Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 01-28-2018, 12:00 AM   #15
Parts Peddler

Drives: 2014 1LT/RS
I, too, have this issue occasionally. I couple squeezes of the trigger is all it takes, and the key releases. Annoying, but not a deal breaker. I still love my Camaro.
Parts Peddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:31 PM   #16
bamaboss08

Drives: 2015 RS Chevy Camaro
Any word from GM/Chevy?

Hi Guys!

Was wondering if anyone knew if Chevy has any recalls for this issue since it seems to be happening to me as well. I have an 2015 Chevy Camaro RS and this issue has been ongoing for about a year know.

I usually just do what other posters mentioned wiggling the key or turning the steering wheel until it's unlocked but it gets kinda of frustrating especially when you need to rush out the car but have to do this routine with the key for it to release.
bamaboss08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 12:53 PM   #17
Baldman
EMERALD COAST CAMAROS

Drives: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboss08 View Post
Hi Guys!

Was wondering if anyone knew if Chevy has any recalls for this issue since it seems to be happening to me as well. I have an 2015 Chevy Camaro RS and this issue has been ongoing for about a year know.

I usually just do what other posters mentioned wiggling the key or turning the steering wheel until it's unlocked but it gets kinda of frustrating especially when you need to rush out the car but have to do this routine with the key for it to release.
You still have a warranty don't you? Take it to the dealer.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:52 PM   #18
Soyuz100

Drives: Chevy Truck
This problem is most likely caused by the shifter linkage being set "too tight". I am putting the 6L80E into my truck, using the stock Camaro floor shifter. When I set the linkage too tight, the shifter does not move forward enough to allow the shifter detent lock to completely engage the limit switch in the parking detent slot. This limit switch is what activates the lock in the steering column to release the key. If the shifter detent lock does not close the park position limit switch, the key can not be removed from the cylinder.

To fix this, go under the car and re-adjust the shifter rod into the arm of the floor shifter. The procedure is to put the shifter / transmission into park. Under the car, loosen the retainer bolt where the shifter rod engages the floor shifter so the rod slides free. Now, pull the trans lever rearward (but do this very lightly), then tighten the retainer bolt.

The problem is caused when too much rearward force is applied to the trans shifter arm (or the floor shifter arm is pushed towards the front of the vehicle) before tightening the retainer bolt. If this happens, there is not enough slack in the linkage to allow the shifter to move fully into the park position, especially when everything is very cold.
Soyuz100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 04:03 PM   #19
Qliver

Drives: 2014 2LT RS
I'm not able to go under the car, I was hoping it could be solved by opening up the shifter assembly.

I've seen some posts about disconnecting that key lock circuit to prevent this from happening, I think I might try this solution. Is there anything I should take into consideration before doing it?

The reason for it being there is to prevent the key from sliding out and locking the steering wheel while driving, isn't it?
Qliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 11:18 PM   #20
havelegs

Drives: '23 LT1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qliver View Post
I'm not able to go under the car, I was hoping it could be solved by opening up the shifter assembly.

I've seen some posts about disconnecting that key lock circuit to prevent this from happening, I think I might try this solution. Is there anything I should take into consideration before doing it?

The reason for it being there is to prevent the key from sliding out and locking the steering wheel while driving, isn't it?
When the key gets stuck, I press the shifter button a few times while it is in park. Then, I hear a click sound from the steering column and that allows me to release the key. This seems to work for me, while it's not a fix it is a workaround that works.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:37 PM   #21
havelegs

Drives: '23 LT1 A10
Does anyone know if it's the shifter handle or the entire gear shift assembly that is the issue?
Old 01-04-2019, 06:10 PM   #22
Zezima

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT/RS
I know i'm late but if anyone is still having this problem, just take the steering under cover off (you dont have to remove the top one) locate the plunger behind the turn key and pull it off. You will be able to pull your key whenever you want, even if you were driving you could pull the key out. Anyways its an easy fix and takes like 5 minutes
Zezima is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gear shift knob, ignition, key stuck