Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-22-2014, 11:49 PM   #1
13ZL1BLove

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Thumbs down Wheel Hop Issues

So tonight I was messing around with a guy in a modded 240SX. I dumped the clutch at 3500 no traction control. Instead of the wheels spinning they hopped uncontrollably. I need tires extremely bad, they should be here Saturday. Just any ideas or anyone else with this issue? Maybe solid subframe bushings? Scared the s**t out of me.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:11 AM   #2
CanadianZL1#992
ANGRY Z

Drives: 2015 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13ZL1BLove View Post
So tonight I was messing around with a guy in a modded 240SX. I dumped the clutch at 3500 no traction control. Instead of the wheels spinning they hopped uncontrollably. I need tires extremely bad, they should be here Saturday. Just any ideas or anyone else with this issue? Maybe solid subframe bushings? Scared the s**t out of me.
Mine would wheel hop a bit at the track when I'd launch so I had solid subframe bushings installed when I had my fuel pump changed, the rear subframe was out anyways. Absolutely no issues now!!
CanadianZL1#992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:18 AM   #3
Emvici

Drives: 2014 ZL1 White Convertible
I would increase your tire pressure, this will "round" out the wheels a bit and they should not hop at all or as easily. Run them around 37-38 lbs.
Emvici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:31 AM   #4
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13ZL1BLove View Post
Below is a link to a thread I wrote on the topic of wheel hop. Al O. and his team made some upgrades to the ZL1 to help with wheel hop but as you have seen it can still occur. Solid rear cradle bushings are where I would recommend starting and that is probably all it will take.

Curing 5th Gen Camaro Wheel Hop
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:26 AM   #5
Trackman

Drives: 67RS Camaro ,Black 2013 ZL1
Did you push traction control for 7 seconds ?
Wheel hop has only happened to me with it on.
Trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:46 AM   #6
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Below is a link to a thread I wrote on the topic of wheel hop. Al O. and his team made some upgrades to the ZL1 to help with wheel hop but as you have seen it can still occur. Solid rear cradle bushings are where I would recommend starting and that is probably all it will take.

Curing 5th Gen Camaro Wheel Hop
Good Advice here. If you do everything your chance of wheelhop will be greatly reduced. But still possible. I did all this on my '11 SS and sometimes would still get the hop with only 425 RWHP.

OP if you plan to be hitting the drag strip looking for 10s then do it all.

But just to reduce wheelhop you could start just by adding aftermarket Trailing Arms and also the outer TA bushing. This could be DIY project and the cost is very reasonable. One advantage the ZL1 has over the standard SS is it has a better Toe Rod setup. But this can be improved on with aftermarket Toe Rods as a next step. If you replace the Toe Rods an alignment will be needed.

The rest of the bushings are only only for the very experienced DIYer. And the more hard bushings you add you will experience a little more NVH, especially with the differential bushings.

Also keep in mind there is some difference of opinion regarding adding stronger Toe Rods and Trailing Arms. If you happen to slide into a curb fairly hard you might be more likely to sustain frame damage over the weaker stock parts. Something to think about.

I think those ZL1 Goodyears are a part of the blame for the wheelhop. They are not a good choice as a street tire, but when warm are great on a track. When they are not warm, or the street is cold, or improperly inflated they spin and hop like mad.

My 1LE is around 550 RWHP, right around ZL1 numbers. and I have only the Trailing Arms and outer TA bushings. With the Goodyears on my wheelhop is still bad at the drag strip on a day below 60 degrees and on the street. But with my DRs, wheelhop is not a problem on either surface, even if I am a bit aggressive.

I think something like the Michelin Pilot Super Sports is a better choice overall than the Goodyears if tracking is not your top priority. And the latest version of these tires may not be far behind the Goodyears at the (road) track.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:02 AM   #7
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
The stock GY's are hockey pucks and airing them up past the recommended 32 psi will make it worse. I run MT DR's with an adjustable Pfadt rear sway bar and get zero wheel hop.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 04:28 PM   #8
Emvici

Drives: 2014 ZL1 White Convertible
I run mine at 38 psi and I have no problems whatsoever. No hopping, no skipping, nothing but really great gas mileage. If you know how to drive this car well, it will drive better with more air in the tires. if you mush the accelerator pedal without any consideration for the cars' power, then you will have a huge problem with 38 psi, but I can tell you the problem will not include wheel hop.
Emvici is offline   Reply With Quote