Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-18-2010, 09:12 AM   #155
coolman

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroincarolina View Post
I had something similar happen when I first got mine. I almost had an accident ironically enough right in front of the dealer I did NOT buy from. That would've been awful. I tried to accelerate out in traffic but was locked out of second and third. Let me tell you.....all it takes is a half second to get in trouble. Anyway, I installed the skip shift eliminator and am happy as a lark with it!!!!
Women divers

Just Kidding
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:22 AM   #156
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Drives: Cargo van.
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroincarolina View Post
I had something similar happen when I first got mine. I almost had an accident ironically enough right in front of the dealer I did NOT buy from. That would've been awful. I tried to accelerate out in traffic but was locked out of second and third. Let me tell you.....all it takes is a half second to get in trouble. Anyway, I installed the skip shift eliminator and am happy as a lark with it!!!!
Go back to first gear. Not a hard concept.

Anyways skip shift has been around since 1993. Nothing new here folks. All it takes is .99 cents and a piece of electrical tape and problem solved.

That is all.

BTW Ive never had a problem with skip shift, nor have I ever heard of anyone getting into an accident because of it. Not saying it cant or never has happened, but being in the fbody community for over 10 years I would say this is the first Ive ever heard of it being a "danger" more so than a nusance.
rodimus prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:39 AM   #157
T D C

Drives: hurst m6 V8 BLK 2SS vin 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhaus76 View Post
It is there to avoid the gas guzzler tax! I would much rather pay $30 and 30 minutes of my time over gas guzzler tax. Yes, it is stupid and useless, but, you can disable it.

GM has been putting this on its V8/M6 cars since about 1998. The C5 Corvette and the later 4th gen Z28 and T/As had it too.

Spend less time complaining about it and more time on SLPs website ordering the jumper. Install and enjoy!
perhaps in the USA but here in Canada the gas guzzler tax is on the size of the engine and i know its cheap and easy to fix but i am sure you will not save a penny of fuel with this device.
T D C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:09 PM   #158
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by T D C View Post
perhaps in the USA but here in Canada the gas guzzler tax is on the size of the engine and i know its cheap and easy to fix but i am sure you will not save a penny of fuel with this device.
sorry, missed you were one of our northern brothers. Correct, different laws pertain to Canada. Since the car had to conform to the US market and all its BS, you guys got stuck with CAGS. (skip shift for us laymen). The feature will save you fuel IF and only IF you drive like a total grannie 100% of the time. But if it gets us US folks past the GGT, Amen to it. I will gladly lay on my back for 10 minutes and plug it in!
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:05 PM   #159
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Well I suppose trying to suggest this one more time can't possibly hurt. I've driven every car GM has installed CAGS on and put a lot of miles on those cars. The Camaro is BY FAR the least intrusive of any of the previous cars.

But the simplest and easiest way to learn to drive your car such that CAGS does not force you to 4th is to simply pull out of first down to the neutral gate and push the shift lever to the right then back over and down to 2nd. It becomes 2nd nature and it will be just how you shift to second when you are driving easy.

This driving style has worked for me since they invented the thing. If you are just pulling away from a light or driving normally this will work if you don't want to disable the system.

And don't get me wrong, I don't like it any better than you guys, but it is a good work around to improve CAFE and avoid the Guzzler Tax.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:10 PM   #160
Chrisrp454

Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS/RS M6, 98Z28 M6
Bought my 98 Z28 in May of 98. I still have her she has 245,000+ on her and I have never had a skip shift issue, nor have I had one in the new one at 6000+ miles.

Ordered 5/23/2009
3400 with TPW of 08/03/09
3800 8/11/2009
Arrived 8/21/2009 2SS/RS/Aqua Blue/Grey Interior
Chrisrp454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:13 PM   #161
jheike

Drives: 2010 SS
Ship Shift - 2010 SS 6 spd

My heart goes out to all the owners who have had to tolerate this transmission. I'll be frank, this is the worst manual transmission I have ever had to drive. I purchased this thing in Oct 09 (2SS) and immediately experienced transmission and shaking (chassis) within the first week. (I wish I would have taken it to the hi-way before I signed the deal.) I finally lemon lawed the thing in Nov 09 subsequent to having the car in the shop @ 7 times at three dealers. The sad thing has been all the Chevy mechanics have been totally ignorant as to how to approach this car. I have driven 3 other 2010s (SS) identical, and there seems to be that this trans feels different in all. In short here's what I have:

1.)The play on this 6 spd trans is roughly 1 inch. (Its either in gear or out)
2.)I have still to this day smell clutch when I have to modestly work that 1 inch of play in traffic, or up a hill.
3.) In first gear, I have a pop, pop, pop when taking off. (slowly)
4.) I have always had difficulty shifting thru the gears in traffic, and so have the Chevy mechanics. (On this, I saw a video on You-Tube this week where apparently the Corvette Z06 was experiencing the sticky shift problem. Well... changing the Brake/Clutch fluid cured this problem. I saw my fluid was molasses brown, and contained specs in the reservoir. This didn't happen overnight, and I'm speechless that approx. 5 mechanics and the tech rep from Chevy failed to approach this mechanic's elementary 101 hydraulic fluid requirement. Anyway $8.00 in Dot 3, and a turkey baster helped this nuisance. From the video apparently clutch dust penetrates the throw out assembly and contaminates the fluid.) Check the fluid, it should be clear! I changed the fluid 5 times…monitoring.
5.) Many times when shifting the car will rocks back and forth. Never had manual trans do this all the time.

As a last note, I did have an attorney take this on (lemon law), and it has been worth it. Now the dealers are attempting to turn a wrench. I would recommend anyone who has been having similar problems with this car to do the same....you spent $30K plus didn't you?

I'd appreciate feed back if your 2010 Camaro SS with the 6 speed has been experienceing any of my symptoms.
jheike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:19 PM   #162
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Drives: Cargo van.
rodimus prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:55 PM   #163
T D C

Drives: hurst m6 V8 BLK 2SS vin 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by jheike View Post
My heart goes out to all the owners who have had to tolerate this transmission. I'll be frank, this is the worst manual transmission I have ever had to drive. I purchased this thing in Oct 09 (2SS) and immediately experienced transmission and shaking (chassis) within the first week. (I wish I would have taken it to the hi-way before I signed the deal.) I finally lemon lawed the thing in Nov 09 subsequent to having the car in the shop @ 7 times at three dealers. The sad thing has been all the Chevy mechanics have been totally ignorant as to how to approach this car. I have driven 3 other 2010s (SS) identical, and there seems to be that this trans feels different in all. In short here's what I have:

2.)I have still to this day smell clutch when I have to modestly work that 1 inch of play in traffic, or up a hill.
4.) I have always had difficulty shifting thru the gears in traffic, and so have the Chevy mechanics. (On this, I saw a video on You-Tube this week where apparently the Corvette Z06 was experiencing the sticky shift problem. Well... changing the Brake/Clutch fluid cured this problem. I saw my fluid was molasses brown, and contained specs in the reservoir. This didn't happen overnight, and I'm speechless that approx. 5 mechanics and the tech rep from Chevy failed to approach this mechanic's elementary 101 hydraulic fluid requirement. Anyway $8.00 in Dot 3, and a turkey baster helped this nuisance. From the video apparently clutch dust penetrates the throw out assembly and contaminates the fluid.) Check the fluid, it should be clear! I changed the fluid 5 times…monitoring.
5.) Many times when shifting the car will rocks back and forth. Never had manual trans do this all the time.

As a last note, I did have an attorney take this on (lemon law), and it has been worth it. Now the dealers are attempting to turn a wrench. I would recommend anyone who has been having similar problems with this car to do the same....you spent $30K plus didn't you?

I'd appreciate feed back if your 2010 Camaro SS with the 6 speed has been experienceing any of my symptoms.
had mine since june 09 no problems at all shifts fine clutches perfectly
even went to the strip powershifted all day no vibrations nothing
i gess you are one of the unlucky guys that ended up with a bad tranny
hope every thing works out .
T D C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:15 PM   #164
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by T D C View Post
had mine since june 09 no problems at all shifts fine clutches perfectly
even went to the strip powershifted all day no vibrations nothing
i gess you are one of the unlucky guys that ended up with a bad tranny
hope every thing works out .
mines perfect! 6000 miles later
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:23 PM   #165
Partick

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
4600mi. on my 2SS/M-6 and I've had almost no problems. You can always slip it into 3rd and not lug it down as much but for the most part I've just gotten used to running 1st to at least 20 mphs and you're good
Partick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:17 AM   #166
DkknightX
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/SC Stage 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jheike View Post

You probably should have started your own thread on this but I never said I was experiencing problems shifting or noting any problems with the transmission. It is the skip-shift feature I have a problem with and I know what I need to do to correct it. Please don't my thread.
DkknightX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:00 AM   #167
dbedlam

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
If you drive the car, the way it is meant to be driven skip shift will never be a problem. But if your goal is to get your city gas mileage up from 12.5 mpg to say 13.5 mpg, you will probably encounter skip shift. God Bless America...it is your choice!!
Old 01-19-2010, 10:15 AM   #168
Trailbreaker77

Drives: 2010 Transformers Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbedlam View Post
If you drive the car, the way it is meant to be driven skip shift will never be a problem. But if your goal is to get your city gas mileage up from 12.5 mpg to say 13.5 mpg, you will probably encounter skip shift. God Bless America...it is your choice!!
Is the instruction on how my car is meant to be driven in the manual? When I picked it up at the dealer I don't remember him mentioning this me me.