, where everywhere you go requires you to feed a meter usually any time of day... and meter maids and SuperCops with nothing better to do are always on the prowl in parking lots.
mackvenom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:44 AM   #2
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
No tickets, no warnings, no front plate since 9/5/09 No plans on putting it on, unless forced!
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:52 AM   #3
gregus73

Drives: 2010 Blue Challenger R/T
use an aftermarket front plate holder.
no tickets.
was not ok with drilling holes in the front bumber.
gregus73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:52 AM   #4
rmpackers
Ride this Chevy

Drives: 2010 RJT RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Js View Post
No tickets, no warnings, no front plate since 9/5/09 No plans on putting it on, unless forced!
Ditto brother, no plate since 7/22/09.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:52 AM   #5
WadeWilson
How U Doin?

Drives: 2014 CTS-V Coupe
Had mine since 8/8/09 and no ticket yet and have no intentions of putting it on unless I have to.
WadeWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:52 AM   #6
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
I hate having to have a front plate, but I do have an awesome bracket.
2010 SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:53 AM   #7
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
Here the tag for no front plate is $127 bucks.

You can't issue a citation to a parked car, the car has to be in operation.

I cannot say if our laws/ fines are the same as NY though.

Police don't generally stop people for this, and far less than stopped get tickets.

However, it is like anything else. You know not putting it on is illegal. So if you get tagged for it, don't be one of those guys that starts a "I got a ticket how do I get out of it" threads.
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:54 AM   #8
Partick

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I put my plate bracket on with zip ties to avoid damageing the front bumper. In all honesty the front plate doesn't look all that bad and I don't have to worry about getting asked for my autograph by the long arm of the law...
Partick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:58 AM   #9
Joemaro

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackvenom1 View Post
Have you gotten a ticket for not having a front plate on?

How much was the ticket for?

Have you been given a ticket by a metermaid or traffic cop while your car was parked and you were away from it?

Do you otherwise use a front plate?

I'm currently about 60%-40% in favor of not using a front plate. Being stopped by the cops or given a ticket while I am parked will be a big pain in the ass and the wallet. This is especially the case in White Plains and New Rochelle, where everywhere you go requires you to feed a meter usually any time of day... and meter maids and SuperCops with nothing better to do are always on the prowl in parking lots.

I'm from Westchester too, and I'm in Yonkers and White plains all the time, I'm not sure how much a front plate ticket is, but in those areas I wouldn't risk it unless it was a weekend car.

Luckily for me I've been living in Michigan for the past 5 months or so, so I bought and registered my car here... no front plate When I move back to NY in April and need to register my car in NY I'm going to be looking into this:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...te+flip+holder

I hear it's not all that sturdy, so I'm still searching for a better fix... plenty of threads on these boards about front plates tho.
Joemaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:01 AM   #10
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
I took delivery of my Camaro on June 12th, 2009. Here I am, eight months later, still nothing.

I received a speeding ticket in October (I think) and the officer did not mention anything about not having a front plate.
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:07 AM   #11
joe.thompson25

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT CGM A6
I've only had mine for a little over 3 weeks but so far none of the many cops I've seen have done anything. None of my friends here in DFW with no front plates have ever been ticketed for it either.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:28 AM   #12
DON_RAFA
NY5THGEN

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS/A6/SIM/IO
I got a Swift retractable plate frame check it out

I didnt want to run a front plate but I was stopped once and given a warning so to avoid future problems I got this frame. Check this thread out if your interested theres was even a discount for forum members: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ighlight=swift
DON_RAFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:29 AM   #13
Kendell347
Doc

Drives: BLACKOUT & Fifty
Personally I wouldn't look for a reason to get pulled over. The night I took delivery of my car, I didn't have front plate, I was being grilled by multiple cops. As soon as I got home, I zip tied the plate bracket to the lower grille. Its definitely removable and being that I put foam on the back, it will not scratch the paint.

PS... in NY you CAN get a ticket if your car is parked without a plate. Been there done that with another one of my cars.
1100-7/20/2009 * 6000-2/4/10 Proud Owner of Autographed Litho # 1282010 Camaro 2 SS/RS - BLACKOUT & 2017 Camaro 2 SS - 50th Anniversary #894 WWW. NY5THGEN.COM
Kendell347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:32 AM   #14
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Most of those hide-a-way brackets won't fit the GFX package, so...

At least there's none I am aware of that do!
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote