Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 07-13-2016, 06:27 PM   #1
2012OrangeVert

Drives: 2012 Orange 2SS/RS Convertible
Looking to replace my mufflers or buy axle back. Need input.

My car is a 2012 SS. Convertible with the factory ground effects. I want just a little more sound , really, not a lot more. And I dont want drone. I have been looking and listening to sound clips. Out of all of them I like the sound of the BBK Varitune. But their axle back will not work with the ground effects. Could I just buy the BBK Varitune mufflers and get a muffler shop to put them in place of my mufflers? I'm asking because they only sell them as offset/offset. And if I am correct I need mufflers with center/ offset. Could a muffler shop simply bend some pipe to correct this? Also a guy has a Flowmaster Force 2 axle back for sale, but it doesn't work with ground effects. Could that be made to work by a muffler shop also? Flowmaster told me that the ground effects has the pipes coming out the back about 2 inches lower than stock. And to top it all off, I bought a really great extended warranty, a nd my dealer says no headers, and no cutting out the resonator. Thanks for any help or input.
2012OrangeVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:44 PM   #2
2012OrangeVert

A pic for reference.
Attached Images

Old 07-13-2016, 07:52 PM   #3
13BRM2SSRS

Drives: 13 Camaro 2SS Vert L99
Factory GFX do not change the mounting location so everything still lines up like stock, what changes is the length of pipe that protrudes out the back since the GFX has the chrome bezels that take up more space behind the bumper. I can't say all manufacturers will work with GFX but I think most will with a little modification. I bought a Megan Racing Cat back, cut the tips off the mufflers and had a shop weld in pipe to fit which worked great but I wasn't happy with the mufflers. I ended up replacing the mufflers with a set of MBRP mufflers which fit and sound great. Hope this info helps.
Attached Images

Black GFX / Dynatech Supermaxx LT Headers / FR Black Chrome ZL1 Replicas 275/315 / RDP Tune / CAI / VMAX TB / MBRP SS Catback / Gtechniq CSL & EXOV3 / VTC / RX Catch Can / Valentine 1 / Halo DRL / LED Fogs
13BRM2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 09:19 PM   #4
2012OrangeVert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13BRM2SSRS View Post
Factory GFX do not change the mounting location so everything still lines up like stock, what changes is the length of pipe that protrudes out the back since the GFX has the chrome bezels that take up more space behind the bumper. I can't say all manufacturers will work with GFX but I think most will with a little modification. I bought a Megan Racing Cat back, cut the tips off the mufflers and had a shop weld in pipe to fit which worked great but I wasn't happy with the mufflers. I ended up replacing the mufflers with a set of MBRP mufflers which fit and sound great. Hope this info helps.
It does help, and I thank you. At least I know I can most likely use any catback or axle back for convertibles. Even if they have to be very slightly modded. Or possibly just have some new mufflers welded in and the tips lengthened.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:39 AM   #5
EXPIM

Drives: 2015 ChevroletCamaro SS Conv.
Recently got my wife into a 2015 Camaro Convertible SS (Auto transmission) and she is already asking me if anything can be done to improve the exhaust sound without making it uncomfortable when driving with the top down.

So far I have found this (don't know yet if other options are available)
Axle back: http://solo-performance.com/axle-bac...-convertiblkit
Cat back: http://solo-performance.com/mach-xc-cat-back-camaro

Hope this helps, please let me know what system you end up using.

PS This is my first post, I haven't posted a introduction message yet as I have recently started a new job and my location is not yet cast in stone.
EXPIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 04:16 PM   #6
GodWentPunk

Drives: 2015 2SS White Convertible CE/INDY
I got the Legato...

Pros:
1. 20-30% Louder then stock
2. No Drone
3. Cheap Price
Cons:
1. Poorly made system
2. No warranty ..at all.. --basically, you could be throwing away your $300
3. Made in China

I'm now looking into Flowmaster Outlaw/American Thunder or Borla ATAK which will give me a more louder system.... and much better quality.
GodWentPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 10:16 PM   #7
Subzero

Drives: Black 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
With ground effects, you don't have many choices. Personally, I really like my Corsa exhaust. No drone, very tame at idle and screaming when you get on it.

They do make a ground effects kit specific to our vehicles:

http://www.corsaperformance.com/view...14976&cfg=1919

Another option is to ditch that rear diffuser and go with their sport exhaust. For me, that wasn't enough, as I actually purchased the ZL1 exhaust that doesn't technically fit on our vehicles due to the bracing - so I made it fit by extending said bracing downward.

Subzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 04:27 AM   #8
nobodyspecial

Drives: 30th and 45th Ann
My car is still under warranty. I have gone over my options over and over again and the conclusion was Texas Speed long tubes with HF cats + tune. This will bolt right up to my OEM exhaust and will give me the volume and performance I want.

Price looks to be around $800 plus tune (I would have done a tune either way by this point) and I can do the header install myself.

I just won't do any of the above until my warranty is no longer.
nobodyspecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 10:33 AM   #9
2012OrangeVert

Now I just found this GMPP catback on Craigslist and bought it. I am just not sure if it will fit where the extra bracing is on the convertibles. Is those flat spots where it fits the extra bracing?
Attached Images

Old 07-23-2016, 10:57 AM   #10
13BRM2SSRS

Drives: 13 Camaro 2SS Vert L99
That's a stock LS3 factory exhaust with the GMPP axel back added. It will fit fine after the muffler tips are cut off.
Black GFX / Dynatech Supermaxx LT Headers / FR Black Chrome ZL1 Replicas 275/315 / RDP Tune / CAI / VMAX TB / MBRP SS Catback / Gtechniq CSL & EXOV3 / VTC / RX Catch Can / Valentine 1 / Halo DRL / LED Fogs
13BRM2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 01:28 PM   #11
2012OrangeVert

Quote:
That's a stock LS3 factory exhaust with the GMPP axel back added. It will fit fine after the muffler tips are cut off.
Thank you. Now so just found an old article on here about it. This makes me happy . I don't have to pay an exhaust shop for any work. Except the tips.
Old 07-24-2016, 08:30 PM   #12
2012OrangeVert

I went ahead and put it on kickstands in the garage and put this on today. Got it all done in a couple's hours. Only thing left is the tips were too big, so I had to cut them off. Will cut off the stock tips and have them welded on. I like it. Not real loud at all. But I didn't want it real loud being a vert, and we take it on trips with the top down. Thanks for the help!
Attached Images

Old 07-30-2016, 09:50 AM   #13
2012OrangeVert

Quote:
Man you were dead on. It fit perfectly except those 4 and a half inch tips wouldn't fit in the factory ground effects bezels. Cut them off with my sawzall.
Old 07-31-2016, 09:06 AM   #14
Kens ss

Drives: 2011 SS/RS , L99 convertible
I have the same ground effects and diffuser. I have quad tips, fills the bezel nicely.
Attached Images