Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 09-17-2018, 02:44 PM   #1
Sal L

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Adding back up bumper sensors

So after a small incident that results in me buying a new bumper. Im just wondering if there is a way to add back up sensors to a Camaro that originally did not come with reverse sensors. Ive been doing some research and I know that im going to need the new bumper, the harness, and the sensors. If it is possible, is this something I could do at home or will I need to take my car to a shop/dealership? Thanks for your time.
Sal L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 03:51 PM   #2
rshelar

Drives: 2017 1SS auto vert Nightfall Gray
I would say that a good body shop could tell you. I love the sensors and camera on my 2015 2SS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rshelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 03:53 PM   #3
Rainbow1616

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS/RS
Easier and cheaper to buy a license plate camera that have the backup sensors built in. Then you will have both.
Rainbow1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 04:23 PM   #4
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow1616 View Post
Easier and cheaper to buy a license plate camera that have the backup sensors built in. Then you will have both.
The bumper sensors are in the corners as well as in the middle and are very sensitive to peripheral objects.

But, by the way, do you have an add-on camera? If so, which one?

I've been thinking about one for my 2010. It's a late build 2010 with the sensors, but I would really like to have a camera, too. My daily driver has a camera, and the the lack of one in the Camaro is scaring me.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 04:37 PM   #5
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
I find the back up camera useful for parallel parking or when backing into a parking spot, especially into a wall. Other than that, I don't look at it very much.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 06:01 PM   #6
Sal L

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Thanks to everyone that replied. I am also planning to getting a touchscreen with a back up camera later down the road. Should I just get a regular bumper and wait till I get the back up camera? I'm just interested because I need to buy a new bumper anyway and the one with the sensor holes is just 3 dollars more, I've found some pretty good deals on the sensors themselves but the harness is $80-$90 plus installation(if needed).
Sal L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 07:07 PM   #7
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
I'd wait. My 2011 has back up sensors and I recently added an aftermarket radio with backup camera. The camera is night and day better than the sensors.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:55 AM   #8
Rainbow1616

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
The bumper sensors are in the corners as well as in the middle and are very sensitive to peripheral objects.

But, by the way, do you have an add-on camera? If so, which one?

I've been thinking about one for my 2010. It's a late build 2010 with the sensors, but I would really like to have a camera, too. My daily driver has a camera, and the the lack of one in the Camaro is scaring me.

I do have an add on camera that displays on the My Link.
It is a license plate camera and I actually bought a second one because I like it so much and didn't want to have to worry if it ever went bad. ( I didn't want to drill any holes)
I don't recall the exact model but it is made by Vision Tech America. They make with and without the backup sensors, I do not have the sensors in my camera because I do have them in the bumper.

I did put one on my older Silverado however and it has the backup sensors as well. Great for parking and while not as good for full coverage they do have two angled sensors that take care of the outer corners and two straight ones that take care of the middle.
Rainbow1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:12 AM   #9
Eric Baker

Drives: Black/Black 2SS/RS 6M
You can always get aftermarket back up sensors installed, they're pricy, but not crazy. Just make sure to use a good shop to do it at, it would be a car stereo type shop. But I don't know if they'd be able to use the factory holes, so if you were going that route, I'd get the regular bumper.
Eric Baker is offline   Reply With Quote