Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-19-2010, 03:30 PM   #15
Blade

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS BVM
Send a message via AIM to Blade
Quote:
Originally Posted by len56 View Post
wow, shes' putting that camera at eye level... the rear view mirror is right in your face!

I have to go see one and see how it is from a shorter person's perspective lol
I don't now how tall you are......I am 5'9" and its fine. I don't "lean back" and I use proper driver positioning while driving. 9 & 3 o'clock hand placement and slight bend in the elbows. Its perfectly fine.

2012 2SS/RS Build Thread - Totaled by red light runner

2010 LT/RS Build Thread - Traded in for 2012 2SS

2007 Acura TSX

1992 Oldsmobile Achieva V6

1992 Mercury Sable
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:31 PM   #16
kjd15
Finally!!

Drives: '10 2LT Summit white, '68 Camaro
I agree about the mirror positioning. I have no problems with visibility if they are adjusted correctly.
kjd15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:32 PM   #17
Hemlawk
AwesomeBillDawesonville

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS =)
In my rental I was freaked out at first by the visibility. I was scared to change lanes at first. By the end of the day was fairly used to it but still nervous.

Order placed on 1/13/11 - Purchased 2/22/11 2SS/RS CGM
Hemlawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:37 PM   #18
MrIcky

Drives: Dodge Ram Megacab & Cobalt SS
I'm 6'2". Visibility to the back wasn't really what bothered me, it was front-right. I agree on the pedestrian comment. Open road was great but it made me a little gunshy in certain areas.
MrIcky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:42 PM   #19
daphatgrant
June '10

Drives: '10 2SS/RS RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlawk View Post
In my rental I was freaked out at first by the visibility. I was scared to change lanes at first. By the end of the day was fairly used to it but still nervous.
Same here, I figured I'd share this for those that haven't yet had the pleasure of driving one .
daphatgrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:49 PM   #20
len56

Drives: 2010, or 2011 Yellow Camaro2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
I don't now how tall you are......I am 5'9" and its fine. I don't "lean back" and I use proper driver positioning while driving. 9 & 3 o'clock hand placement and slight bend in the elbows. Its perfectly fine.
I'm about 5'7" - 5'8" you think it would be good?
Old 01-19-2010, 03:51 PM   #21
Kai Lae

Drives: CGM 2SS A6
#1. She has her mirrors in the vid adjusted wrong
#2. I find that visibility is only a problem when I have to pull out into a median making a left turn, when I have to turn the car so it'll fit in the median. When this happens the oncoming traffic in the lane I want to turn into I can't see in anything but in a mirror because the pillar blocks the view of the road. Basically any time that you'd have oncoming traffic coming at you from an angle where you'd need to look through a rear pillar it's an issue (and that honestly doesn't happen often).
Kai Lae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:52 PM   #22
Kai Lae

Drives: CGM 2SS A6
Quote:
I'm nearly 6'3" and the rear mirror in my car isn't that low. Didn't bother with the seat adjust? Mine is fully down in my car.
Kai Lae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:57 PM   #23
TripleB
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2017 2LT Hyper Blue Metallic Camaro
that video is taken here! it's in manhattan beach, ca. to the right of where that person is parked on the street is a parking lot for a restaurant and then a little hill and my work! sorry, i thought that was kinda funny.

as for the video: i'm 6'2" and my visibility isn't as bad as that video shows. i think it's because the camera doesn't see like we do. no depth etc.

Last edited by TripleB; 01-19-2010 at 04:10 PM.
TripleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:24 PM   #24
2Muchmark

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
Send a message via ICQ to 2Muchmark Send a message via MSN to 2Muchmark Send a message via Skype™ to 2Muchmark
Trust me, visibility is much better than shown in that video. It might be less than some other cars such as SUV's of course, but visibility is great. When you first get in it "feels" different but after some seat adjustments you'll love it. I don't have a single problem knowing where all the other cars are around me.
2Muchmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:45 PM   #25
Blade

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS BVM
Send a message via AIM to Blade
Quote:
Honestly dude, the best piece of advice I have been given by my high performance driving instructor was to move my seat into position where the elbows have a slight bend when you are at 9 & 3 on the steering wheel and moving the side view mirrors out a little bit so they are not huggin the side of the car. You will be golden once you do that. Like one poster said, it works in ANY car.

2012 2SS/RS Build Thread - Totaled by red light runner

2010 LT/RS Build Thread - Traded in for 2012 2SS

2007 Acura TSX

1992 Oldsmobile Achieva V6

1992 Mercury Sable
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:50 PM   #26
Black5thgen
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 C6
The one complaint I have about the visibility of this car is that I wish the mirrors would angle down when you put it in reverse like my buddies 04 CTS. When I'm backing up into a parking spot I can never get it centered in the lines.
Black5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:57 PM   #27
mackvenom1

Drives: 2010 Mercedes-Benz C300 Sport 4M
Send a message via AIM to mackvenom1
Re: Backing up,

Doesn't one of the LT's come with backup sensors now standard?
mackvenom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:06 PM   #28
CamaroSS2010

Drives: Camaro 2012 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edrock View Post
When you sit in one for the first time, you may feel or notice the more restricted view than normal. After 1st 10 minutes of driving, you're already fine with it and adjusted. The key to safety and getting comfortable with your viewing area from the driver's seat is to eliminate your blind spots by positioning your mirrors correctly. There are threads on here somewhere on how to do it but the traditional way many of us were taught decades ago about how to adjust side mirrors does not work well on just about any car. The main mirror inside the car will show you everything behind you 3 lanes wide. The side mirrors do not need to be aimed down the side of the car, rather, they should be angled out more so that they are aimed at your blind spot. The visual you should see when a car is coming up behind you to pass is 1st in the main inside mirror. As the car approaches and passes on either side, you should be able to see the car transition smoothly from the main inside mirror to the outside mirrors in a way that you never lose sight of the car. It takes some getting used to but once you have trained yourself to be comfortable with that setup...no more blind spots. Works in all vehicles, not just the Camaro.
I do agree that this works well -- with one minor exception.
I always back my car into my garage.
I have Approx. 3" of clearance on each side of my mirrors.
If my mirrors are adjusted for the blind spots - Then I have a very hard time lining my car up to back into the garage.
I seem to always end up at an awkward angle.
Has anyone else had this problem.
If so, what is the solution?