Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-11-2009, 10:05 PM   #1
camarossrs2150

Drives: abm2ssrs
very light scratch in clear coat .help

i have a very fine line scratch in the clear coat . can not scratch my finger nail threw it so i no its not in the paint how can i get it out myself with out fu#king it up . i know wait till monday and bring it to somebody that knows what they are doing . but i cant keep bringing it there every time i see a scratch . i would like to do it myself . some people say use the clay bar . i dont know . im pretty good fixing things . just need directions . i need help body shop is closed .
Old 07-11-2009, 10:08 PM   #2
Speedfreak

Drives: 1999 30th Anniversary Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarossrs2150 View Post
i have a very fine line scratch in the clear coat . can not scratch my finger nail threw it so i no its not in the paint how can i get it out myself with out fu#king it up . i know wait till monday and bring it to somebody that knows what they are doing . but i cant keep bringing it there every time i see a scratch . i would like to do it myself . some people say use the clay bar . i dont know . im pretty good fixing things . just need directions . i need help body shop is closed .
A clay bar Z-5? or if you got the balls wet sand it
Speedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 10:15 PM   #3
camarossrs2150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedfreak View Post
A clay bar Z-5? or if you got the balls wet sand it
i got balls but . but but but
Old 07-11-2009, 10:23 PM   #4
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Do the bar for now. If your still not happy then go from there. But these things just give a little flavor don't let it stress you so much.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 10:39 PM   #5
RobertHarriSS

Drives: 2SS/RS M6
http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...oduct_Count=21

I had the same problem and the Z-PC took it out.
RobertHarriSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 11:04 PM   #6
BrianGriffin78

Drives: 2009 GMC Yukon
Quote:
I have some light scratches also. It's going to happen to everyone it is impossible not to get them once and awhile. I've learned the hard way to not apply detailer spray to a dry car that has not been either rinsed or fully dusted off. Even though the scratches are so minor and you really have to look to see I know they are there. I even got a tiny chip in the paint from a pepple. Ordered a touch up kit and my body shop guy is going to touch it up with the ABM paint and Clear coat.

Anyway, I would take it to a full detailing place so they can buff it out and smooth it over. When it comes to the abrasive stuff I'd rather have a pro do it. When it comes to washing and just applying detailer spray, I can handle that myself.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:54 AM   #7
sav1

Drives: 2009 Corvette Z06
ya man I'm sure clay bar won't work, as I have a nice new scratch on my read deck. Going to take it to a pro, and buff that out.
sav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 06:55 AM   #8
PsyDoc

Drives: Soon-to-be 1st Gen
A clay bar only removes contamination stuck to the paint; it will not remove scratches. If the scratch is very light, then start conservatively and find a polish that removes fine swirls and is clear coat safe. If your nail will not catch the scratch, then this option with a little elbow grease will take care of it. For some reason, if that does not do it, then move up to a product like Meguiar's Scratch-X. If Scratch-X does not remove it, then I'd find a reputable detail guy in your area and he can take care of it.
PsyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:00 PM   #9
camarossrs2150

is it possible that it can be a stress crack under the clear . there is no way it got scratched .i never took my eye off the car .when i got home it was parked in drive way and nobody went near it . i taught i read on here that someone else had a problem with the same thing . maybe im just pissed off i
Old 07-12-2009, 12:18 PM   #10
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
Bro take it easy. Your going to give yourself an ulcer..
Old 07-12-2009, 01:13 PM   #11
PsyDoc

Drives: Soon-to-be 1st Gen
Quote:
is it possible that it can be a stress crack under the clear . there is no way it got scratched .i never took my eye off the car .when i got home it was parked in drive way and nobody went near it . i taught i read on here that someone else had a problem with the same thing . maybe im just pissed off i
You are about as OCD as I am Anyway, how do you know that there is no way it got scratched? Did the dealership PDI the car? If so, they likely used a glaze on the car to make it nice and "perfect" as using a glaze will hide those tiny scratches you can see at certain angles, but are impossible to feel with your fingernail. After the first wash...ta-da...they become visible. You do realize that just having air rushing over your car will cause scratches as air has plenty of little dust/dirt particles. Also, even if you use the "two bucket" method to wash your car you will eventually cause a few as well leading to "spider webbing." All you can do is try to minimize the scratches. If you want to know whether it's under the clear or not, then go get a swirl remover polish that is clear coat safe and find out. I use Meguiar's products and I believe it's less than $5 for a bottle. If it is under the clear, then you will likely have to have that area repainted.
PsyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 02:51 PM   #12
camarossrs2150

we are taking it to body shop to be buffed by a pro .ive seen this before on my vet and cant be bothered .i was drinking last night and it seemed a little worse .it definitly needs to be very fine sanded and glazed over .over reacted i guess .but i guess its part of having the hottest car on the road .also im selling it after the summer and want it perfect for the next guy .
Old 07-12-2009, 04:07 PM   #13
Bbrock25

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS Inferno Orange
Actually 3M makes a great rubbing compound for stuff like this. Actually had a few scratches on my truck (dark blue) that was threw to the paint, and it lightened them up a lot. Barley can see them, won't even noticed them if you didn't know it was there.

3M Perfect-It II, it works really well. And a product a lot of body shops use, as well as the dealers detailing facility. Its by Crest. Hi-Solv.

Edit: The Hi-Solv is more for removing scuffs. Plastic rubbed the paint etc. not sure it works on scratches.

Last edited by Bbrock25; 07-12-2009 at 04:38 PM.
Bbrock25 is offline   Reply With Quote