Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-22-2020, 10:36 AM   #1
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Rental Trailers

I have yet to commit fully but I am contemplating taking my Z/28 to a few track events. The possibilities are the No-fly zone event in Gila Bend AZ, maybe autocross and the big fantasy is Silverstate Classic in Nev. Not oblivious to the simple rule of "if you can race, you can break" I prefer to trailer my car with my truck and support equipment. Which rental trailer is compatible with my low hanging snout on my Z? Talked to friendly folks at U-haul but they weren't very helpful. Don't want to take the financial plunge for my own trailer just yet (if ever). I'm sure others have faced this dilemma, all options will be considered.
ariZona28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 11:15 AM   #2
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
I used a U-Haul trailer to haul my lowered Callaway Twin Turbo Corvette with a body kit (there was about a 2.5" clearance between the road and the front splitter) when we moved several years back. Used a couple of staggered 1" X 6" boards right before the trailer ramps, bottom one was about 2.5' long, top one was about 1.5' long. Loaded and unloaded without any scraping or other issues.
Old 01-22-2020, 11:17 AM   #3
Coz3z3

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2015 1LE
I used a Uhaul a couple times for my 1LE. Just up front the splitter almost hits. It's easy when you have someone telling you how close you can get. Yours should be fine, just might have to put some wood under the ramps since you might sit a little lower than mine. But I didnt need the wood, the car went up perfectly.
Coz3z3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 01:50 PM   #4
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
As others have said, make sure you put some boards down to help with getting the ramps at a better angle. My car is lowered with the full GM ground effects which makes the nose very low. I bought 2-2"x 8"x 8' boards and cut them at an angle at the 5' mark so I had a little ramp up area. It worked perfectly. Also, having someone there to tell you if/when you're going to scrape loading up helps out a lot.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 02:36 PM   #5
ticowarbird
BOHIC

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS "Enola"
I used the uhaul trailer and some boards plus took off the front lip guards. I'm lowered an inch all around and have the gfx.
Attached Images

Old 01-23-2020, 10:39 AM   #6
Sxren_Camaro'13
SEAHAWKS FOR LIFE!!

Drives: '13 Mod Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
I have yet to commit fully but I am contemplating taking my Z/28 to a few track events. The possibilities are the No-fly zone event in Gila Bend AZ, maybe autocross and the big fantasy is Silverstate Classic in Nev. Not oblivious to the simple rule of "if you can race, you can break" I prefer to trailer my car with my truck and support equipment. Which rental trailer is compatible with my low hanging snout on my Z? Talked to friendly folks at U-haul but they weren't very helpful. Don't want to take the financial plunge for my own trailer just yet (if ever). I'm sure others have faced this dilemma, all options will be considered.
U-Haul anf i went to the phoenix raceway around there or avondale and go around there if you are looking fo r a race track
Sxren_Camaro'13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 10:59 AM   #7
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
I towed my 1995 Trans Am on a Uhaul trailer. The kind I rented had a hand crank located at the front of the trailer. I forget what it was used for, but I think it was to raise/lower the hitch/receiver.

Anyhow, I apparently had the car too far forward and over the course of 1200 miles the vibrations had rotated the crank just enough that the handle was rubbing on my painted front bumper. It wore a hole through the paint and primer before I noticed it. Not really a moral to this story. Sometimes I just like to hear myself talk.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 03:54 PM   #8
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Thread revival time! I decided to open the wallet and after the moths flew out I laid down some cash for a Sloan Kwik Load. Very nice entry level trailer for under $6K. My question to my fellow race fans is where is the center of gravity (teeter-totter point) of our Gen 5s? I want to place it on the trailer properly to distribute the load over both axles. Any help is much appreciated. Auto X in 2 weeks!!!
Attached Images

Old 02-02-2021, 04:03 PM   #9
Camaro2ss2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS M6
I don’t have a definite answer for you. I always load my trailers by watching the truck levelness. You can usually find the best spot by watching the truck. Higher than normal you are to far back. Lower than normal you are to far forward. This may be a basic answer and I’m sure others on here can give you a for sure answer but this works for me.
ECS supercharger, custom ground cam, ported throttle body, long tube headers, aeromotive fuel pump, fic injectors, ATI super damper, Corsa Extreme exhaust, elite engineering catch can and many other things.
Camaro2ss2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 04:35 PM   #10
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
You can see where it tows best...to far back and the trailer is squirrelly. You want some tongue weight.
Old 02-02-2021, 05:47 PM   #11
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
I didn't understand the need for tongue weight when I didn't pull trailers much, especially beyond a light single axle utility trailer with a light load.

Here is a simple demo.
That is without braking, and braking or need to swerve which creates much more havoc. Ever notice all the flipped trailer towing rigs on the side of the highways?

Note you want 10% to 15% of total trailer weight on the tonge. Once you go that high with a heavy trailer rig on a lighter pickup you might want to use a weight distribution hitch to keep more weight on the trucks front axle and make it more stable.

To answer your question it's near 50 50 weight distribution on the car, so that would mean the center point between the front and rear wheels is where the balance point is that you are asking. As other's have said you'd very well might need to drive the car further than centered between the trailer axles to keep enough weight on the tongue.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 07:25 PM   #12
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
Load should be forward on that type of trailer. Other styles allow for different load placements.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 04:37 PM   #13
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Thanks for the feedback. Really liked that video courtesy of Silversleeper!
Old 02-04-2021, 05:42 PM   #14
1911 1LE

Drives: 2015 SW 2SS 1LE
I load mine just like you have yours loaded, with the front of the rear fender well centered over the rear axle of the trailer. My trailer has a 20ft deck with an air dam and small toolbox up front (little more weight). Yours looks to be shorter, by looking at the front tie down points. I would take it for a ride and see how it handles and adjust if needed. Probably good as is. BTW a winch is a good investment for loading by yourself or if............ Good luck at your events
Maggie 2650 @ 18psi/ 75mm 10 rib/ Dual alky nozzles/ Roto-fab/ ARH 2" Lt's/ GT-12 cam/ ZL1 3.23 Conv./MGW/RPS triple carbon clutch/RSG tranny upgrage/Pedders Ex. XA w/ remote cans and a lot of other crap 897/8??@tires
1911 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote