Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 03-29-2009, 01:43 AM   #15
Sctrjn21

Drives: 11 Ford Edge, 09 Lexus
i think it sucks.. Why do they have to make it more difficult for us to customize? With the way the dash is layed out and with the factory head unit tied into everything I looks like I am stufk with factory for a little while.
Sctrjn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:22 AM   #16
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummoneR View Post
Yep, I had a 98 Honda Civic, I had to tie the factory head unit off behind the dash, fortunately there was room.

Personally I am getting to the age... or desire to no longer install aftermarket stereos anymore, I have done it with every vehicle I have owned... the last being the FJ of course... ugh it took forever (to do it right) I think if I do anything to my CAMARO I will maybe replace the factory paper cone speakers and maybe add an aftermarket sub box. Nothing outlandish... I'm already losing my hear... LOL Maybe a solid sounding 8 or 10" in a box, just enough to get a decent thump, nothing to set off alarms... been there done that...

But as Nexus states add to it not replace (except the paper cones if that's what they end up being)

Its funny I am the same way, I'm almost 30 now and I've been doing stereos since I was like 15-ish, and pretty much gave up the past few years. I was perfectly fine with the Bose setup in my C5 (scary I know!). In the past I've had some really sick setups I'd built with all kinds of components, Id test a lot too. I worked in multiple shops installing, and I'd always update my cars with the latest stuff. And then I don't know I just got tired of it all. I'm at the point now where if the stock system is good enough its fine with me.

However... in my home...... hehehe
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:49 PM   #17
PoleCat2SSRS2010
R6P Marketing Lab Rat

Drives: sometimes
If somene in the aftermarket were savvy anough they could actuall make a compact unit that has a programable menue and hides away in the glove box or console while allowing for the use of a custom head unit...Or maybe the real question is; "Has someone already made something like this?"
Old 03-31-2009, 09:52 PM   #18
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
We have all known this for a long time. This is not news.

That's why the advice was to buy the upgraded sound system if you could afford it.

Might be some ways to upgrade some subcomponents such as subwoofer and speakers if it has RCA outputs.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:26 PM   #19
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
This is very believable. Head units have become a very integral part of a lot of cars. We should all heed these sorts of threads. It will take some serious work in the programming and wiring departments to overcome this obstacle.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:32 PM   #20
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Best advice for those who really want a better sound system:

Line converters from the factory amplified outputs into low level RCA. Low level RCAs into after market amps. Aftermarket amps to power aftermarket speakers.

This setup will give you excellent sound quality, your own choice of speakers and amps, and all the thump you might desire that not even the factory Boston Accoustic system could provide.

You also keep the factory head unit and all factory integrated vehicle operations.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 06:18 AM   #21
WildBeast15

Drives: 2002 mercury mountaineer
all you would need is a adapter for the new headunit and it would work with all of these functions... some companys are working on the... i know pioneer is and alpine is..
Old 04-02-2009, 08:11 AM   #22
josh1147
Delivered 29June09

Drives: Early Order Camaro
Mobile A/V has been a passion of mine since I was kid. I've already been discussing this with my A/V guy and we've been discussing options. There are companies like "PAC", "Coastaltech", and others that design just these kinds of adapters.

Also, line level conversion with the factory powered systems is not usually the best option nor does it yield an "unmolested" signal. The signal you capture is normally amplified and will have the "factory eq" applied. You are better off to use one of the newer factory integration pieces...the ones I'm familiar with are Alpine PXE-H650 and VPA-B222. They clean up the signal and give you the proper integration points for adding amplification, etc. I believe Rockford has a similar unit...there may be others.

I went through this with my 2007 Avalanche. The Camaro sounds even more complicated so I'd caution folks to just enjoy the car for the first 6-12 months and allow the aftermarket to come up with some solutions.

If you are in the St. Louis Metro area, I highly recommend JML Audio. The owner is 100% meticulious and treats every job as if he was doing it on his own car.
josh1147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:16 AM   #23
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
I mentioned in the other post there must be some sort of pigtail in the trunk for connecting the GMPP MTX Sub Box. HOPEFULLY that pigtail will not be filtered for low frequency and will be full range. Then I'm sure PAC or someone will create an adaptor to convert it to a standard RCA pre-out.... Just gotta give it like 6 months.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:09 PM   #24
CaptianSam
Car Garage

Drives: 350z,A4,SRT8...see sig
i used to have a sweet kenwood deck in my 350z that would display lat g's and quarter mile times with 5 volt preouts and 323 cd readins per second or something??

On My Ipad
Xbox McLovin1515
Ps3 McLovin1555
Current Autos:68z28,03viperSRT10,04escalade,05RangeRoverSport SC
Project Autos:80corvette350-500hp 6speed,06charger S'C 6-speed posi,74Firebird400blue,69chevelle572 707
New Autos:2012CamaroSSRS,09ChallengerSRT8
Past Autos:....too many to list

"i told you it was gettin' an LS3"
Go down deep enough into anything and you will find mathematics. Dean Schlicter
B.Sc. Hons. Mathematics
CaptianSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:58 PM   #25
Flighttester

Drives: 2008 Audi A4 3.2 MT S Line
Apparently just one more reason to avoid GM products, I guess.
Flighttester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 09:19 AM   #26
Bungo
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: 2010 ABM Camaro SS
Send a message via AIM to Bungo
I wouldn't go so far as to say avoid GM products Flighttester. Quite a few car companies are integrating the radio into almost anything. Hell, I know from experience if you install a head unit into a VW/Audi and do not disconnect the K wire (communications wire from the radio to the computer) then a scan tool cannot communicate with the vehicle and has the potential to cause all sorts of headaches.

I have spoken with Boulevard Customs about this car. They have used communications equipment and have figured out in other vehicles that they can keep the factory radio in place and functional and have installed quite a few "toys" and other "ICE" accessories into other vehicles and they have performed flawlessly and the customers have received the in-car performance that they requested. Yet they can still maintain the factory options and features that are available with the factory radio but the performance of an aftermarket one.
Bungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:18 PM   #27
bengen5

Drives: 1LT IBM Camaro RS
My idea is too add another HU video touch (kenwood ddx####)where the 4 pack gauges go, for navi maybe backup camera..just play dvd's...who knows, you may ask why....i say cuz why not

1LT/RS 6M IBM CC BA
ordered 3-6-09
VIN # 2G1FF1EV9A9123847
picked up 7-17-09
bengen5 is offline   Reply With Quote