Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 04-25-2018, 10:15 AM   #1
Arogg
A legend in his own mind

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Waterless washing.. teach me

I recently moved into a coop with my fiancée. They don't really allow car washing on the premises. Its a bummer but that's really the only negative. Normally Im able to wash my car at my companys warehouse but this waterless washing ive been hearing about has me intrigued. What do u guys recommend? Is it safe for the paint? How dirty can the car be and still be safely washed without water? My car is black so I do try my best to keep her looking good. Im hoping its simple enough that nobody hassles me if I park across the street and give her a quick clean between full details.

-Adam

Color matched OEM GFX / VIS Carbon Fiber Hood (absolute trash quality and customer service ) / Heritage Grille / 5% Windows / 30% Windshield tint with 5% visor strip / Tinted Exterior Lights / Streetfighter LA Spoiler / Morimoto XB LED fogs / LED sidemarkers / Airaid CAI / Hurst Short Throw / TSP LT's / No cats / No resonator / Corsa Xtreme Catback / Trifecta Tune / Factory amp replaced / 2 JL Audio 12's in the trunk / MRR 228 Wheels / BMR Springs / Moog Endlinks / R1 Concepts Rotors & Pads
Arogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:24 AM   #2
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Look up Garry Dean method

https://youtu.be/JFAD1Gm19ks

A compromise...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 02:59 PM   #3
detltu

Drives: 1992 Z28 1LE; 2015 Zl1
Glen has a write up as well. I used the rinse-less wash method and probably won't continue to use it except in rare circumstances. For your situation it may be your best bet, but I recommend keeping your car very clean/ washing regularly.

As a time saver I think it's overrated.
1991 Camaro Z28 1LE-
1992 Camaro Z28 1LE- 25th anniversary
2015 Camaro ZL1
detltu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 03:21 PM   #4
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Hey Adam,

Check out this video......I must say that WW is one of my favorite products.

https://youtu.be/2vCuSifHQHI
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:32 PM   #5
HAMBO

Drives: Supercharged 2013 AGM 2SS/RS
Waterless washing will definitely get your car clean, but if you use it on anything more than light dust, particularly on a black car, you will likely see swirl marks develop over time. Using water to help carry loose dirt off the car is a critical step for a safe car wash, and there isn't any great way around it.

Rinseless washing would be a step better. When I lived in an apartment, I used to drive by the local coin-op car wash, use water to rinse off the car, then drive home and do a rinseless wash.

One new product that just came out about a month ago is Ammo FROTHe. I haven't tried it, but looks pretty interesting:

Larry from Ammo also has a Q&A video where he talks about what methods he believes are safe for what degree of dirt:

SLP TVS2300, Edge CAI, 3" Magnaflow catback, BC Racing BR series coilovers, HRE FF15's (20x10 square) with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's, GM STB, BMR front and rear sway bars and toe links, Prothane subframe bushings and front control arm inserts, JDP rear upper control arm bushings, Elite Engineering catch can. Tuned by Cunningham Motorsports.
1967 Bolero Red 396 SS/RS Convertible
HAMBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:00 AM   #6
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMBO View Post
Rinseless washing would be a step better. When I lived in an apartment, I used to drive by the local coin-op car wash, use water to rinse off the car, then drive home and do a rinseless wash.
x2, this is how I washed my fleet of vehicles when I lived in an apartment complex that didn't have water set up.

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 09:10 AM   #7
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
i use this concentrate:

https://www.autogeek.net/waterless-w...-carnauba.html

i only use it after running it through a diy car wash, touchless car wash, or after a recent wash by hand. i really like it, the concentrate can last a long time depending on wash frequency, and it produces a good shine. another thing to do is use high quality microfibers:

https://www.autogeek.net/best-waterless-wash-towel.html
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 10:08 PM   #8
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMBO View Post

x3. This is the method I use. Even with my Duramax. As long as the paint is coated/sealed/waxed, then it will work great. Use a pressure washer and blow off as much as you can, spend 5-10 minutes spraying everything off, top down. Take it home and give it a Rinseless Wash. Rinseless Wash is best described by looking up the Garry Dean method. Basically, a bucket of water, a Rinseless product like Ech2o or Adam's Rinseless, and a bunch of high quality microfibers dedicated to said task of Rinseless Washes.

Waterless Wash from Adam's or diluted products like Ech2o, Rinseless Wash, and the like, are a quick detailer for VERY light debris like dust, fingerprints, pre-treating bugs before a wash, bird droppings, and maybe the light road dirt that gathers behind the tires on the fenders/door. But you'd better saturate it before wiping it and flip the towel every pass.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote