Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-28-2016, 03:46 PM   #1
Fishinfirefighter

Drives: Zl1
Anyone running the BMR ice box?

It looks good I REALLY like the 1.7g capacity. About to order it but I cant find any threads about it by searching other than BMRs posts about it. Would like to hear from someone actually using it.
Fishinfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 05:15 PM   #2
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray ZL1
Looks like a quality piece. Thought about it myself but ended up going with a custom 3 gallon tank in the trunk.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:35 PM   #3
Fishinfirefighter

Wanted to do the trunk myself but its too much work for what really will only be utilized at the track for me, i dont go enough to justify it. I went ahead and bought it so hopefully have it soon to benefit from ice at the strip. Seems a no brainer to me vs the poular d3 people run. 3x the capacity, much better mounting location and it looks way better than the d3. I ordered some braided lines and -an fittings to dress up the engine a bit.
Ill post pics and possibly a write up if anyones intrested. Still need to install my headers also....fun stuff stacking up lol.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:13 PM   #4
Redlineviper

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishinfirefighter View Post
Wanted to do the trunk myself but its too much work for what really will only be utilized at the track for me, i dont go enough to justify it. I went ahead and bought it so hopefully have it soon to benefit from ice at the strip. Seems a no brainer to me vs the poular d3 people run. 3x the capacity, much better mounting location and it looks way better than the d3. I ordered some braided lines and -an fittings to dress up the engine a bit.
Ill post pics and possibly a write up if anyones intrested. Still need to install my headers also....fun stuff stacking up lol.
Please do, interested to find out
Old 08-29-2016, 01:19 PM   #5
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

I also have the D3 up under the hood. I figured more cooling wouldn't hurt, so I left both the D3 reservoir and the trunk tank. I am also still running the stock pump along with a secondary pump in rear. I did have my D3 painted black, but would have probably gone the BMR route if it was available at the time.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:47 AM   #6
Fishinfirefighter

Guys Im having an OCD moment here....with these ice boxes mounted LOWER than the brick inside the lid, how is it possible avoid having to seal the box up and refill/burp/top-off the system every single time you open the resevoir tank???? I was skimming over some stuff on the "V" forum and found that this is why they all like the norcal box so much since it mounts higher or level with the brick. It makes sense though. Having a tank lower seems to me would drain the brick down to the resevoir tank whenever its opened and require topping off up top at the lid along with a dam good seal on any resevoir down stream, or the entire coolant system for that matter.
Has this even been discussed before? If its old news and i just havent seen it then please point me in the right direction.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:18 PM   #7
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

It's not a pressurized system, so as long as the pump is working you shouldn't have any issues with air in the system. I keep my tanks pretty full and with the pump running I've never had an issue circulating fluid.