Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 04-05-2013, 04:34 PM   #99
pumpkinrancho
COMPULSIVE CAMARO OWNER

Drives: 18 ZLE,14 2ssrs,96,73 RS LT,69&67
Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
Um no, not even close. Every day the number people pull out of their butt adds another $1k over the day before. Rotors can be had for close to 900, calipers 450. People are just incapable of using google and a parts fiche. Maybe if you want to pay MSRP and throw in a few thousand you can hit those numbers.
I think you are way low on this brake estimate. Even the cheapest Wilwood brakes are $999 and they are no where near this exotic. If as reported above the rotors are 1800 each thats $7200 in just rotors... Not to mention 4 six piston calipers. I think $10k is a fiar estimate. I just wish they had that option for my ZL1, I would have found a way to buy it.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:02 PM   #100
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Um no, not even close. Every day the number people pull out of their butt adds another $1k over the day before. Rotors can be had for close to 900, calipers 450. People are just incapable of using google and a parts fiche. Maybe if you want to pay MSRP and throw in a few thousand you can hit those numbers.
So you think the Z/28 is going to have basically the same braking system the other Camaros do except for a swap to carbon rotors and ordinary 6 piston calipers? I respectfully disagree.

I think this is an entirely custom system designed for and produced for the Z/28 specifically. I know when I'd looked at upgrading to a 6 piston Brembo system on my 2010 SS it was over $7k and that was not carbon. Even with the cost reductions of economy of scale I'm still thinking this system will be close to a $10k upgrade over the stock SS brakes. It's going to be more than just rotors and calipers.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:44 PM   #101
Synner

Drives: cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinrancho View Post
I think you are way low on this brake estimate. Even the cheapest Wilwood brakes are $999 and they are no where near this exotic. If as reported above the rotors are 1800 each thats $7200 in just rotors... Not to mention 4 six piston calipers. I think $10k is a fiar estimate. I just wish they had that option for my ZL1, I would have found a way to buy it.
I priced it out last week, I'm not estimating, you can believe it or not. The only question is if its unique part numbers with lower volumes than the corvette that drive up the price. It takes a year or two after the parts come out to find the deals I find but they're still there for people who know how to look.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:55 PM   #102
Synner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
So you think the Z/28 is going to have basically the same braking system the other Camaros do except for a swap to carbon rotors and ordinary 6 piston calipers? I respectfully disagree.

I think this is an entirely custom system designed for and produced for the Z/28 specifically. I know when I'd looked at upgrading to a 6 piston Brembo system on my 2010 SS it was over $7k and that was not carbon. Even with the cost reductions of economy of scale I'm still thinking this system will be close to a $10k upgrade over the stock SS brakes. It's going to be more than just rotors and calipers.
I was looking at carbon rotor/calipers/pads from a corvette, not the ctsv calipers that I have now. I know there will be other upgrades as well like brake ducting but thats not needed to make these work. The questions I've been trying to get answered are if its a unique hub to get the right caliper/rotor offset, unique caliper, and/or unique aluminum hat on the rotor to get the right offset. I would think they'd try to share as many corvette parts as possible to keep prices down but you never know on a car like this. Eventually I will have these brakes and aint no way I'm paying $10k

I got my complete 6 piston conversion for 1425 that people are paying a vendor on here 2400 for and call it a great deal. People are just scared to piece anything together and do their homework to get some part numbers. I'm sure if you buy a kit from a GM dealer you'll pay a price like $10k, doesn't mean I will as thats not how I'm getting the parts.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:43 PM   #103
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
I was looking at carbon rotor/calipers/pads from a corvette, not the ctsv calipers that I have now. I know there will be other upgrades as well like brake ducting but thats not needed to make these work. The questions I've been trying to get answered are if its a unique hub to get the right caliper/rotor offset, unique caliper, and/or unique aluminum hat on the rotor to get the right offset. I would think they'd try to share as many corvette parts as possible to keep prices down but you never know on a car like this. Eventually I will have these brakes and aint no way I'm paying $10k

I got my complete 6 piston conversion for 1425 that people are paying a vendor on here 2400 for and call it a great deal. People are just scared to piece anything together and do their homework to get some part numbers. I'm sure if you buy a kit from a GM dealer you'll pay a price like $10k, doesn't mean I will as thats not how I'm getting the parts.
Well that's the $64,000 question (perhaps literally in this case) as to whether this system is unique to the Z or cobbled together from the parts bin. With Stielow you can be sure he's putting together the system he knows will be needed on the track for homologation in racing classes. I doubt he'd be rummaging through the parts bin for "good enough". But then again it depends on how much freedom he had with this car; it sounds like he had a lot.

As you pointed out the offsets and mounting had to be extremely precise in order to fit 11" wide wheels in the front. I may be wrong but based on what I saw in photographs I'm betting this system is specific to the Z.

So what did you put together for $1,425? Care to share?

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:54 PM   #104
Synner

CTSV calipers, lines, hardware with ZL1 rotors and DTC-30 pads. Dual cast rotors would have been closer to 1200. To save a grand I'm happy to use a parts fiche and source from many places. For people who ask for a DIY on a CAI install they'd probably be better off getting the kit at that price. For items I need tech support I'm ok paying a more fair price, when I'm my own tech support I find cheap.

So far I know the front rotors are dimensionally the same, only question is the hat and hub. So pads could easily be the same as the vette, same for the caliper depending on how they dealt with offset. The rears appear to be a unique size versus the vette. Brakes pads may be unique as well at least in the rear.

The wheels have a ton of clearance because they're not worried about the concave I need a 3.5" lip crowd. Aint it grand when form follows function?

Current setup:
Old 04-06-2013, 06:18 PM   #105
Thrillz

Drives: 2019 Dodge Daytona R/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87GNX View Post
I mean it has the LS7 in it plus a radio, lighter, and all the creature comforts...true it costs more but ...no intention to make an argument. Just saying.
For me i'm not a vette guy. I think they look fantastic and all but i like muscle cars much better over sports cars.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:55 PM   #106
SMN2011Z28
Always a work in progress

Drives: 2014 RRM SS RS 1LE
This is a FWIW post since I have owned both the Z06 and the Camaro SS and I don't think it's really fair to compare them but....

To me the Z06 and the Z28 will be similar beasts. The Z06 is a rough car, yeah it has radio and a/c etc but it's by no means a luxury car, unless......you are running about 130 around a track or hitting some twisties. The Z28 will be the same, may be a rough daily driver but the true joy will come when you have that thing doing what it's built to do.

The Z06 is impractical for daily use but it's soooooo much fun!!!! Torque is where it's at!!!
Z/28...maybe not as impractical because it has a back seat, but still soooooo much fun. How great will that back seat be when it's 95 degrees with 100% humidity? 2/80 A/c won't cut it.

Just my .02
SMN2011Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:17 PM   #107
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Drives: Sharkskin Grey LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by malave7567 View Post
some people like Camaro's better than Corvette's. As simple as that. Also, a Z06 starts at 76k MSRP. My guess on the Z/28 will be less than what the ZL1 costs because of the lack of all the creature comforts.
I'm agreeing with you...the Z28 will be less than the base price of a ZL1! However, there are thousands of low mileage Z06s that will run rings around the Z28 that can be had for less money than a new Z28.

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M, 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto 2017 HBM 1SS 1le
2002 C5 Corvette 6M 2018 2SS
2006 Corvette Auto 2023 Camaro LT1
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:38 PM   #108
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisTNDude View Post
I'm agreeing with you...the Z28 will be less than the base price of a ZL1! However, there are thousands of low mileage Z06s that will run rings around the Z28 that can be had for less money than a new Z28.
You do realize gm already said it will be the most expensive camaro offered, slotted above the ZL1? Straight from the horses mouth, it's going to cost more than a zl1
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:50 PM   #109
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Drives: Sharkskin Grey LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
You do realize gm already said it will be the most expensive camaro offered, slotted above the ZL1? Straight from the horses mouth, it's going to cost more than a zl1
I guess I missed that comment. Do you have a link for that?

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M, 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto 2017 HBM 1SS 1le
2002 C5 Corvette 6M 2018 2SS
2006 Corvette Auto 2023 Camaro LT1
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:52 PM   #110
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisTNDude View Post
I guess I missed that comment. Do you have a link for that?
http://www.mlive.com/auto/index.ssf/..._river_default

"In fact, it’s most likely not practical for many U.S. consumers. But this car isn't for those people, said General Motors Co. North America President Mark Reuss. "

"GM did not announce pricing, but Reuss said it will be the most expensive Camaro offered. The Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 – the brand’s current most expensive Camaro -- starts at about $55,000."

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285591

from Post #23
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote