Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-08-2019, 06:06 PM   #1
rdavis

Drives: 2012 SS
Valve train opinions

Looking for opinions on my next upgrade. This winter I plan on doing a cam swap on my LS3. I have been slowly acquiring parts over the last few months. Would like opinions as to whether I am missing anything.
So here we go, TSP 225/236/113 cam, pushrods, springs with titanium retainers. Melling oil pump, C5R chain, LS2 chain damper. (would like opinions on this vs the LS3 tensioner) I have the comp trunion upgrade, but after hearing the failure rate, I am hesitant about using them. Was thinking bushed rockers? I realize this is a small cam & I intended it that way. I daily drive it quite alot. I Just want to have as good of valvetrain that is reasonably possible. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-08-2019, 06:23 PM   #2
Crankshaft

Drives: 2011 Chevrolet Camaro ss
Lingenfelter has a beehive kit that they recommend for anything up to .660 lift, i believe its what they use on ther GT12 cams. Seems like best for dollar though is the BTR .660, i myself am looking for a spring kit since i have a GPI SS2 which has a tad bit lift more than the TSP cams.
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 07:12 PM   #3
go_go_gadget88

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS ABM 6M
I went with the TSP stage 3 cam, pushrods and .660 spring kit, and have been super happy with it all. I just went stock replacement melling, and I DID do the ls2 tensioner for (sure recommend) Since I sent in the heads for porting I did my lifters too. A couple showed signs of scoring from debris, and cam matched. Definitely inspect the stock cam lobes when it comes out. I chose to not look at my cam bearings and just stabbed the new one in with plenty of assembly lube I only spin to 7k though (7200 limiter). May have considered a different spring if I was turning faster but for my long term goals, this is a perfectly fine spring I think.

I went with solid bushed trunion and don't regret it. I went with the Powell kit from eBay (will link below) and no issues so far. CHE seems to be the top brand, but I don't think you can go wrong with any of them as long as they are solid bushing. I think this is at least part of why my valvetrain is so quiet.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-GM-LS...AAAOSwHZhbLEQo
2010 ABM 2SS/RS LS3 6 Speed -- Rotofab CAI | Speed Engineering 1 7/8" Longtubes w/ cat Delete | Magnaflow competition catback | TSP 231/246 cam| TSP/PAC .660" Spring Kit | TSP CNC Ported Heads | Bo White PTB | GPI Ported/RM Intake | 3.91's | BC Catch Can | MGW Shifter | BMR 1" Drop Springs | BMR Trailing arms/Toe Rods/Rear UCA Bushings | Pegasus Subframe Mounts
go_go_gadget88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 01:55 AM   #4
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
I would definitely replace that LS3 timing tensioner while you are in there. The LS2 dogbone is so inexpensive and rugged there really is no reason not to use it, imo. I have read too many posts here and elsewhere of people opening up their front cover only to see the LS3 tensioner arm snapped and/or missing. There is a tension spring behind the arm that can get lost and find its way behind the cam sprocket or elsewhere.

I recently rebuilt my new engine and made sure to pull out that flimsy LS3 tensioner and swap for the LS2 dogbone. I just prefer to not have moving parts somewhere that does not need it. They work differently though by design. The LS3 tensioner actually adds tension to the chain while the LS2 version simply disallows extended chain flex or 'slapping'. But plenty of people have had no issues with the LS3 version, it's simply my opinion.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 07:49 AM   #5
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Head gaskets, new lifters, new tty bolts, some RTV for the ends of the timing cover with all the gasket kit and the three bolt timing gear, a pushrod measuring tool. I break in with driven racing br30 and use ls30, and use a 8620 core.
Old 11-09-2019, 09:52 AM   #6
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_go_gadget88 View Post
I went with the TSP stage 3 cam, pushrods and .660 spring kit, and have been super happy with it all. I just went stock replacement melling, and I DID do the ls2 tensioner for (sure recommend) Since I sent in the heads for porting I did my lifters too. A couple showed signs of scoring from debris, and cam matched. Definitely inspect the stock cam lobes when it comes out. I chose to not look at my cam bearings and just stabbed the new one in with plenty of assembly lube I only spin to 7k though (7200 limiter). May have considered a different spring if I was turning faster but for my long term goals, this is a perfectly fine spring I think.

I went with solid bushed trunion and don't regret it. I went with the Powell kit from eBay (will link below) and no issues so far. CHE seems to be the top brand, but I don't think you can go wrong with any of them as long as they are solid bushing. I think this is at least part of why my valvetrain is so quiet.

^^^^^ This, I have the same cam in my 2011 L99 car with a 3600 stall and love it ! We went with the solid bushing trunion upgrade as my builder didn't trust the comp stuff anymore. I spin mine to 7000 all the time. Nice build go go... Good luck OP.
Old 11-09-2019, 01:16 PM   #7
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Your build sounds a lot like mine except for the cam, I’m saving for a set of Johnson lifters from GPI.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 12:24 AM   #8
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_go_gadget88 View Post

Ahh, so you know the old rule...

Never look at your cam bearings. If you do, they will be bad.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote