Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-07-2016, 09:12 PM   #1
Fishinfirefighter

Drives: Zl1
BMR Coolant resevoir came in today

VERY nice piece. Quality is fantastic and it looks badass. These boxes are built to order and even then BMR had it built and shipped within 3 days of payment. Their website had a goofup and said free shipping even thought they dont offer free shipping on anything but Tom honored it for me, good business to deal with. Ive got some AN fittings and s/s lines coming before I can do the install but I mounted it just to check it out while im waiting. The outlet is on the right side of the box and inside has a perforated tube so no Ice gets sucked up in there. The inlet is on the left and it also has a drain and came with a ball valve and 3 feet of 3/8 drain hose to make it easy at the track when icing. I opted for the -12 bungs so I can upgrade the sc coolant system to 3/4 hose. I ordered -12 fittings for the SC lid as well.
Im trying to decide where to mount my CC since it takes the space that most people mount their CC's at. Im thinking of mounting it directly to the ice box itself since the cap and opening are so large I can get inside to thread a bolt with an o-ring/washer on both sides to prevent any leaks. Gonna post a few pics, anyone got any ideas or suggestions where to mount the CC?
Attached Images

Last edited by Fishinfirefighter; 09-07-2016 at 09:31 PM.
Fishinfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 10:59 PM   #2
patternpilot

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
I mounted the CC to the stud left from the factory airbox.

LS3, Whipple, Custom Comp Cam, springs, pushrods, timing set, CAI intake, Apex cold air scoop, Doug Thorley TRI-Y headers, Billet Custom Products baffled Valve covers, Mighty Mouse Catch can, ADM FPCM, ZL1 fuel pump, MSD boost-a-pump, Hex Vent hood vents, ProSport gauges(fuel pressure, AFR, Boost), Corsa, 100 cell Cats. Jannetty remote tuned, Pfadt trailing arms, all parts user installed. No Dyno yet. Manual trans. 3.45 gears.
patternpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 12:17 AM   #3
Fishinfirefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by patternpilot View Post
I mounted the CC to the stud left from the factory airbox.
Got any pics? I thought about that area too but didnt see anywhere I could mount to.
Heres the link for the box
http://www.blackmarketracing.net/sto...r-ice-box.html
Old 09-08-2016, 12:35 AM   #4
patternpilot

Ill post a picture tomorrow. I thought I had one but not with the current can.

LS3, Whipple, Custom Comp Cam, springs, pushrods, timing set, CAI intake, Apex cold air scoop, Doug Thorley TRI-Y headers, Billet Custom Products baffled Valve covers, Mighty Mouse Catch can, ADM FPCM, ZL1 fuel pump, MSD boost-a-pump, Hex Vent hood vents, ProSport gauges(fuel pressure, AFR, Boost), Corsa, 100 cell Cats. Jannetty remote tuned, Pfadt trailing arms, all parts user installed. No Dyno yet. Manual trans. 3.45 gears.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:55 AM   #5
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
So it this ice box for running at the drag strip?
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 04:18 PM   #6
Fishinfirefighter

Same exact thing as your D3 box. Just bigger, different location and looks cooler lol.
Old 09-09-2016, 01:56 PM   #7
patternpilot

I contacted the vender and was informed it would fit the car but the connections are wrong for the Whipple, so no dice here. Ill keep looking.

Here is the picture of my catch can installation. I use the Mightymouse. Good can and catches most everything.
Attached Images

Old 09-15-2016, 07:38 AM   #8
Fishinfirefighter

How are you guys routing the lines? I still havent plumbed it in yet. My SS An hose and fittings will be here in a couple days finally and Im still scratching my head. Seems like BMR recommends SC outlet>hx>ice box>pump>SC inlet. Thats just based on what Ive read over on the ctsv forum.
Im still concerned also about not being able to properly bleed/fill the system since Im ditching the stock filler with the AN hose and lines. Seems to me with the box being slightly lower Im not going to be able to properly fill unless I tap in a remote filler near the SC near where the stock is. Was thinking of maybe using a AN gauge adapter at the lid and possibly a small billet brake reservoir to fill after I add ice, please tell me Im overthinking this.....
Old 09-15-2016, 08:38 PM   #9
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishinfirefighter View Post
How are you guys routing the lines? I still havent plumbed it in yet. My SS An hose and fittings will be here in a couple days finally and Im still scratching my head. Seems like BMR recommends SC outlet>hx>ice box>pump>SC inlet. Thats just based on what Ive read over on the ctsv forum.
Im still concerned also about not being able to properly bleed/fill the system since Im ditching the stock filler with the AN hose and lines. Seems to me with the box being slightly lower Im not going to be able to properly fill unless I tap in a remote filler near the SC near where the stock is. Was thinking of maybe using a AN gauge adapter at the lid and possibly a small billet brake reservoir to fill after I add ice, please tell me Im overthinking this.....

I think you are overthinking it. You can run the system wide open without the lid at the tank since it's not a pressurized system. I would just fill it at the tank if you are removing the stock filler. You could really reverse the flow too if you wanted. I think running ice water directly from the tank into the SC would be a tremendous benefit. Then you could go: SC-pump-HX-ice tank-SC

I have a trunk mounted tank, a secondary pump, and a D3 reservoir and mine goes: SC-D3 tank-OEM pump-HX-trunk tank-secondary pump-SC

I'm thinking about switching to the BMR tank from the D3 for the ease of filling the tank with ice instead of digging into the trunk all the time.

Does the BMR have a drain fitting?
Old 09-16-2016, 11:33 AM   #10
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Quote:
I contacted the vender and was informed it would fit the car but the connections are wrong for the Whipple, so no dice here. Ill keep looking.

Here is the picture of my catch can installation. I use the Mightymouse. Good can and catches most everything.
Is that metal over your positive battery terminal?
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 12:28 PM   #11
patternpilot

It is polished aluminum. Don't worry, it does not touch the terminal and as long as you don't place a jumper wire to ground while installing or removing the cover your safe. But who would do that anyway.

Old 09-16-2016, 01:16 PM   #12
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
Is that metal over your positive battery terminal?
Quote:
It is polished aluminum. Don't worry, it does not touch the terminal and as long as you don't place a jumper wire to ground while installing or removing the cover your safe. But who would do that anyway.
Got the same cover over my positive terminal only in black. You trust Chevy isn't selling items through their online Chevymall store (http://www.chevymall.com/2010-2015-C...uctinfo/JG335/) that could potentially damage your car. Then again you never know.... :
Old 09-17-2016, 04:45 PM   #13
Fishinfirefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deke736 View Post
I think you are overthinking it. You can run the system wide open without the lid at the tank since it's not a pressurized system. I would just fill it at the tank if you are removing the stock filler. You could really reverse the flow too if you wanted. I think running ice water directly from the tank into the SC would be a tremendous benefit. Then you could go: SC-pump-HX-ice tank-SC

I have a trunk mounted tank, a secondary pump, and a D3 reservoir and mine goes: SC-D3 tank-OEM pump-HX-trunk tank-secondary pump-SC

I'm thinking about switching to the BMR tank from the D3 for the ease of filling the tank with ice instead of digging into the trunk all the time.

Does the BMR have a drain fitting?
Yes it has a 3/8 ball valve included with hose to run below the pan.

Think i have to run from ice box to pump otherwise i cant run the system with the cap off to cool between runs adding ice. If it goes box outlet to sc the water will just overflow out of the ice box. Need to seal it off for the pressure to push it up to sc inlet. That sound correct?
Old 09-17-2016, 04:52 PM   #14
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray ZL1
It's not a pressurized system, so unless they put the outlet hole at the top of the tank above the water line, that shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the drain info. I'm disappointed to hear it's only 3/8". I was hoping for at least 5/8" to match the -10AN fittings.