Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 09-18-2016, 08:46 AM   #29
alice

Drives: 2010 camaro limited edition turbo
I had to fab a oil filter top with ports so I could do away with the factory oil filter. I plumbed the oil from the existing casting to an auxiliary oil filter and cooler, then back to the factory oil filter canister. It was a bit difficult and required machining a new top.
alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:53 AM   #30
Jabeyta21

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LS
Hate to sound redundant but wat made you go rear mount on the 5th gen as opposed to the more "favorable" top front mount. Simplicity? Engine space?

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk
Jabeyta21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:56 AM   #31
Jabeyta21

Quote:
Originally Posted by alice View Post
I had to fab a oil filter top with ports so I could do away with the factory oil filter. I plumbed the oil from the existing casting to an auxiliary oil filter and cooler, then back to the factory oil filter canister. It was a bit difficult and required machining a new top.
Was this 100% neccesary? Could the stock oil filter be used? Or was this only to cool down your oil for peace of mind? Also im thinking of just doing a standalone oil system for the rear mounts. Wats your take of that? I want my engine to be safe no matter wat.

Old 09-19-2016, 05:31 AM   #32
alice

It was not necessary to do the oil cooler but I live in Florida and it gets hot in the summer. Heat is always a killer to engines and transmissions and I wanted to get maximum life out of my drivetrain, hence, cooling everything as much as possible.

On the subject of stand alone oiling, I think that would be more complicated than using existing engine oil pump and returning the oil to the oil pan. That is just my opinion.

Reason for going rear mount was for simplicity and keeping the heat out of the engine compartment. The other issue was the lack of room in the engine compartment to do a clean install. The car runs cool, engine compartment is clean and servicing the turbochargers are easy with them in the rear. Everyone has different approaches and reasons for those approaches when installing turbos. As long as it works and makes power, that's all that counts.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:54 AM   #33
Jabeyta21

Thank you for all your inputs man i really appreciate it. I think im gonna get under my car again today and try to reassess which route i wish to go. To bad the vortech v3 self contained unit is 2500$ or that's the route i would go since im only shootin for 420ish at the wheels. Im already full bolt ons so i kno my exhaust,ported IM,vmax, n spacer should all help get me above the stock numbers with this unit on. But im tryin to spend around 1000- 2000 max with me doin all the labor.

Old 09-21-2016, 06:08 PM   #34
Jabeyta21

Hey alice, had another question for you. Wat turbo do you got on yours? I cant find a definitive answer as to wat turbo size the sts kit uses and im tryin to copy that kit for the most part. I dont kno wat size turbo would be best.

Old 09-21-2016, 06:09 PM   #35
Jabeyta21

I was thinking a gt35 when i was looking at the frount mount but if i use that on the rear will it lag to much? Should i go smaller? Or do you by chance kno wat turbo sts uses. Ive emailed them but no response

Old 09-22-2016, 07:02 AM   #36
alice

I used the Borg Warner 6258 EFR turbos. They spool faster than any others on the market due to their Gamma T turbine/shaft, ultra light!! No turbo lag on my rear mounts. They incorporate built in recirculation valves and wastegates and have stainless turbine housings. Top of the line. Of course, I changed torque converters for a higher stall. I have used Garrett, Turbonectics and others, over the years. They all work well but the EFR turbos are the best and fastest spool-up, in my opinion. Quit worrying about lag in a rear mount. If you have lag, you will have it no matter where you mount them. Yes, theoretically, the rear mounts will increase lag but it is so minimal for the advantages of having them in the back. Insulate the exhaust system and you are good to go. If you design your system correctly, performance will be great. I have done many rear mounts and never been disappointed. Everyone has opinions but I have done it and compared the different systems. Advantages and disadvantages to any design or location choice. Take your pick. Got some pictures for you!
Attached Images

Last edited by alice; 09-24-2016 at 08:34 AM. Reason: adde pics
Old 09-24-2016, 10:57 AM   #37
Jabeyta21

Wow man that setup looks way more elaborate and expensive than i was expecting but it looks freakin sweet!

Old 09-24-2016, 04:39 PM   #38
alice

Yes, this project is over the top. I'm 69 yrs old and is my last project. I wanted this right. It turned out nice and is still a work in progress. I have funwith it. Thanks for the compliments.
Old 09-24-2016, 05:40 PM   #39
Jabeyta21

Your welcome. The expertise is apparent.

Old 09-25-2016, 06:00 AM   #40
alice

There is more to it than just the top cap, complicated and don't recommend it butI have a perfect solution for you. I discovered this only recently. Many other years and models of the 3.6 V6 used a different oil filter adapter than the one on the Camaro, which is ugly and messy when changing the filter. I have attached a picture of this adapter. What you can do is get one of these, and then purchase a remote oil filter adapter to fit it, relocate your oil filter, then plumb in the cooler as you would do on any other install. Of course, it is your responsibility to check the mating bolt holes and ports before installing one of these. There are many GM part numbers but here are (2).
GM 12635599, 12590143, to name a few. Check to be sure it will work for your engine. Ebay currently has a couple used units. Check it out. Hope this helps. Make sure nothing is in the way on your vehicle but I think a few other guys are aware of this GM piece.
Attached Images

Old 09-25-2016, 07:52 AM   #41
littlefielc

Drives: 2013 convertible Hot Wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by alice View Post
I used the Borg Warner 6258 EFR turbos. They spool faster than any others on the market due to their Gamma T turbine/shaft, ultra light!! No turbo lag on my rear mounts. They incorporate built in recirculation valves and wastegates and have stainless turbine housings. Top of the line. Of course, I changed torque converters for a higher stall. I have used Garrett, Turbonectics and others, over the years. They all work well but the EFR turbos are the best and fastest spool-up, in my opinion. Quit worrying about lag in a rear mount. If you have lag, you will have it no matter where you mount them. Yes, theoretically, the rear mounts will increase lag but it is so minimal for the advantages of having them in the back. Insulate the exhaust system and you are good to go. If you design your system correctly, performance will be great. I have done many rear mounts and never been disappointed. Everyone has opinions but I have done it and compared the different systems. Advantages and disadvantages to any design or location choice. Take your pick. Got some pictures for you!
Just curious, what's the maximum gas velocity in the turbo lines? Are there measured or calculated pressure and temperature drop numbers?
littlefielc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 04:42 AM   #42
alice

No numbers, sorry. The only thing I can tell you is that when you launch the car from a dead stop, idling, no brake torqueing and simply push the pedal to the metal, I launch with 2 PSI of boost and it rises immediately from there. No lag on my set-up. If I brake torque from launch, I launch at 5 PSI. For a rear mount set-up, I will put this up against many engine mounted turbo installs. To be honest, however, the entire exhaust is triple wrapped with insulation, there are no mufflers or cats, the charge pipe from the rear to an oversized intercooler is 3" in diameter, water intercooling and one secret to the great performance and lack of turbo lag is the choice of turbochargers. The Borg Warner 6258 EFR series has a special Gammi-T turbine and shaft which is as light as the aluminum compressor wheel, reducing the inertial forces to spool up the fastest on the market. The turbos also have ball bearings and has a water cooled center section, built in wastegates and built in recirculation valves. A complete package. 40,000 miles of absolutely trouble free driving. Runs cool and is a high 11 second street Camaro. I drive it everyday.