Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-30-2020, 10:00 PM   #1
oldman14ss

Drives: 2014 1ss camaro
need some opinions

I have a chance at a 78' firebird that will probably need a lot of work. the thing of it is Ive been down that road before. the ol lady wont let me keep both. Ive just turned 36k on my 14ss 6spd and now everything is just starting to loosen up. having fun with it by how much I drain my catch can. what do you all think ? all the advanced electronics are my biggest fear on my 14. I'm a retired electrician so wiring the 78 is a no brainer, then you look at paint,bodywork,rearend,motor trans,etc.. I am very spoiled with the 14 it's just like you know grab the door handle the window rolls down a 1/4 inch so door opens then rolls back up. I just worry about all the stuff I cant control on the new car. thoughts guidance? I'm not getting any younger. should I just enjoy what I have? I rally don't want to start another ground up build. but then if this fat old body would fit in a new c8 ? cant do a vette I'm Camaro through and through this is my 4th one. thoughts ? the oldman...........
oldman14ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 10:38 PM   #2
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
I think I’d keep what you got if I were in your shoes. I Love the mid 70’s T/A’s, they are one for my all time favorites. That said, there’s something special about a 5th Gen. you’ve got timeless looks, speed and very good handling all in one package factory built and light years ahead of the performance and handling of a stock 2nd Gen Firebird. If I had to keep one it would be the 5th Gen, especially if you’ve finally got it to where it’s what you want it to be. These cars have proven to be incredibly well built. I’ve not seen any major electrical issues out of them and don’t expect many to arise in the future.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.

Last edited by Aqua Blue RS/SS; 11-30-2020 at 10:57 PM.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 10:40 PM   #3
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
If this was me? Keep your car. I love Camaros too, but there is no way in hell I would get rid of a low mile 2014 SS for a 1978 that needs a ton of work. No damned way.

Obviously the best solution here is to keep the 2014 and buy the 78 as a project. Convince the wifey that since you just retired, YOU DESERVE IT as a gift for yourself. This will also be a gift for her, as it will keep you out of the house and busy and from annoying the hell out of her. I know there is some way you can spin this to your advantage!

I hear a lot of complaints from retired people that the biggest problem they face is boredom and also a fear of getting old by 'having nothing to do'. You gotta keep that brain working Oldman! If you absolutely have to make a choice, I say keep the SS. But if you can make both happen while keeping her happy? Go for it. You obviously want it and you know you deserve it.

Side note...I wouldn't worry too much about the electronics on our cars. Get yourself a good advanced scanner (something that can report, control/configure all of the modules) and then you are already a step ahead in troubleshooting. I bought a Chinese Tech2 Clone with GM GDS2 and it is a freaking lifesaver. Or you can get an Autel, Snap-On($$$), or competent knock-off. Keep up the maintenance, keep water out of the car, and the SS will last you decades. Nothing you can't handle.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 01:16 AM   #4
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
I'm going to be a little harsher than my fellow well respected forum members. WTF are you thinking?! Those years of F-bodies were of very poor quality, no power and IMO not very visually appealing. While I did like Jim Rockford's round headlight model I just don't get the "Smokey and the Bandit" nostalgia thing. I was a young auto mechanic in the '80s and those cars were falling apart at the 10 year mark. Difficult to work on also with all the smog equip. Some folks have done some nice restos, more power to them. Keep your '14 and enjoy. Any problems you encounter can be solved by consulting with your good friends here in this forum. And everyone knows that Burt Reynolds' best movie was Deliverance. Just ask Ned Beatty.
Old 12-01-2020, 06:28 AM   #5
byrds8

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS, L99
My first ride was a 1979 Berlinetta. I loved her and restored her from the harsh life she had before me. There are many a day I miss her but...I wouldn't trade my 13SS for her. Not sure what ariZona28 means by they were difficult to work on. I found it was more of a pain to work on the 4th gens. I have owned 6 different Camaros 2 2nd gens 2 4th gens and 2 5th gens. Even with the 5th gen flaws, they are a lot more fun that the previous ones. Just my 2cents worth.
2013 Camaro SS/RS, Stainless Power long tube headers with HF's, Air Raid CAI, Solo Mach XL cat back, BC Racing coil overs, Elite Engineering catch can, Ferrada Forge 8 Wheels, Windows tinted at 20%, Tuned by Dyno Steve.
byrds8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 07:46 AM   #6
sinlinson
2016 2SS Convertible

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS convertible
I'm getting the nostalgia bug myself. My Camaro is the fastest, best handeling car I've ever owned. But I find myself giving the old muscle cars second and third looks. I had a 75' TA and it was an awesome car. I myself have been looking at AMX's, had a 70' in my 20's and it was an amazing machine. Only problem is I would need $15,000 plus the Camaro to buy it back now.
Attached Images

sinlinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:08 AM   #7
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
Do both if you can. But if I had to choose I would go modern muscle all day.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:11 AM   #8
byrds8

Nice looking ride. Now I will say I did see a 700+HP 1970 Chevelle that made me look a few times. Was a gorgeous ride. Granted my Dad would probably choke me out like Bart Simpson if I ever bought one for myself lol. It has been one of his biggest regrets he got rid of the 1969 Chevelle he owned and would love to have another.
2013 Camaro SS/RS, Stainless Power long tube headers with HF's, Air Raid CAI, Solo Mach XL cat back, BC Racing coil overs, Elite Engineering catch can, Ferrada Forge 8 Wheels, Windows tinted at 20%, Tuned by Dyno Steve.
Old 12-01-2020, 08:11 AM   #9
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
had a 66 pontiac that i could fix in the driveway,but my 2015 RS is a lot better of a car,and no fighting the rust demon.id rather cruise than work on it at this point(yeah,i just retired too)
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:18 AM   #10
byrds8

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
had a 66 pontiac that i could fix in the driveway,but my 2015 RS is a lot better of a car,and no fighting the rust demon.id rather cruise than work on it at this point(yeah,i just retired too)
Grats to you also then.
Old 12-01-2020, 10:27 AM   #11
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
If this was me? Keep your car. I love Camaros too, but there is no way in hell I would get rid of a low mile 2014 SS for a 1978 that needs a ton of work. No damned way.

Obviously the best solution here is to keep the 2014 and buy the 78 as a project. Convince the wifey that since you just retired, YOU DESERVE IT as a gift for yourself. This will also be a gift for her, as it will keep you out of the house and busy and from annoying the hell out of her. I know there is some way you can spin this to your advantage!

I hear a lot of complaints from retired people that the biggest problem they face is boredom and also a fear of getting old by 'having nothing to do'. You gotta keep that brain working Oldman! If you absolutely have to make a choice, I say keep the SS. But if you can make both happen while keeping her happy? Go for it. You obviously want it and you know you deserve it.

Side note...I wouldn't worry too much about the electronics on our cars. Get yourself a good advanced scanner (something that can report, control/configure all of the modules) and then you are already a step ahead in troubleshooting. I bought a Chinese Tech2 Clone with GM GDS2 and it is a freaking lifesaver. Or you can get an Autel, Snap-On($$$), or competent knock-off. Keep up the maintenance, keep water out of the car, and the SS will last you decades. Nothing you can't handle.
^^^ This right here, I couldn't have said it any better myself!! Modern muscle all day long. I too just retired this past July and now I have all the time in the world to enjoy what I worked so hard to have, a clean well kept big HP modern muscle car! I also did the gear head thing when I was younger with the 69/327 Camaro with a Muncie and a 72 Challenger 340/4bbl auto, and to keep them running nice they needed constant attention, spent a lot of time working on them, and not cruising like I should have. Now the 14 SS you have, just keep her maintained properly and she will take great care of you. My Camaro is 10 yrs old and 118k miles and everyone of them has been a blast!! Keep the new one as you can mod the heck out of it, the old school one, you'd be working on it all the time. Good luck, congrats and have funnn!!!

Last edited by 1JEWLDSSRS; 12-01-2020 at 11:20 AM.
1JEWLDSSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:50 AM   #12
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
You wanna work on it or drive it?

I looked at several '70s Vettes and realized they were going to need work, break down at every inopportune moment, and suck me dry. Besides, i'm not a big fan of OLD fiberglass. Performance wise and stock, my little six does better and twice the mileage on trips. Probably cheaper to insure too.

Just one?
Stick with your SS and start planning out a fun motor build.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 11:08 AM   #13
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
First, get a new wife. One that likes cars and has a job to pay for your parts.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 11:27 AM   #14
Glassman66

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS 1le
My love was the '70 Chevelle. Every car I looked at was in bed of work or drove like shit.

I said F that, I love my decision. Went with a super low mileage car and could not be happier.