Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-08-2014, 04:02 PM   #15
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by danvillekidd View Post
Question is will they? Since the bulletin says to check for the rattle. GM stated the the shaft wear was as designed and only wore to a certain point and the debris was trapped where it wouldn't do any harm. Now they are saying that the debris can contaminate the bearings and cause them to fail. I would think they would change them all to prevent other engine damage if the bearings fail, but dont know if they will. I had no interest in changing my isolater out until this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR ZL1 View Post
How are you going to get it replaced if you don't have the problem yet?

Yeah, they may not. I thought I read where all would be replaced regardless. Quite sure at some point they will have issues with the isolator and/or bearing.

When mine got replaced under warranty in December the new one had a solid isolator in it.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...dels?fbfanpage

Old 06-08-2014, 10:11 PM   #16
stymie

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
I saw that article in Motor Authority a few days ago & gave Ana Mae with the GM RECALL HOTLINE (1-800-458-8006) a call. Apparently, I was the 1st one to call regarding the ZL1 CAMARO supercharger "rattle"/Service Bulletin issue. They handle CADILLAC CTS-Vs as well. At idle & various RPM ranges, affected blowers will emanate a "rattle"/vibration that goes away with a little more RPM or less as it develops a harmonic. I was told that failure of the bearing/isolator could cause fluid contamination leading to engine failure or the inability of the car to start. Ana gave me a "service request #" & a "supercharger warranty #" that amends the car's service/warranty profile for posterity. Not all 2012 - 2013 ZL1 CAMAROS are involved & a determination is made by VIN #. Naturally, my ZL1 #61 is involved, yet my car runs great... NO rattles, weird noises or other issues. She told me that details are being firmed up & procedures for addressing this problem will be finalized within 2 weeks & dealerships notified. Preliminary Service Bulletins are sketchy at best.
stymie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:24 PM   #17
boondocksaint
Cartoon Maus

Drives: White ZL1, Chevroyota Prizolla
Subscrizzled.
boondocksaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:25 AM   #18
erke0034

Drives: 2013 Black ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012-1822 View Post
So I haven't noticed an extreme rattle of anything from mine. I believe someone posted a video on here at some point of their engine with the rattle. I really didn't hear it then.

Can anyone suggest how I could look, listen, whatever, and see if there are signs that I have a problem please? I don't really want to trust the dealer here to make the determination. So far I really think I'm fine, but I'm not a mechanic and certainly not experience with blown motors.
Check this link
erke0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:41 AM   #19
mikepconline

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Thanks for the YouTube. Mine does not sound like that. At least now I know what to listen for.

"I have one speed, I have one gear: Go!"
mikepconline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:54 AM   #20
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by stymie View Post
I saw that article in Motor Authority a few days ago & gave Ana Mae with the GM RECALL HOTLINE (1-800-458-8006) a call. Apparently, I was the 1st one to call regarding the ZL1 CAMARO supercharger "rattle"/Service Bulletin issue. They handle CADILLAC CTS-Vs as well. At idle & various RPM ranges, affected blowers will emanate a "rattle"/vibration that goes away with a little more RPM or less as it develops a harmonic. I was told that failure of the bearing/isolator could cause fluid contamination leading to engine failure or the inability of the car to start. Ana gave me a "service request #" & a "supercharger warranty #" that amends the car's service/warranty profile for posterity. Not all 2012 - 2013 ZL1 CAMAROS are involved & a determination is made by VIN #. Naturally, my ZL1 #61 is involved, yet my car runs great... NO rattles, weird noises or other issues. She told me that details are being firmed up & procedures for addressing this problem will be finalized within 2 weeks & dealerships notified. Preliminary Service Bulletins are sketchy at best.
Have them give you a copy of the bulletin. Several errors in that Motor Authority article. I think they wrote it before reading the bulletin. Doesn't cause engine failure. The coupler is sealed from the engine oil. If the rattle is left to rattle, the front bearing of the supercharger can become contaminated and seize. If the supercharger is seized, the belt won't turn, and the engine won't start. The engines isn't damaged, just won't crank with the supercharger seized.

Nothing to finalize in 2 weeks, the dealer can see the bulletin now. It gives exactly what to check - supercharger rattle at idle, exactly what to replace - the new supercharger and gasket part numbers, and how long the new warranty is 10yrs/120,000 miles.

If it doesn't rattle, do nothing. If it rattles at idle, ask them to do the bulletin.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:39 PM   #21
Six.Two SC

Drives: 2018 Summit White Camaro 1SS
Does this go for '14's as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Added: Diode Dynamics Black LED Sidemarkers, GM Dark Finish Tailights, GM ZL1 Black 3rd Brake Light, Black Plastidipped Bowties(front/rear), AFE Dry Drop In Filter, 12mm Spacers(front/rear)
Six.Two SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:09 PM   #22

Drives: Getaway Special
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
I'm sorry your dealership treats you like crap. I would try finding another dealership before just swearing off all GM products. Good luck getting it fixed.
I believe he said the GM Tech Line denied his complaints/issues. I believe he said the dealership technician actually confirmed the issue, not gave him "crap". If the dealer is also getting info from GM directives, sounds like they were left out of the loop at the time.

I concur with him, I called GM tech line, gave them my VIN and got a denial. However, a local dealer confirmed my VIN actually is included, in conflict with GM Tech Line.

So.... sounds like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing on this one.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:55 PM   #23
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six.Two SC View Post
Does this go for '14's as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, only 12's and 13's

The 14's already have the solid coupler.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 03:50 PM   #24
mrlundgren

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1
ZL1 Supercharger problems TSB#

I called my dealer today and asked them about this problem, and he of course was very rude and did not know anything about it. He asked what the TSB number was and I gave him the number I seen on this link which was #13-313, he laughed and said the number I gave him wasn't long enough to be a TSB nymber. Has anyone had any luck. Who should I contact?
[/ATTACH
Attached Images

mrlundgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:31 PM   #25
HDRDTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlundgren View Post
I called my dealer today and asked them about this problem, and he of course was very rude and did not know anything about it. He asked what the TSB number was and I gave him the number I seen on this link which was #13-313, he laughed and said the number I gave him wasn't long enough to be a TSB nymber. Has anyone had any luck. Who should I contact?
[/ATTACH
It is a Service Bulletin and can be found in post #20
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355197

Either print it out and take it with you, e-mail it to him, or read it to him verbatim over the phone.

the Service Bulletin is #13313 with no hyphen.

It's real. I printed it out and took it with me. The service manager read it, followed the steps it listed to determine if I had the rattle, and once he confirmed that I did per the instructions in the service bulletin, he agreed and ordered my SC.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:56 PM   #26
Rat

Drives: ZL1/TBSS/COPO
According to GM warranty line (1-800-222-1020) there is no "TSB" or "Re call" They said that the warranty has been extended and they will not fix anything until you have a problem with the car.

Drive the piss out of it, keep it serviced and take it in when something happens.
.....2012/14 COPO #33....427, 1.31 60' ....9.39@143......
Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:49 PM   #27
HDRDTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat View Post
According to GM warranty line (1-800-222-1020) there is no "TSB" or "Re call" They said that the warranty has been extended and they will not fix anything until you have a problem with the car.

Drive the piss out of it, keep it serviced and take it in when something happens.

But I'd make sure you or the dealer check your car for the rattle. I never noticed mine till the dealer checked it out while I was in line to get an oil change.
As soon as he started it and lifted the hood, it was clear as a bell.

But it is NOT a recall and will only fix it if your car satisfies the conditions laid out in the service bulletin.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:44 PM   #28
compudiva
BLCSWAN

Drives: Camaro ZL1, Toyota 4Runner
Those of you with the problem - what is you mileage? Mine is not a DD, perhaps I should make it more of DD just to be safe. My VIN does not indicate that there are any known recall issues. But since this is a bulletin....
compudiva is offline   Reply With Quote