Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-31-2017, 01:53 PM   #1
BigJay

Drives: 2010 SS L99
L99 Cam Help

I am new to this forum and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction, possibly a thread already containing this topic . I have a 2010 L99 SS Camaro and im looking into a Cam. I have done a little research and was drawn toward a VVT cam rather than doing an LS3 conversion and LS3 cam. My question is what is the difference between the TSP VVT , VVT-2, VVT-3, and VVT-4 cams. Also im trying to find out what all I need to purchase before setting an installation/tune appointment with my local speed shop here in Tampa.
Mod I have now, (not much)
K&N CAI
Ported throttle body
BBK long tube headers w/HF cats
Dyno tuned by Phil @ Tampa Tuning
Any help is greatly appreciated, Thanks guys.
BigJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 02:03 PM   #2
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJay View Post
I am new to this forum and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction, possibly a thread already containing this topic . I have a 2010 L99 SS Camaro and im looking into a Cam. I have done a little research and was drawn toward a VVT cam rather than doing an LS3 conversion and LS3 cam. My question is what is the difference between the TSP VVT , VVT-2, VVT-3, and VVT-4 cams. Also im trying to find out what all I need to purchase before setting an installation/tune appointment with my local speed shop here in Tampa.
Mod I have now, (not much)
K&N CAI
Ported throttle body
BBK long tube headers w/HF cats
Dyno tuned by Phil @ Tampa Tuning
Any help is greatly appreciated, Thanks guys.
Welcome!
Here's the TSP VVT cam in action a good indication of how they differentiate.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=481873
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296878

Below is a good link for complete packages. (One of many)

http://shop.gwatneyperformance.com/g...tcamshaft.aspx

They include complete cam kits, it's always HIGHLY recommended you upgrade the lifters. There's debate on things like trunion, upgrading the oil pump and upgrading timing chain.

Off the top of my head, I believe L99's are equipped with pretty strong oil pumps and an upgrade isn't exactly necessary.

So to sum things up, get the complete kit from the link above and then you can consider going a step further like mentioned... timing chain, oil pump... perhaps even stronger lifters like these.
https://www.briantooleyracing.com/jo...lsr-32584.html

The L99's from the factory have really crappy AFM (active fuel management lifters) that are a nightmare waiting to happen for any cam upgrade. So my personal recommendation is go have a shop tear your car apart once the first time, skip no steps, don't go cheap and you wont have to worry about it again!
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 02:36 PM   #3
BigJay

Awesome! That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks taking time out of your day to help me out. I'm excited for what's to come!
Old 01-31-2017, 02:36 PM   #4
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
Quote:
Awesome! That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks taking time out of your day to help me out. I'm excited for what's to come!
https://www.texas-speed.com/p-260-ts...t-package.aspx

No problem! Above is the link for the actual cam you're looking for, complete with the entire package.
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 03:10 PM   #5
John_C
LSx FTW!!!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
With the VVT cam, we can still delete the DOD oil control junk and lifters, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kooks Jet Hot Headers
Kooks Full 3in exhaust
Trick Flow GenX 255's
Polished PAC .660's & Ti-retainers
TSP VVT 3.2 cam kit w/DoD Delete
Smith Bro's Trunnion kit
AEM X-Series OBDII Widebands
FIC ID1300x Injectors
GM ZL1 High Output Fuel Pump
DSX Tuning Flex Sensor
DSX Auxiliary Fuel System
Tim King Stage 4 Max Effort CTSV 6L90
DSS 1 piece aluminum driveshaft
JRE 6L80E / 6L90E Dipstick
NGK Iridium IX spark plugs #7 heat range
Mighty Mouse Camaro 5 Wild w/-12an and Billet Black
HP Tuners VCM Suite
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 03:40 PM   #6
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_C View Post
With the VVT cam, we can still delete the DOD oil control junk and lifters, right?

Part of the process of a cam change in an L99 involves changing of at least the 8 AFM lifters and the lifter valley plate being upgraded to the LS3 plate. The plate and lifters are where the DOD work is happening, using oil pressure and lifters that change length based on that pressure. So yes, you will be 'deleting' the DOD/AFM, although it also need to be disabled via tune. I am not certain if the oil pump is required to be changed out as well. I know it's recommended, but not sure if required, hopefully someone else can speak on this.

It may help when thinking about all of this to try and separate your linking of the DOD/AFM with the VVT. They are 2 separate systems, with the VVT being what you want to keep.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 07:02 PM   #7
lownslowss
PaPa Smurf

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Call GPI. Gwatney performance

Old 02-01-2017, 07:11 AM   #8
BigJay

I really appreciate all the help guys I didn't expect to get a response so quick. I will be going with Texas speed VVT cam definitely. I'll give them a call this week and see if I can get something in the works.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:53 AM   #9
RaceFuel

Drives: A boring sedan
Quote:
I really appreciate all the help guys I didn't expect to get a response so quick. I will be going with Texas speed VVT cam definitely. I'll give them a call this week and see if I can get something in the works.
Before you do that I would recommend you still contact GPI...their smallest cam still makes 450 WHP with exhaust and unmilled heads.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:59 AM   #10
Sales@Texas-Speed

Drives: Z06
Take a look at our VVT2. It picked up 114hp over stock and offered a really broad range of power. On the dyno pull you can see it picks up across the board. We have spent tons of time and hundreds of dyno pulls making these new camshafts. Our lobes are very valvetrain friendly and our camshafts are more accurate than any other cam I've seen. We have looked at many other manufacturers and haven't seen any other cam even come close in accuracy.

Last edited by Sales@Texas-Speed; 02-01-2017 at 12:56 PM.
Sales@Texas-Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 12:26 PM   #11
Davidd_SS

Drives: LSX FTW
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceFuel View Post
Before you do that I would recommend you still contact GPI...their smallest cam still makes 450 WHP with exhaust and unmilled heads.
Correct! GPI are hands down the best when it comes to vvt, don't look anywhere else or you'll regret it.
Take a look at their SS1 VVT cam, it outperforms bigger grinds from other companies.

Tags
cam, l99, tuning