Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-29-2015, 10:25 PM   #1
mrebusa

Drives: 14' 2SS 1LE
Heads options for the LS3?

What are your recommendations for Heads for an LS3 in the SS?

Best application for power/TQ?

Best application for drag racing?

Best application for road course?

Best application on a budget?

Best application no expense spared?

All opinions are welcome, I have been searching and reading up on different applications. I'm just curious to see what the masses are doing for heads

Soon:
mrebusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:32 PM   #2
mrebusa

Shoot can a mod please move this to the correct sub-forum :( I apologize

Soon:
Old 07-30-2015, 12:39 AM   #3
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrebusa View Post
Shoot can a mod please move this to the correct sub-forum :( I apologize

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 07:55 AM   #4
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
summit racing for budget and performance GMPP stock ported heads $1200 no core with hollow intakes...read the reviews comparing stock ported to others
Old 07-30-2015, 08:19 AM   #5
EFI

Drives: something faster than you
Quote:
What are your recommendations for Heads for an LS3 in the SS?

Best application for power/TQ?

Best application for drag racing?

Best application for road course?

Best application on a budget?

Best application no expense spared?
Alot of the choices overlap, and alot of it has to do with the cam selection and compression. Plus there aren't that many options available. Basically you have ported stockers, trickflows, MAST and I believe just recently Dart.

Really depends on your budget and cam as far as what will work for you.
EFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:40 AM   #6
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
There are a lot more than that.

You have probably 8-10 castings, then all the different companies and port work so the options are probably 100+ when you mix match. Could have all pros ported my WCCH, AI, Reher, Frankenstein, etc.

As he said though, head choice depends more on specific application, cam, and overall setup, so there is no "best road racing head".

Also, if you go 4.125 or bigger it opens up all the large bore heads, and ls7 style heads.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:39 AM   #7
Bodywerks

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS/1LE
PRC heads also. But do yourself a favor and REQUIRE that your heads be shipped with insurance and/or REQUIRE a signature release. I'm dealing with a nightmare with UPS delivering the heads a day early. They either delivered to the wrong address(which has happened 3 times before in just over a year), or someone walked off with them in broad daylight(unlikely). If they aren't found I don't know where that will put me. Hopefully visa well protect me if ups or TSP doesn't.
HSA delete, VMAX throttle body, CAI inc. Intake, PRC255 heads, BTR 660 springs, BTR cryo-treated rockers, PAT G 232/240 .654/.626 110+2, johnson 2110's, Manton 502 pushrods, C5R, Melling high volume/high pressure, Powerbond 25% underdrive pulley, Proform covers, Kooks stepped headers, catless mids, Doug Thorley exhaust. 512rwhp, 446rwtq on a mustang dyno, tuned by Cunningham motorsports.
Bodywerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 11:47 PM   #8
SSeniorMoment

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 A6 IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodywerks View Post
PRC heads also. But do yourself a favor and REQUIRE that your heads be shipped with insurance and/or REQUIRE a signature release. I'm dealing with a nightmare with UPS delivering the heads a day early. They either delivered to the wrong address(which has happened 3 times before in just over a year), or someone walked off with them in broad daylight(unlikely). If they aren't found I don't know where that will put me. Hopefully visa well protect me if ups or TSP doesn't.
Hope this all works out for you. All my build parts were insured and signed for.

I went with Frankenstein ported/CNCd factory LS3 heads, solid roller cam.
SSeniorMoment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 03:32 AM   #9
Bodywerks

So far it's not going so well. According to the driver, whom I spoke to personally and saw the GPS ping that shows he was at my house when the package was 'delivered', it appears that my heads were stolen off my front porch, or some other foul play.
I'm at the tip of a double edge sword. My cc company suggested I dispute the charge so I did. Visa signature also guarantees replacement of purchased goods for 90 days from purchase due to theft. But who knows how long that will take. It also turns out that Texas Speed does insure their packages through a third party and it usually only takes a couple weeks, but I don't know if that will mean replacement heads at no additional cost to me, or a partial refund or if I'm out shipping, or what. I already feel like a victim, I don't want to be out another penny.
The last email from Texas speed didn't go so well, they won't file a claim on their end as long as I have a dispute filled with my credit card company. So I need to call them to see where I stand with them. This whole ordeal has taken the wind out of my sails for this build. If I didn't already have over a grand in parts on the table I'd almost scratch the whole project.
HSA delete, VMAX throttle body, CAI inc. Intake, PRC255 heads, BTR 660 springs, BTR cryo-treated rockers, PAT G 232/240 .654/.626 110+2, johnson 2110's, Manton 502 pushrods, C5R, Melling high volume/high pressure, Powerbond 25% underdrive pulley, Proform covers, Kooks stepped headers, catless mids, Doug Thorley exhaust. 512rwhp, 446rwtq on a mustang dyno, tuned by Cunningham motorsports.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:27 PM   #10
mrebusa

I've been looking at MAST and PRC heads. I plan to run a TSP 235/239 cam, car will be setup for more street fun with the occasional road course. I am looking for the quality and reliability. Would rather pay now and do it right, to old to make cheap mistakes.

Soon:
Old 07-31-2015, 10:06 PM   #11
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-88958758....... read the reviews especially the top one they out flowed PRC . Lingenfelter, AFR......, and I used the 235/239 cam ..... its a good cam,
Old 07-31-2015, 10:17 PM   #12
Carbuff

Drives: 1970 Pontiac Firebird
I also used Frankenstein (FRH) to port mine and my intake, but I went with the TFS GenX castings as the base castings. I have upgrade-itis on my project though, and may be pulling these off and selling them in the next couple of weeks.
Carbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 08:01 AM   #13
Bodywerks

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-88958758....... read the reviews especially the top one they out flowed PRC . Lingenfelter, AFR......, and I used the 235/239 cam ..... its a good cam,
Couple problems here. First off, I don't care if 'Patrick from Tx' says they flow better. I trust his word as far as I can throw a set of heads. Secondly, whatever their flow claims are, are based on 276cc intake runners, whereas the likes of PRC and Trick Flow are doing the same flow or better with 255cc runners. This is HUGE for torque numbers. Additionally, the aftermarket heads feature shallower valve angles to further improve the intake/exhaust process. And the springs the gmpp heads come with are useless. And if you want more compression you'll have to pay to have them machined. But then you'd likely be fly cutting pistons with that 235/239 cam. PRC heads maintain better than stock ptv with 65cc chambers. That's a nice little bump in compression.
Oh, and no additional charge for milled heads, can order hollow or solid stem valves, can order with or without springs, and they are 6 bolt ready.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:17 AM   #14
OneSickS10

Drives: 2011 SG Camaro 2SS
I'm surprised nobody mentioned Brodix. BP BR 3's.