Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-15-2020, 02:42 PM   #1
Bigtime53

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Cradle Bushings---Pic of alignment numbers added page 2

Has anyone had a issue with these? I noticed my car was moving in the rear under acceleration so I installed the new solid control arms on the top and bottom. They have the polyurethane bushings in them from BMR. I was told I did not have to have the car realigned but it drove funny after the install so I did. After I had that done I drove the car and I was driving at 65mph and floored it and when it went into passing gear it made a hard right and then when I let off the gas back to the left it went and back to the right. It almost put me in the ditch plus scared the crap out of me. Now I am told I need the cradle bushings to stop this so I have ordered those. Have any of you had this happen to you? My car has 23k miles on it and I would not think it would need all of these parts to get it right. I have read that this is the first thing everyone should do when they buy these cars because of so much movement of the rear axle housing. Have any of you changed these? By the way my car is stock and not modified any. Thanks

Last edited by Bigtime53; 05-20-2020 at 06:39 PM.
Bigtime53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 02:52 PM   #2
George-CZ

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3 and 1978 STROKER 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime53 View Post
Has anyone had a issue with these? I noticed my car was moving in the rear under acceleration so I installed the new solid control arms on the top and bottom. They have the polyurethane bushings in them from BMR. I was told I did not have to have the car realigned but it drove funny after the install so I did. After I had that done I drove the car and I was driving at 65mph and floored it and when it went into passing gear it made a hard right and then when I let off the gas back to the left it went and back to the right. It almost put me in the ditch plus scared the crap out of me. Now I am told I need the cradle bushings to stop this so I have ordered those. Have any of you had this happen to you? My car has 23k miles on it and I would not think it would need all of these parts to get it right. I have read that this is the first thing everyone should do when they buy these cars because of so much movement of the rear axle housing. Have any of you changed these? By the way my car is stock and not modified any. Thanks
After changing the arms ... Did you have the geometry settings checked?
George-CZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 04:25 PM   #3
Bigtime53

Quote:
Originally Posted by George-CZ View Post
After changing the arms ... Did you have the
geometry settings checked?

Shouldn't the alignment guy done that? Please explain
Old 05-15-2020, 05:10 PM   #4
George-CZ

Quote:
Shouldn't the alignment guy done that? Please explain
I did the same operation a few weeks ago.

It is not just possible to mark the starting position on the eccentric pad.
It is necessary to place the car on a stool and refocus the geometry.

The back of the car danced on the road.
I exchanged toe rords and trailing arms, reset the geometry and everything was fine. The car is much better than before.

Old 05-15-2020, 05:41 PM   #5
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
There isn't anything 'wrong' with the ZL1 suspension, but it could be better...

Here is an example of the stock bushings vs upgraded solids.

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 08:08 PM   #6
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
The stock ZL1 suspension is too soft imo. I've used a combo of Z/28 and aftermarket parts to dial it in to my taste, but the most effective suspension mod was installing solid cradle bushings. Definitely worth and it wasn't that bad of an install.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 09:49 AM   #7
Bigtime53

Quote:
Originally Posted by George-CZ View Post
I did the same operation a few weeks ago.

It is not just possible to mark the starting position on the eccentric pad.
It is necessary to place the car on a stool and refocus the geometry.

The back of the car danced on the road.
I exchanged toe rords and trailing arms, reset the geometry and everything was fine. The car is much better than before.

So these pics you put up will work on a 15 ZL1? It says 2010 SS so I just want to make sure. Just so I understand should I take it back to the alignment guy and show him these illustrations and have him redo or set to these? I wish that was in english! Thanks
Old 05-16-2020, 10:53 AM   #8
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
So these pics you put up will work on a 15 ZL1? It says 2010 SS so I just want to make sure. Just so I understand should I take it back to the alignment guy and show him these illustrations and have him redo or set to these? I wish that was in english! Thanks

NO, if you are a coupe you are FE5.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 03:08 PM   #9
Bigtime53

So i need some input what do I need to get this back right. I guess I could take it to a dealer and they should know how to get it right correct? I do not know if a regular shop will know how to set it up correct since that is what I have already done and it sure is not right now.
Old 05-16-2020, 03:26 PM   #10
George-CZ

Quote:
So i need some input what do I need to get this back right. I guess I could take it to a dealer and they should know how to get it right correct? I do not know if a regular shop will know how to set it up correct since that is what I have already done and it sure is not right now.
Don't be afraid of anything.

Each service representative with a geometric stool will have ZL1 in the database.

The point is to see that even after marking the starting position of the adjusting washers, it is not certain that the geometry is as it should be.

I think that after the right setting, your Camaro will be fine again.
Old 05-16-2020, 08:06 PM   #11
Bigtime53

The shop I took it to to get it aligned at showed me his computer screen that he went off of and it had 2012-2015 ZL1 Camaro stats and he said he went off of that to align it. He also told me they just had someone with the company that sold them the rack come by and put the latest programs in it. If that is the case they either did not know what the heck they put in the computer or the front end guy did not know how to do it. I will get to the bottom of it starting monday and I will post what it took to get it correct. Thanks for help guys.
Old 05-17-2020, 05:42 PM   #12
Vicster
1000hp is NEVER Enough!

Drives: 13' ZL1
Wink Hello

I replaced components it the front and rear suspension. I took it to a shop that would set it the way I wanted it set, within GM specs is not good enough, there is to much variance allowed.
Here are my specs;
FRONT:
CAMBER (DEG) -1.2
CASTER (DEG) 7.5
TOTAL TOE 1/16" (0.17*) (1/32” PER WHEEL)

REAR:
CAMBER (DEG) -1.0

Here are some pics and a good spreadsheet of alignment specs.

Parts listed in my build journal.
Attached Images

Vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 08:32 PM   #13
Bigtime53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicster View Post
I replaced components it the front and rear suspension. I took it to a shop that would set it the way I wanted it set, within GM specs is not good enough, there is to much variance allowed.
Here are my specs;
FRONT:
CAMBER (DEG) -1.2
CASTER (DEG) 7.5

REAR:
CAMBER (DEG) -1.0

Here are some pics and a good spreadsheet of alignment specs.

Parts listed in my build journal.
Thank you for that.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:36 PM   #14
yellow69z28rs

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertible Black
Send a message via AIM to yellow69z28rs
Quote:

Same exact issues!

Rag Top Rob
yellow69z28rs is offline   Reply With Quote