Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 10-22-2020, 11:42 PM   #1
jcampos

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro SS
Oil analysis

What's up guys. Just thought I'd share my Blackstone Oil Analysis with everyone. Ive searched and seen other people's reports... I don't know if it's of any concerns especially with my high mileage but the only things that stood out are iron, boron and magnesium. I'm not real sure if these numbers are the norm or not but here are a few specs of my car.

2014 LS3, 86,500k (as of the test), daily driven. Car has full bolt-ons plus 93 octane tune and catch-can. I have used Amsoil full synthetic xl 5w-30 and Amsoil filter, since I bought the car at 2,400 miles. Oil changes/filter are done every 6k miles.

Should I be worried about anything? I plan on doing a whole top end rebuild including new heads cam etc this summer.
Attached Images

Last edited by jcampos; 01-28-2021 at 10:20 PM.
jcampos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 07:31 AM   #2
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
I would consider changing to a cheaper oil and changer more often and see what happens with the numbers.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 07:14 PM   #3
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
I used to be an Amsoil disciple and still am - to a degree. I actually don’t use it for the extended change intervals. I just feel using GREAT oil and changing it often is key. That said, I am retiring so I may have to rethink the ‘cheaper’ approach and keep my intervals the same. I would support that notion.
Old 10-25-2020, 12:40 PM   #4
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
Calcium levels are high.
Probably your air filter allowing too much particulate pass thru.
Which one are you using?
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 01:03 PM   #5
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
I used to be an Amsoil disciple and still am - to a degree. I actually don’t use it for the extended change intervals. I just feel using GREAT oil and changing it often is key. That said, I am retiring so I may have to rethink the ‘cheaper’ approach and keep my intervals the same. I would support that notion.
I am on my first Amsoil Z-Rod 10w30 fill right now. I've got another 1300 miles before it's time to change. I have decided on a 4k interval on this refreshed build. I think I am going to stick with the Amsoil, but it is taking some getting used to paying nearly $100 for an oil change. At the rate I am driving now, that is 7-8 months per change/fill.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 11:31 AM   #6
jcampos

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstuntman View Post
Calcium levels are high.
Probably your air filter allowing too much particulate pass thru.
Which one are you using?
I have cold air inductions with the insulated box and the bumper air scoop modification
Old 10-27-2020, 11:32 AM   #7
jcampos

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
I would consider changing to a cheaper oil and changer more often and see what happens with the numbers.
What do you mean cheaper oil? Like Mobile, Pennzoil etc etc?
Old 10-27-2020, 01:19 PM   #8
gtstorey

Yes, a good generally available synthetic like mobile 1, and change at about 3K miles.
Old 10-27-2020, 03:06 PM   #9
jcampos

Quote:
Yes, a good generally available synthetic like mobile 1, and change at about 3K miles.
Sorry I don't mean to be ignorant but what exactly is this going to do? Changing my Amsoil with a cheaper oil or company? Just curious my man
Old 10-27-2020, 03:20 PM   #10
SIM GhostrdrZ

Drives: ‘14 Z/28 ‘14 ZL1 M6 vert
If you want to be more “scientific” about following your numbers then stick with the oil you’ve used and then change oil at 3k and see if those oil analysis numbers cut in half as well. I don’t see what completely changing brand of oil and cutting interval does because then you need to build a completely new baseline of what your engine does with the new oil brand.
When conducting data analysis, you must change as few variables at each given study as possible so you can follow the outcome.
But maybe there’s more to it. I digress
SIM GhostrdrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 03:22 PM   #11
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcampos View Post
Sorry I don't mean to be ignorant but what exactly is this going to do? Changing my Amsoil with a cheaper oil or company? Just curious my man
Not sure I understand that either, unless he is saying to reduce cost, drop to a less expensive oil and change the oil more frequently.

I would just lower your interval and see if that makes a difference. But changing to a different oil when you are trying to make comparisons via analysis isn't helpful imo. For instance, maybe make your next change at 4k miles instead of 6k while using the same oil. This will make the Blackstone comparison much easier to interpret since all base additives will remain the same.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 04:00 PM   #12
gtstorey

I guess it was mostly a backwards way of saying that I feel like running any of the oil in a highly stressed engine 6000 miles is too much and that the only reason to do that is that the oil is too costly to change it more often. Less about the analysis and more about the wear that it indicates.
Old 10-27-2020, 04:27 PM   #13
SIM GhostrdrZ

Drives: ‘14 Z/28 ‘14 ZL1 M6 vert
Quote:
I guess it was mostly a backwards way of saying that I feel like running any of the oil in a highly stressed engine 6000 miles is too much and that the only reason to do that is that the oil is too costly to change it more often. Less about the analysis and more about the wear that it indicates.
Gotcha, I think. If there truly is an issue and the engine has seen amsoil almost exclusively, I’d be calling AMSOil to start asking questions about the analysis and then hopefully he lets those of us that use AMSOil know what they tell him. Might not be an issue at all and that’s why I’d say not to add any other oils into the equation.
But it’s not worth throwing expensive oil into a junk engine, if I understand you correctly. He just needs to get to finding out if his engine is junk first? I’ll end up changing my AMSOil with less than 200 miles on it this time, damn covid. Hoping to get at least 201 miles on next oil change. Ha!
SIM GhostrdrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 11:37 AM   #14
jcampos

I don't necessarily think my engine is junk and I do t want to throw a different oil into the comparison here. I baby my car for the most part and is a true daily driver. I will be changing my oil at about the 4k interval as well as getting the analysis on it. I will report it back to this thread when I do.