Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Garage / Tools Discussions

Old 08-18-2011, 09:01 AM   #15
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

Drives: 427 LSX- with TWINS
Location: Back in Michigan!! Do miss ATX and my Tejas friends
Send a message via AIM to Kyle.Gilmour
I've Got Wood

Since we finally were able to get our permit I spoke with my cousin Tyler, the expert that is helping me build this bad boy (man has he). He and his dad have a large construction operation and offered to help me out as much as he could. We decided this weekend was going to be the weekend to get started.

Friday 19th, ProBuild delivered the first part of the lumber package and Tyler came up with some of his equipment.

Saturday 20th, drilled 22 holes for the 6x6in 16ft poles, Grand Traverse County redefines the word overkill... in our opinion at least. haha. Our 22 holes each were 36 inches wide, 58 inches deep, with 10 inches thick of concrete. Luckily I was able to rent an auger, and Tyler brought his Bobcat.

that morning we started by putting up our string and batter board, I believe that is what it is called, it kept our holes and pole placement straight
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2011, 09:04 AM   #16
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

at 7am we started up the Bobcat, unloaded it.. had to get 22 holes dug by noon, as that was the latest concrete delivery we could get. No sweat right!

well, we got the bobcat into place, started to drill.. down 4 inches into the first hole and bam. Auger stops cold and will not start back up.

I was crushed... 15 minutes of messing with it, I knew we would not be ready for concrete. You cannot dig these massive holes by hand.
Tyler had a new auxilery switch installed a week earlier, turns out when I got that torn apart, it only had a loose connection. 30 minutes burned, but we were back to pluggin away on holes.

Attached Images

Old 08-18-2011, 09:05 AM   #17
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

We were all done with the holes, but still had to put in and level our cement pad measuring sticks before concrete truck showed up. This should have been easy, but of course, something else had to break.

The charging unit for the Laser was not working and of course it had a dead battery. That laser is sweet though. you just have to stick out a receiving unit and the main base sends signals back and forth. really makes leveling easy. But... it was dead. So my dad rigged up a Water Level and we did it old school. This thing was just as impressive! (come to find out it got each hole within a 1/4 inch... not too bad)

we were about 20 minutes behind schedule, but luckily the driver of the truck was nice and not in a hurry. He actually helped us finish up with the water level.

(one of the below pics is the car charger my dad altered to directly charge the Laser base unit.... crazy guys, i wouldnt even know where to start with that stuff)
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2011, 09:08 AM   #18
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

As I metioned, the delivery guy was awesome and since we were about 20 minutes behind, he helped us set everything up for the pours.

These 22 holes were 36 inches wide, 58 inches deep and we put between 10-12 inches of concrete in to make the pad. about 3-4 hours later we were able to set the poles on them.

to get to the west side of the property was quite tight, but he was a great driver and was able to reach 18 out of 22 holes. We wheel barreled the rest.

I called and asked for an extra half yard, bringing my total to 5.5 cubic yards and we ended up being almost a full hole short. Kind of sucked, but we just sent dad to a couple local hardwares to pick up some bag mix. So it took just about 6 yards to finish to complete
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2011, 09:08 AM   #19
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
That's gonna be nice!

... But do you really want to rent it out to people like.... well... me?

If you're insistent on renting, put in a poster bed, need someplace to tie the other end of the ropes

:tweetz:

Old 08-18-2011, 09:10 AM   #20
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
That's gonna be nice!

... But do you really want to rent it out to people like.... well... me?
If you're insistent on renting, put in a poster bed, need someplace to tie the other end of the ropes

haha.. well that is just an idea... down the road.

I am sure I could make it renter proof. haha. or just rent to people like... well.. me!

hahaha
jk
Old 08-18-2011, 09:13 AM   #21
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

We had a quite a few friends over helping with the poles. I only had to provide the lunch, dinner and after beers... so it worked out pretty well.

We were not allowed to backfill any of the holes until after the hole inpsection was complete... so we had to brace the poles and put up pearlings to try to keep them all level. It went well, and we even got the laser working finally.
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2011, 09:16 AM   #22
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

Build day 1 in the books

We were able to get all the holes dug, concrete poured, and poles up and braced... I think it was a pretty successful day.

The next day we moved some dirt around to make it easier to backfill when we are finally "allowed" to, and put up a few more peralings.

We then celebrated with Hard Cider, Rasberry Cordial, Beer, and a Bon Fire.
I was pretty dang sore though the rest of the weekend. I am not used to this hard manual labor!

It is now Monday the 15th, I am back in NYC working, Dad will play around on it a bit this week. Then Friday and Saturday I am back at it and we are going to get up the skirting and prep it for the concrete slab.

Tyler suggested we have the slab poured before the trusses and sheeting goes up to make it easier on the masons and will help our when the sky track gets in for trusses.
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2011, 09:17 AM   #23
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, Concrete experts, give me your opinions.

30x60, will have either a 4 post or 2 post lift, heated, will house 3-5 cars, tools, and a pool table.

I am thinking since I will never sell this barn, that I should spend the extra money and get 6 inch all the way around. Should not have to worry about cracks at all, and it will let me put my lift anywhere I decide.

This will be about 34-35 cubic yards of concrete at 6 inches,
at $75 a yard is $2550.

This will be about 23-24 cubic yards of concrete at 4 inches,
at $75 a yard is $1725.

I am thinking for the extra 800 bucks I would rather have the peace of mind that this floor will be perfect for a long long time.

I think i have decided that i will def go with the 6 inch floor....

and Chris got me thinking that I should put a big bowtie in the concrete.... can i flush in a big metal bowtie?
Old 08-18-2011, 09:26 AM   #24
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

more toys!

I was able to pick up some neat garage related stuff. My dad works part time out to our High School, good job for a retired guy, he gets to mow sports fields, play in the big garages, and random mechanic work.

Anyway... he has been able to grab me some items from the school that were getting scrapped.

Below are a couple of them,

This stainless sink was just chilling out behind the soccer shed, we brought it home and just washed it with soap and it cleaned right up, I will polish it before we install it in the garage. I think I will get a new large faucet for it, maybe one that is Touch Operated so I can use my arm to turn it on when I am too greasy.

A stack of boards from our Basketball Gym's bleachers. There is a lot of good wood there, plus, I like knowing that I have a part of what I consider, History. Those are the same bleachers that I watched my cousins play District Championships on when I was just a kid and where my parents watched me grow up playing. Thought it was cool.

I think I will use them for the steps going up to the loft, or use them to build some shelves.

I also was able to snag 25 metal shelves, all 18 inches by 48 inches

a Solid oak table that needs refinishing

a 30 inch 3/8ths steel fire ring... have a 48inch on the way!

4 Andersen Windows (double hung, a 2x3, (2) 3x4, and a 3x6)
I think those were the sizes

A standup wall heater

and a stainless steel bowl. hahaha
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2011, 09:27 AM   #25
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
I dont' think there are ANY gaurantees on cracking right? Wether 6 inches or not. Maybe I'm wrong.

For the money, I'd go 6 inches though. Peace of mind.

When the guy poured my driveway I asked him what kind of gaurantee I had. He said ........ and I quote....... "I gaurantee it will eventually crack somewhere."
Old 08-18-2011, 09:28 AM   #26
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

CAUGHT UP

Ok,

so now that you are all caught up in the progress...

i will be slow with updates. haha

Pearlings and skirt board going up as we speak, holes are backfilled. BUT I am in NYC, so I have no pics... dad is doing the work.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:30 AM   #27
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
I dont' think there are ANY gaurantees on cracking right? Wether 6 inches or not. Maybe I'm wrong.

For the money, I'd go 6 inches though. Peace of mind.

When the guy poured my driveway I asked him what kind of gaurantee I had. He said ........ and I quote....... "I gaurantee it will eventually crack somewhere."
haha... that is a hell of a gaurantee for sure!

and if in 15 years its hasnt cracked yet... he better come back and make sure it does!
Old 08-18-2011, 09:32 AM   #28
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle.Gilmour View Post
haha... that is a hell of a gaurantee for sure!

and if in 15 years its hasnt cracked yet... he better come back and make sure it does!
haha, Right.

Well, it's only 3 inches iirc and his gaurantee was good. lmao

Got my first crack about a month ago. haha

Tags
bend pak, concrete, detroit muscle, garage