Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 07-17-2014, 04:09 PM   #57
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWood-SS View Post
performance wise, no. Premium gas IS and always will be better for the overall lifetime of an engine IMO. Especially if where you're at its like here where the premium gas has no ethanol as opposed to the regular that does.
Is that a personal opinion unsupported by facts, or is there compelling evidence that supports your opinion?
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 04:53 PM   #58
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
First, you already asked this question and got all the answers you really need.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=364875
Nice catch, Gretchen. Also notice in the other thread he/she/it never replied to any of the posts. Hasn't here either. Asshat!
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:56 PM   #59
trcsr

Drives: 2018 2LT/RS Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmginc View Post
11.5:1 is not low compression. Yes it makes a difference.

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Tapatalk 2
Where do you get the information that the V6 has 11.5:1 compression? I have looked through the Owner's Manual the Helm's Service Manuals, in the 2013 advertising brochure, and the Window Sticker and have found no information on that. I assumed that it is a low compression engine because:

1. It is spec'd to use 87 octane gas.
2. When I downshift the compression braking is almost non-existent. With my Miata, downshifting would push you against the seat belt like you had hit the brakes. Consequently, the paddle shifters are of very limited usefulness.
3. Many vehicles that I have seen that have high compression engines have a tag that says something like "Premium Fuel Recommended".

I would really like to have more technical information on the engine, but don't know where to find it.

Sorry to waste your time; I should have used the search function, but got as many contradictive answers after looking at some of them as I got this time. So, who do I believe?
trcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:01 PM   #60
Au201

Drives: Black V6 auto 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by trcsr View Post
Where do you get the information that the V6 has 11.5:1 compression? I have looked through the Owner's Manual the Helm's Service Manuals, in the 2013 advertising brochure, and the Window Sticker and have found no information on that. I assumed that it is a low compression engine because:

2. When I downshift the compression braking is almost non-existent. With my Miata, downshifting would push you against the seat belt like you had hit the brakes. Consequently, the paddle shifters are of very limited usefulness.
3. Many vehicles that I have seen that have high compression engines have a tag that says something like "Premium Fuel Recommended".

I would really like to have more technical information on the engine, but don't know where to find it.

Sorry to waste your time; I should have used the search function, but got as many contradictive answers after looking at some of them as I got this time. So, who do I believe?

11.5:1 is correct. Don't have time to find a link. But I have seen it before. Also, engine braking doesn't "feel" strong because the paddle shifters rev match downshifts to make then smoother and not "push you against the seat belt." Try this...in a parking lot or something, take M1 up to about 3500-4000 rpm and let off the gas. You'll feel that compression right quick! Lol.

Sent from my bragging iPhone using an app that encourages it.
Au201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:29 AM   #61
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Quote:

The higher compression in the V6 is compatible with lower octane fuel because it's a direct injection engine. Thanks to DI and systems like knock detection/retard and timing adjustments, 87 octane is ok, but not ideal.
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:15 AM   #62
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
Nice catch, Gretchen. Also notice in the other thread he/she/it never replied to any of the posts. Hasn't here either. Asshat!
And now they are merged. I wonder if he/she will visit now?
Old 07-18-2014, 11:20 AM   #63
GretchenGotGrowl

Quote:

Here are just a couple

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General...Feature_engine

http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-engines/lfx/

And you can find plenty more by doing a search...like

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...pression+ratio
Old 07-19-2014, 06:01 PM   #64
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
Quote:
First, you already asked this question and got all the answers you really need.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=364875

Second, if the LFX V6 is a low compression engine () then your Miata had no compression.
If only I had found this thread sooner!
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:09 PM   #65
trcsr

Drives: 2018 2LT/RS Conv
Smile

Quote:
Thank you for those references. I found a lot of useful information there. However, I don't understand your reasoning for making this comment;

"Second, if the LFX V6 is a low compression engine () then your Miata had no compression."

The Miata specified Premium was recommended due to the high compression. I disagree with the poster who suggested that I get up to 3500 RPM in M1 and let off the gas to prove that it is high compression. With the Miata I could be doing 50 mph, downshift one gear and feel the effect; I don't get that effect with the Camaro until I downshift in to M2 at about 2000 - 2500 RPM. That is why I said that the paddle shifters are not very useful for compression braking. Going back a few years I had a '60 Austin Healy that would throw me to the windshield if went from 4th to 3rd at 50 MPH (I don't remember the RPM's at the time as that was quite a few years ago).
trcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:27 PM   #66
GretchenGotGrowl

Quote:
Thank you for those references. I found a lot of useful information there. However, I don't understand your reasoning for making this comment;

"Second, if the LFX V6 is a low compression engine () then your Miata had no compression."

The Miata specified Premium was recommended due to the high compression. I disagree with the poster who suggested that I get up to 3500 RPM in M1 and let off the gas to prove that it is high compression. With the Miata I could be doing 50 mph, downshift one gear and feel the effect; I don't get that effect with the Camaro until I downshift in to M2 at about 2000 - 2500 RPM. That is why I said that the paddle shifters are not very useful for compression braking. Going back a few years I had a '60 Austin Healy that would throw me to the windshield if went from 4th to 3rd at 50 MPH (I don't remember the RPM's at the time as that was quite a few years ago).
I said that because the highest CR in any Miata is 9.5:1, which is a LOT less than 11.5:1.

I have 4000 stall and I engine brake in mine all the time.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:59 PM   #67
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
Quote:

Miatas also weigh, what, over 1000lbs less than our cars? A better comparison would be a Honda Civic Si or something. Lol. The V6 Camaros aren't tuned for 93 from the factory because they're supposed to be the more economical version of the car - the SS and all other models require 91 for maximum power. On that note, our cars can be tuned for 91 or 93 specifically and gain 10-20hp to the wheels, all else equal (so to the crank, say, around 350hp instead of the factory 323). But the only reason our car runs on 87 is because of the technology behind the engine - VVT and knock sensors plus the direct injection system allow 87 to run safely (and on 87 the engine does retard the timing, which lessens the maximum possible power).
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote