Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 04-21-2024, 01:12 PM   #1
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Need some new rubber!

Hey guys, I think it's time to replace my current tires (Michelin Pilot Super Sports). They don't have a ton of miles on them, but they are over 10 years old. I'm thinking of trying something different since these tires don't provide an amount of traction I'm comfortable with. I'm not sure ANY tire will, but I'm open to suggestions. My current setup is putting down about 600 rwhp.

I don't really go to the track anymore, so just looking for something that will work well for street driving (mostly summer and some rain, but no snow). My current tire sizes are:

Front 275/35/20
Rear 295/35/20

Wheels (Forgestar F14)

Front 20 x 10
Rear 20 x 11

So, what do y'all think? My main concern is keeping the ass end from breaking loose during "vigorous" starts. Not sure if I can go even wider in the rear with my current rims? I don't care if the tires stick out a bit. Thanks for any advice!!

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 01:15 PM   #2
FASTFATBOY

Drives: 2013 ZL1
These, in 80 degree air they dead hook from a 1st gear roll with 600 wheel and turn very very well

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/bfgoo...omp-2-a-s-plus
Old 04-21-2024, 04:11 PM   #3
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY View Post
These, in 80 degree air they dead hook from a 1st gear roll with 600 wheel and turn very very well

I’ll second these. Have had them on a couple years now and they are wearing well.
Old 04-21-2024, 05:56 PM   #4
E.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0stones0 View Post
I’ll second these. Have had them on a couple years now and they are wearing well.

Thanks, guys. I see they are all seasons (as opposed to summer tires). Does that matter? It sounds like the hook up well, which is really what matters to me

Old 04-21-2024, 05:58 PM   #5
E.T.

P.S. Website is saying they don't come in 295/35 20 =(

Old 04-22-2024, 02:16 AM   #6
chevy pilot

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
I see they are all seasons (as opposed to summer tires). Does that matter?
Summer tires has always better grip and accuracy.
chevy pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 10:08 AM   #7
E.T.

So, I think I'm gonna go up to 315s (from 295) in the back. Wondering if I should keep my current 275 size up front?

Thanks for the tire suggestions! Besides what was mentioned, I've heard good things about the Michelin PS 4S, Firestone Indy 500s, Goodyear G3, and a few others. It's a tough call.

A straight up DR is also an option, but I do drive when it's wet occasionally, so those might not be the best idea....

Old 04-24-2024, 08:37 AM   #8
trashbasket

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
So, I think I'm gonna go up to 315s (from 295) in the back. Wondering if I should keep my current 275 size up front?

Thanks for the tire suggestions! Besides what was mentioned, I've heard good things about the Michelin PS 4S, Firestone Indy 500s, Goodyear G3, and a few others. It's a tough call.

A straight up DR is also an option, but I do drive when it's wet occasionally, so those might not be the best idea....

Def do 315 in the back. I run 275 up front as well. As far as tire I recommend Conti ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus. I ran these at 650whp and they performed very well. I'm pretty sure I cut a low 7 60-130mph on these(I can't remember). So they hook well for a street tire and not scary in the rain like a DR. They also last quite a while. I'm actually still running them up front. If you go DR do the MT Street S/S, but if its real wet outside, take another car or pull over with any DR. Hydroplaned a vette on interstate doing a lane change on those once.
Old 04-24-2024, 09:58 AM   #9
The_bald_eagle_machine
Anthony S

Drives: 2011 chevrolet camaro 2ss/rs
I run 315's in the rear and 245s in the front. I tried 275's in the front, but I had rubbing issues with my wheel and tire setup. I run the Continental extreme contact tires and I have a hard time spinning the tires with 530rwhp unless i absolutely dump the clutch. Very grippy tire, easy to balance, and tread life seems really good. I live in Florida so they see plenty of hot roads here.

I buy my tires from Tireagent.com and they have great service and alot of options.

Mods: Texas Speed 2 inch headers, high flow cats, and X-pipe. Custom mid-pipe, Borla Xr1 mufflers. Torqstorm Supercharger, 3.1" pulley, ZL1 fuel pump. MGW Shifter, Mcleod RST clutch, Tick master cylinder and Tick Billet bushing reinforced slave cylinder. DSS One-piece 3.5" Driveshaft, Metco Driveshaft safety loop, BCRacing Coilovers. BMR Poly Diff bushings, Poly Rear cradle bushings, Sub-frame connectors, Lower control arms, camber arms, and toe links.
The_bald_eagle_machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 12:01 PM   #10
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by trashbasket View Post
Def do 315 in the back. I run 275 up front as well. As far as tire I recommend Conti ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus. I ran these at 650whp and they performed very well. I'm pretty sure I cut a low 7 60-130mph on these(I can't remember). So they hook well for a street tire and not scary in the rain like a DR. They also last quite a while. I'm actually still running them up front. If you go DR do the MT Street S/S, but if its real wet outside, take another car or pull over with any DR. Hydroplaned a vette on interstate doing a lane change on those once.
I am currently running these on the front and love them!! Very nice ride, grip and wear. The tire has a very bold/ aggressive tread pattern much like the Michelin's I have on the back, but I couldn't run them on the rear because they didn't make them in the 335/30 I am running now on the 11.5 wide wheels.
Old 04-24-2024, 12:06 PM   #11
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bald_eagle_machine View Post
I run 315's in the rear and 245s in the front. I tried 275's in the front, but I had rubbing issues with my wheel and tire setup. I run the Continental extreme contact tires and I have a hard time spinning the tires with 530rwhp unless i absolutely dump the clutch. Very grippy tire, easy to balance, and tread life seems really good. I live in Florida so they see plenty of hot roads here.

I buy my tires from Tireagent.com and they have great service and alot of options.
How low are you lowered? When I had the 275/40's on my fronts on the 10 wide wheels, I had a rubbing issue on the drivers side, it would hit whenever I hit a decent dip on the road, of a deep rain gutter on a turn off road on a right turn, it would cut the tire at the outer tread block. I went to a 285/35 and never had that issues again, and I'm currently running them on my 10.5 wide wheels and no issues. I'm lowered 1.25 on Pfadt springs.
Old 04-24-2024, 01:53 PM   #12
The_bald_eagle_machine
Anthony S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
How low are you lowered? When I had the 275/40's on my fronts on the 10 wide wheels, I had a rubbing issue on the drivers side, it would hit whenever I hit a decent dip on the road, of a deep rain gutter on a turn off road on a right turn, it would cut the tire at the outer tread block. I went to a 285/35 and never had that issues again, and I'm currently running them on my 10.5 wide wheels and no issues. I'm lowered 1.25 on Pfadt springs.
To be honest, I am not 100% sure how low i went compared to stock. I went from stock, to Eibach, and then switched to the BCRacing coilovers. I installed them out of the box from phastek.

I had the same issue you mentioned, rubbing and cutting of the driver side tire. I switched back to a 245 and never had the issue again. Ashen and I blame it on the chips. Gotta stop eating those damn chips. If i road coursed/ auto-x the car... I would have tried harder to keep the 275 front tire. I just street drive my car, so the narrower tire suits me fine. I might look into buying larger tires in the front, the next time I need new tires. Trying to be very budget conscious right now. Money is tight.

Mods: Texas Speed 2 inch headers, high flow cats, and X-pipe. Custom mid-pipe, Borla Xr1 mufflers. Torqstorm Supercharger, 3.1" pulley, ZL1 fuel pump. MGW Shifter, Mcleod RST clutch, Tick master cylinder and Tick Billet bushing reinforced slave cylinder. DSS One-piece 3.5" Driveshaft, Metco Driveshaft safety loop, BCRacing Coilovers. BMR Poly Diff bushings, Poly Rear cradle bushings, Sub-frame connectors, Lower control arms, camber arms, and toe links.
Old 04-24-2024, 01:59 PM   #13
The_bald_eagle_machine
Anthony S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
I am currently running these on the front and love them!! Very nice ride, grip and wear. The tire has a very bold/ aggressive tread pattern much like the Michelin's I have on the back, but I couldn't run them on the rear because they didn't make them in the 335/30 I am running now on the 11.5 wide wheels.
This is the same tire that i am running as well. Just doubled checked. Great tire and fairly budget safe compared to the Michelin's and Nittos.

Old 04-24-2024, 04:17 PM   #14
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
If you want tires that are going to hook with 600+rwhp in 1st gear you need either the Toyo R888R or a radial.

My car makes a smidge over 800 and I'll blow the tires off as soon as boost hits in 2nd. 1st gear is uselss. I have MP4S on 285. I do think MP4S in 315 would probably be pretty good but not what im looking for. My next rear tire will be the Mickey Street SS in 305.