Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 06-07-2016, 07:26 PM   #1
ChrisThornes

Drives: 2010 5th Gen
$15 DIY W/W Reservoir Relocation

So you want to get more air to your cold air intake? but don't want to spend too much for the windshield washer fluid reservoir relocation kit... check this out! only cost me $15 and took less than 30 minutes to assemble. "CHEAP, QUALITY BUILT, and FUNCTIONAL" Lets Get Started:

MATERIALS:
DORMAN 603-001 Universal Reservoir $7.99 @ Advance Auto
Carlon 1 inch PVC Single-Mount Conduit Support Strap $0.71 @ Home Depot
1 foot Section Of Clear Vinyl Tubing 1/4 Inner Diameter 3/8 Outer Diameter $3.25 For a 10' Roll @ Home Depot
one 3/8" clamp
1 of your factory bolts that held on the original reservoir
3 Screws With Washers And Nuts Long Enough To Hold The Reservoir To The Outside Wall Of Your CAI Heat Shield.
Screw Cap Covers (Optional)

RESERVOIR ASSEMBLY:
1.) Take your 2 quart reservoir remove cap and drill the hole in the bottom stem of the reservoir bigger with a 1/8 or 9/64 bit don't drill off the stem you need it for the tube to attach to the reservoir you just want to make the current hole bigger for better flow. the cap on the reservoir already comes with a breather hole also. Rinse out to remove any shavings and connect one end of your clear hose onto the stem. it will be a tight fit but you can work it on there. use your 3/8" clamp to keep it snug on the stem. Next remove your CAI from the throttle body and heat shield then remove your heat shield. take your shield and figure out where you want to place your reservoir under the CAI hole in the shield so that it clears all rubber hoses, connectors, pulleys etc. mark the two top holes on your shield with a marker drill out holes to the same diameter as your screws your going to use attach your reservoir so that the head of the screws are inside with the filter use screw caps for a cleaner look. This is a very important step measure multiple times before drilling so you don't end up with a shield looking like swiss cheese.

2.) Take a drill bit the size of your factory reservoir bolt and drill out the hole in the top of the clamp to that size. Twist the rubber elbow on the factory reservoir pump in the same direction as the stem on the pump and place the pump inside the clamp so that the clamp is closed on the black section of the pump as that is the smaller diameter of the pump it should be nice and snug no worries the pump will not move because the elbow will prevent it from coming out as well as the electrical plug on the other side once installed. Go ahead and screw that bolt through the hole until you see the threads start coming out the back. Then line up the clamp and pump to one of your factory reservoir bolt holes on the frame below your CAI.

3.) Reinstall your shield...Now you will want to run your tubing that's connected to your reservoir stem to the the stem on the pump roughly 10" inches or so measure because every application will be different trim if needed you don't want to much tubing and you don't want it to kink make sure to keep the tubing running in a downward flow so use your judgement. After connecting the tubing to your pump reinstall your cai onto the throttle body and heat shield. Secure Tightly!

4.) Fill your reservoir up with water, Check for leaks, and make sure that the water is draining out of the spout on the pump where you will be connecting your hose that runs to your sprayers. Let the water finish draining out then attach Your Sprayer hose and plug in your pump. Fill your reservoir with fluid and Presto!

CONGRATULATIONS! ENJOY

If you don't know already. I'm sure your probably wondering how to remove the factory reservoir, pump, etc... just remove your CAI filter only! turn your wheels to the right remove the screws in the wheel well liner and pull back out of the way

disconnect the electrical plug.

go to the top of the reservoir there is the hose that runs to the sprayers that loops through some holes on the side of the res just unloop it from the res and from the clip on the side fender you will see it this will give you enough free hose to get the res up and away from your car while still attached and full of fluid so you can disconnect and empty it. after you have done this go down to the wheel well and remove the 3 bolts that hold the res in place this would be a good time to have a helping hand hold the neck of the res at the top while it lets loose and pull up through the CAI opening and away from your car. Empty and disconnect the hose. remove the pump by pulling and twisting if needed it should pop right out its just held in with a rubber grommet.

now in order to make this whole mod worth while you are going to want to score the plastic behind the front lower grill with a razor knife or similar cutting tool etc. i didn't need power tools all i did was score a line in the plastic bend the plastic back and it was a clean break . this allows more air into your cai.

PLEASE POST PICTURES OF YOUR INSTALL ON THIS THREAD IF YOU ATTEMPT THIS!!!

Last edited by ChrisThornes; 06-11-2016 at 05:22 PM.
ChrisThornes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:57 PM   #2
Pushrod Pete

Drives: Camaro 1LE
this is awesome
Pushrod Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:01 PM   #3
ChrisThornes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushrod Pete View Post
this is awesome
Thanks, any questions i'm happy to help
Old 06-07-2016, 08:07 PM   #4
68rssscamaro
Camaro: A Legend Reborn!!

Drives: SOLD: 12 2SS/RS LS3 45th
Nice job, looks easy enough to do and budget friendly. Mods should move this to DIY as a "sticky"

68rssscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:13 PM   #5
sdynak

Drives: 2010 1SS
Great write up..

Curious what the finished product looks like on the CAI.. Do you have any pics? Unfortunately a few months late for me but good for future..
2010 1SS LS3, Black, 235/250, .621/.615, 114 + 4, Kooks Stepped Headers, 3.91's, Bo White PTB, Flowmaster Mufflers, Cold Air Industries CAI, Apex Scoop & Windshield Washer Relocate, SLP Wheels, Skip Shift Eliminate, Barton Flat Stick, OEM HID/Halos, Dyno Tuned by ECS
sdynak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:18 PM   #6
AGC70

Drives: 2014 Black 2SS/RS L99 Coupe
Nice job on both the pictures and write up!
AGC70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 01:25 PM   #7
camaro500

Drives: 2017 Jaguar F Type R Tuned 498awhp
Thank you
camaro500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 04:36 PM   #8
Jayjellyfish212

Drives: 2014 1LE
Nice job OP!
I went the same route. I used a small aluminum box for the actual reservoir though on mine and moved everything to the passenger side. I feel that air scoop bracket they are selling is way over priced so I just cut the plastic a bit and folded it back holding the plastic flap down with one of the screws where the factory washer reservoir was and it works perfect cost me nothing but 20min of my time..LOL
Jayjellyfish212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:08 PM   #9
ChrisThornes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68rssscamaro View Post
Nice job, looks easy enough to do and budget friendly. Mods should move this to DIY as a "sticky"
Thank you, i hope this works out for anyone who attempts it. It will save you some money for better mods
Old 06-09-2016, 06:09 PM   #10
ChrisThornes

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdynak View Post
Great write up..

Curious what the finished product looks like on the CAI.. Do you have any pics? Unfortunately a few months late for me but good for future..
Just updated the post the finished product is up for your viewing pleasure lol
Old 06-09-2016, 06:10 PM   #11
ChrisThornes

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGC70 View Post
Nice job on both the pictures and write up!
Old 06-09-2016, 06:13 PM   #12
ChrisThornes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayjellyfish212 View Post
Nice job OP!
I went the same route. I used a small aluminum box for the actual reservoir though on mine and moved everything to the passenger side. I feel that air scoop bracket they are selling is way over priced so I just cut the plastic a bit and folded it back holding the plastic flap down with one of the screws where the factory washer reservoir was and it works perfect cost me nothing but 20min of my time..LOL
very nice! cheap or free is always a good thing, and there is nothing better than the pride you get when doing mods yourself.
Old 06-09-2016, 07:00 PM   #13
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
So every time you need to refill the the washer tank you need to remove the CAI tube ? Seems a bit of a pain . You must not driver your car in the winter or when it rains .

Nice work though ,looks great .
Old 06-09-2016, 07:23 PM   #14
Jayjellyfish212

Drives: 2014 1LE
If you keep it mounted like that you should add an extension tube so you can get fluid in there easy. Cant tell by photo maybe you can get to it easy but looks like you have to remove stuff to top off the fluid. Maybe add a piece of black vinyl hose tube to area where the cap threads on is and extend up add connector and cap? I think you could see what I am describing by looking at the roto fab one. It looks like the roto fab mounts in the area of the CAI and then has a vinyl extension up and to the side outside the CAI. Clearly your idea will work better by mounting completely out of the CAI area. Check the roto fab one out and see what I mean for extension. I think this would help and should work good solving any issue and easier top offs?

I do love when I make something that works and cost little. Great pride and ppl always say where did you get that..LOL
Jayjellyfish212 is offline   Reply With Quote