Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 07-29-2011, 06:22 AM   #463
Tstorm180

Drives: '11 Camaro SS Conv. + '06 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tstorm180 View Post
Been in the shop (dealer) for 3 days now for the new top. They are doing the work in-house rather than sending it to out to an upholstery shop. Stay tuned.
Still waiting. They called last night at 7:00 to tell me they are doing everything they can to get it back to me by the end of the day today. Apparently, the rivets that they needed didn't come with the top so they needed to special order them.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:41 AM   #464
rainey85

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Camaro Vert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightrider View Post
So I picked-up the car tonight after top replacement and air conditioner re-programming. The screw holes were moved, but the brackets themselves not cut back as SUX has shown.

The top looks to fit perfectly across the header, quarter and trunk area. Top is in perfect condition but yes, has the 2 ever so slight humps that did not exist before. They don't bother me too much as they're pretty difficult to notice. The crew replacing it looked like they were meticulous about the install.

I took SUX's advice (again...) and lowered top a couple of times in lot then put it almost all the way down and gave it some pretty decent back/forth shakes to simulate driving with it down. I lifted it back up and could not find any rub marks.

Drove home with top up and I now have some wind noise over 55 mph coming from rear passenger side. It sounds like its coming right from the rear window area. No noise below that speed and even at/above that its not too bad. I will however monitor over the coming weeks as top continues to stretch/form then take back if it still exists.

Overall, satisfied with the work but I'll be trimming the brackets this weekend to be 100% sure.

I was told by my service manager not to put the top down for 2 weeks after it was replaced because it can cause issues with the stretching and setting of the top. It sounds like nobody else was told that seeing how tops were put down right after replacement by some of ya'll. I'm guessing it didn't matter too much anyway cause I still got the lumps on my new top too and didn't put it down for almost 3 weeks (1 week it rained everyday and the next week was out of town on vacation), so at least I didn't miss putting it down.

rainey85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:18 AM   #465
Lightrider

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 Hurst Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainey85 View Post
I was told by my service manager not to put the top down for 2 weeks after it was replaced because it can cause issues with the stretching and setting of the top. It sounds like nobody else was told that seeing how tops were put down right after replacement by some of ya'll.

They didn't say a word. I'll drop top probably this weekend.
Lightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:23 AM   #466
rainey85

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Camaro Vert.
I'm taking my back in on Monday for them to look at the lumps in the top and also to check out my bluetooth and the rattle I keep hearing when I hit any bumps (sounds like it's coming from the trunk). I found a TSB for both of those issues so I'm making it easy for my service dept.

rainey85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:31 AM   #467
LessSinister

Drives: 2011 - 2LT/RS Convertible
Quote:
I'm taking my back in on Monday for them to look at the lumps in the top and also to check out my bluetooth and the rattle I keep hearing when I hit any bumps (sounds like it's coming from the trunk). I found a TSB for both of those issues so I'm making it easy for my service dept.

I have the marks and will be taking it to my dealership later today for them to look at the bent frame and I will point this out to them also.

Thanks.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:54 AM   #468
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
I hear a rattle in my trunk every once in a while also.
Quote:
I was told by my service manager not to put the top down for 2 weeks after it was replaced because it can cause issues with the stretching and setting of the top. It sounds like nobody else was told that seeing how tops were put down right after replacement by some of ya'll. I'm guessing it didn't matter too much anyway cause I still got the lumps on my new top too and didn't put it down for almost 3 weeks (1 week it rained everyday and the next week was out of town on vacation), so at least I didn't miss putting it down.
They told me to keep it up for a couple of days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago77 View Post
I have the EXACT same noise... same speed/location etc...been to the trim shop 3 times to have them look at it and they just can't get it back to factory sound... I know its a vert and some noise is expected, but I had NONE before the top replacement, and now I do- its bullshit!

Your marks will return... sorry to be the bearer of bad news... give it a few days... SUX cutting fix works! Only way for now!
GOOD NEWS! My wind noise has slowely but surely gone down considerably. I have to think the top is stretching to fit better. The gaps right behind the rear quarter windows are not as big as when I first picked up my car. It has been CRAZY hot here lately (27 straight days of 100*+) and so I have been driving with my top up mostly. i have to think that leaving it out in the sun to bake with the top up has to help it stretch and settle. Remember, our cars did sit in the sun with the top up for almost a month, from when they were built to when we took delivery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddB View Post
Just put some clear silicone on the back of the bracket and the screws that are sticking out.About a 1/8" thick or untill it covers the screws sticking out. Let it dry over night and your good to go.I just got back from a 2 week trip. I put on 4700 miles with over 3500 miles with my top down. I have no wear marks or any kind of marks on my top after doing this. Try it.
It is NOT the screws that are causing the wear marks. It is the very outer edge of the headliner anchors and the brackets. Check out my "FIX" thread for detailed pictures. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153498
Quote:
So I picked-up the car tonight after top replacement and air conditioner re-programming. The screw holes were moved, but the brackets themselves not cut back as SUX has shown.

The top looks to fit perfectly across the header, quarter and trunk area. Top is in perfect condition but yes, has the 2 ever so slight humps that did not exist before. They don't bother me too much as they're pretty difficult to notice. The crew replacing it looked like they were meticulous about the install.

I took SUX's advice (again...) and lowered top a couple of times in lot then put it almost all the way down and gave it some pretty decent back/forth shakes to simulate driving with it down. I lifted it back up and could not find any rub marks.

Drove home with top up and I now have some wind noise over 55 mph coming from rear passenger side. It sounds like its coming right from the rear window area. No noise below that speed and even at/above that its not too bad. I will however monitor over the coming weeks as top continues to stretch/form then take back if it still exists.

Overall, satisfied with the work but I'll be trimming the brackets this weekend to be 100% sure.
Since they had to actually redrill your holes to move the headliner anchors over, they may have moved them far enough to where the excess plastic doesn't hang over the edge of the bracket (I would have to see some pics to be sure). The headliner anchor is the biggest culprit in the wear marks. I think what you are doing is THE SMARTEST thing to do. Get your top replaced and then trim the brackets. This will guarantee that you will have a rub mark free brand new top.

I suggest EVERYONE do this after they get a new top just to save them the hassle of having to replace it again.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:17 PM   #469
ToddB

Drives: 2011 2SS Convertible Supercharged
Sux . Ya i allready cut my brackets down. Thanks I did this 5 weeks ago. But i did notice the back of the screws pokeing into the top so i put some silicone on them and the bracket to make sure. Your fix and the silicone has been working great.
ToddB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:23 PM   #470
OrangeVert
"Catharine"

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS-3 IOM/IO vert
Quote:
I took SUX's advice (again...) and lowered top a couple of times in lot then put it almost all the way down and gave it some pretty decent back/forth shakes to simulate driving with it down. I lifted it back up and could not find any rub marks. ...
Maybe try some chalk and see if it's touching.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:28 PM   #471
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeVert View Post
I used lotion.

SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:47 PM   #472
OrangeVert
"Catharine"

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS-3 IOM/IO vert
Oh right, Sux. Sorry, I forgot.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:17 PM   #473
IL-Tracker
That's why.........

Drives: Traded a 2011 2SS/RS A6 Blk Vert
Well, crap!! Went and checked again, after SUX so adamantly claimed it was the bracket rather than the two screws (thanks for being persistent by the way) - and, I was wrong. Have one large indentation from wear on the passenger side, but nothing significant yet on the driver side. Definitely a result of the bracket. There are only 600 miles on the car - all with the top down.
Now the dilemma - does one wait until it worsens so the car requires a complete new top under warranty (I'm concerned because of the issues with the new replacement tops), or make the bracket repair, and hope it doesn't get any worse, but then living with the very visible wear mark on the outside of the top. And, if it does get worse, will it still be covered under warranty? Will my bracket modifications void the warranty? Decisions, decisions. Would certainly appreciate your opinions. Thanks

tracker
IL-Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:33 PM   #474
Lightrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeVert View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post
I used lotion.
So I'm calling it an afternoon for work and decide, why wait until this weekend, let's get that top fixed today...

I can confirm the chalk methods work. I just put a little dab of chalk on the bracket, closed the roof and voila! A nice little chalk spot where the rub is/was (as confirmed by EVERYONE who's already had the 'fix').

So I grab my Torx set and DAMNIT wouldn't you know it the smallest in my set is T20 so I can't remove the headliner attachment. Later tonight I'll be grabbing a T15 and fix, like original plans, tomorrow.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:37 PM   #475
Lightrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL-Tracker View Post
Well, crap!! Went and checked again, after SUX so adamantly claimed it was the bracket rather than the two screws (thanks for being persistent by the way) - and, I was wrong. Have one large indentation from wear on the passenger side, but nothing significant yet on the driver side. Definitely a result of the bracket. There are only 600 miles on the car - all with the top down.
Now the dilemma - does one wait until it worsens so the car requires a complete new top under warranty (I'm concerned because of the issues with the new replacement tops), or make the bracket repair, and hope it doesn't get any worse, but then living with the very visible wear mark on the outside of the top. And, if it does get worse, will it still be covered under warranty? Will my bracket modifications void the warranty? Decisions, decisions. Would certainly appreciate your opinions. Thanks

tracker
If you can't brush out rub mark to make it look like new:

Go to Dealer. Have TSB ID PIC5472 (Doc ID2668096) with you. Have them replace the top. Then go home and fix the bracket immediately after top replacement.

That's what I would do.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:05 PM   #476
chopper

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss convertible
Im yet to experience w my to I got my car on the 6 th.. is this inevitible that its going to happen and should I take preventable measures to have it fixed or is this a problem not everyone has
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote