Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 03-06-2009, 11:14 AM   #29
blaSSt

Drives: 98 SS, 15 COPO, 09 ZR1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcAngel View Post
Cmon you think people care about the seats. I never did and never will.
Well you may never get married and have children. A significant portion of the population does.

If you do, I GUARANTEE you will think about it because she won't let you ignore it.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:16 AM   #30
Chevyrocker
Weekend Rockstar

Drives: Depends on the day...
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaSSt View Post
Well you may never get married and have children. A significant portion of the population does.

If you do, I GUARANTEE you will think about it because she won't let you ignore it.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:26 AM   #31
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
What about when the Nismo comes out, I heard two rumors:

1. It's going to be a detuned version of the TTV6 in the GTR

2. Nissan has finished the DI version of their VQ engine

Something to think about

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:27 AM   #32
Dakota Kid

Drives: 2010 2SS/RJT/L99
I still think Mustang and Challenger are direct competitors to Camaro...and to a lesser extend the 370Z or G37 Coupe or Genesis Coupe. 20 somethings will flock to the imports, because they may not understand the heritage of our American muscle cars like we do...
Dakota Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:34 AM   #33
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1camaro70 View Post
actually the 370Z is not the best comparison, the Infiniti G37 Coupe has a back seat that adults can use, much like the Camaro, My G35 Coupe is for sale now, waiting for my Camaro.
Ah the G37! Man I love that carHow much? Pics???PM them to me so we don't jack the thread>.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:34 AM   #34
AJC

Drives: coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcAngel View Post
Ok after all the discussion of what car competes where with the Camaro . I looked at all the factors, price, drivability, speed , design, and that IT factor. When I narrowed it down out of all the cars out there that I can afford and would consider(and this is coming from a pro-american pro-GM guy) is the 370Z. The only other foreign car that I ever owned was the 350Z and Nissan has corrected all that I didnt like and then some. This car is Camaros biggest threat in my opinion in the hearts of the buyer. I look at it this way Mustang will always have its following, so Camaro won't steal many sales from them if at all. Plus this Camaro not only calls to us Camaro enthusiasts but introduces this car to a generation that never knew it. This generation is all about the Z!!! So these two cars are gonna be direct competition. I believe both cars in there own right stir the soul in a way that lets say the mustang and chally do not. There performance will be outstanding for both and even though the Z is more expensive for what it offers its still a bargain. LET THE GAMES BEGIN....So how many flames do I have to endure LOL
The Z is a 2 seat Japanese car and the Camaro is a 4 seat muscle car. So how is the Z in direct competition????? The Camaro, Mustang and the Challenger are the three that will compete.
AJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:52 AM   #35
1camaro70

Drives: 2010 2SS RS L99
The G35 Coupe we have is my wife's car, we shopped every 2 seater on the market 2 years ago, BMW, Mercedes, Infiniti, Nissan, no Chevrolet's (Corvette was out) never been in a Ford showroom, looked at Pontiac, But now after 2 years we realised the G35 can not go in the Snow, even with 4 snow tires, my wife has been driving a VW EOS all winter, no problem selling the G35 (so I can get the Camaro).
Chevrolet needs the Camaro to get people into the showroom, I as a Chevrolet person would never go near the Challenger or Mustang.
My grown children are looking at BMW's, Audi A4 and A3, Pomtiac G8, VW CC & EOS... but my daughter had a 2001 Camaro she wishes she would have kept, wait till she sees mine..........son's also waiting to see.....could have two SS and a V-6 within a year......
1camaro70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:20 PM   #36
jc211

Drives: NA Miata
I was considering 3 cars, a 370Z, 09 WRX and Camaro SS. All of them are capable in running 4.7 secs 0-60.

370Z, I sat in one at the Philly show, love the interior and imo the quality is higher than the Camaro's. But I can't get over its exterior no matter how hard I tried to like it, it still reminds me of a Chrysler CrossFire with a exterior that closely resembles a dog squarding to do his business...The lack ot backseats is also a deal-breaker for me.

WRX, AWD definitely a plus because I drive up to ski resorts a lot. Very impressive performance and definately a bargain for $25k. But then again I'm not fond of its uninspiring look.

Now my only pick is the Camaro SS.
jc211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:39 PM   #37
Tal

Drives: Old
What makes this particularly valid is that the Camaro is likely to dominate the Mustang and Challenger in performance/price across the board in all categories with only the GT500 with it's crazy price likely to surpass it by any signifcant margin in anything you want to measure. These cars aren't competition they are victims.

The 370Z on the other hand should give the Camaro a run for the money depending on what type of driving you are doing, but the problem with comparing to the Z is that it's lack of seating and space really will take it right off the list for many people that do care about those things. As for comparisons to the 2LT, well I suppose you could technically cross shop them but the SS models are really much more likely since the buyer is obviously looking for performance and the price range is very close between the Z and the SS. While they will be cross shopped they are also different enough in what they try to do that I would consider them to be indirect competition, it's like comparing to the G8 which is similiar in many ways but also has a very different appeal.
Tal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:45 PM   #38
1_2Many

Drives: 2008 Suzuki SX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstLSK View Post
Sorry to hear you would consider that car. It is about as un-American as it gets. Non of the parts, nor assembly is from the U.S.

Performace wise -- we will just have to see how is sizes up to a SS. Engine wise, it is undisputable fact that the LS3 does and will always have more potential that the uncle bens burner under the hood of the 370.

As far as looks -- I think it is butt ugly. When I took my 20 year old step Son to the auto show, he didn't like it either. He said "something about it just looks funny to me..... I don't like it at all"

To me, the back half of the car is the real turn off. It looks like an extremely fat person sat on the back of a 350Z.

Try using an actual 370z picture next time...that was a test mule and was just a modified 350z body. The final product looks MUCH better than that.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:04 PM   #39
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc211 View Post
I was considering 3 cars, a 370Z, 09 WRX and Camaro SS. All of them are capable in running 4.7 secs 0-60.

370Z, I sat in one at the Philly show, love the interior and imo the quality is higher than the Camaro's. But I can't get over its exterior no matter how hard I tried to like it, it still reminds me of a Chrysler CrossFire with a exterior that closely resembles a dog squarding to do his business...The lack ot backseats is also a deal-breaker for me.

WRX, AWD definitely a plus because I drive up to ski resorts a lot. Very impressive performance and definately a bargain for $25k. But then again I'm not fond of its uninspiring look.

Now my only pick is the Camaro SS.
All are capable of 4.7 0-60mph, but the SS will have a nice advantage at higher speeds.
AWD is a plus (I've owned a WRX and WRX STi), but a WRX will not come close to keeping up with a Camaro SS past 60mph or so. The 370z would hang a little better, but it will also fall behind.
Based on different magazine testing
The WRX traps 101-103 mph
The 370z traps 104 -107 mph

The Camaro SS should trap 108-110mph. We should see some SS track times real soon.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:30 PM   #40
Koolwip
Steve & Stefani

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I really do not think the Z is a direct competitior to the Camaro. One is an American Muscle car and the other is an import. These are two seperate and distinct markets. I think the 370Z is an awesome looking vehicle, and I read it performs well. However, this is an apples to oranges comparison. I do not know where the Genesis came from - I just cannot see someone saying, "Hmmmm......Camaro SS/RS or the Hyundai? Which one do I want?"
The Genesis Sedan is in a class with the BMW 5, MB E class and the Lexus GS - not a hot rod. The Genesis Coupe strongly resembles the 370z. Hyundai is notorious for copying other car makers designs.
All I am saying is that not only are the cars totally different in styling inside and out, but the markets to which they sell are as well. The Mustang, Challenger and the Camaro are, and have always been, each other competitors.
Do I want Sushi or a hamburger?
They ain't the same. Just my thoughts...
Old 03-06-2009, 01:39 PM   #41
ArcAngel

Drives: 07 Black Cobalt SS/SC
Send a message via AIM to ArcAngel
Ok I didn't want this to get heated I just wanted a discusion on if you guys agreed about the Z being the maros best competition.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:41 PM   #42
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Game OOOOOONNN!

Back to our regularly scheduled debate.

GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote