Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 10-11-2009, 05:03 AM   #1
FwyFlyer

Drives: 2010 SS/RS
Clay Bar question

Well my SS/RS should be here some time this week. According to CSX, the train car is now empty and has been "released to the customer".
I am having stripes painted on at the dealer. My question is this: should I take the car home for a wash and clay bar before the stripes are done or just let the dealer keep it and trust that the prep for the stripes will alleviate needing to do the clay bar to those surfaces? I have waited 4 months now for the car, leaving it at the dealer for another week won't kill me, but driving it for a short time then giving it back to them for more than a week just might! Well, what do you think?
FwyFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 06:59 AM   #2
HeavyD

Drives: 1SSRS RY L99
If they are painting, they should be sanding it down anyway, so clay barring would be pointless.
HeavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:34 PM   #3
Sher525
CAMAROLIOUS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Why do you/would you need to use a clay bar on a new car? I thought a clay bar was for older cars with paint problems/issues?
Sher525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:12 PM   #4
Chris@glimmerglass

Drives: 2001 S10, 2002 M3
Send a message via AIM to Chris@glimmerglass
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sher525 View Post
Why do you/would you need to use a clay bar on a new car? I thought a clay bar was for older cars with paint problems/issues?
Believe it or not, new cars can pick up a lot of contamination in transit and while waiting on the lot. Its not necessarily a bad idea to run at least an extra light clay bar over the surface. Not that all new cars need it, but I've certainly done my fair share of "new car preps" and the clay definitely picked up some fallout.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:19 PM   #5
PsyDoc

Drives: Soon-to-be 1st Gen
Yes, Chris is right. New cars have lots of contaminants stuck to them...typically in the form of rail dust. As a test, after you have washed your car, put your hand in a ziploc bag and slide it over your paint. You will be able to feel every little contaminant stuck to the paint. A clay bar will "pluck out" these contaminants and you can lay down a nice smooth as silk wax job.

Here is a good instructional video.

PsyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:17 PM   #6
Sher525
CAMAROLIOUS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Thanks for the info. Is it a hard job to do, is there any chance of making a mess out of your car? I would like to do this to my sons car (2008 Infiniti) but don't want to screw it up.
Sher525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:34 PM   #7
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Quote:
Thanks for the info. Is it a hard job to do, is there any chance of making a mess out of your car? I would like to do this to my sons car (2008 Infiniti) but don't want to screw it up.
If you follow the instructions and take your time, claying a vehicle is safe and easy.

Its important to lubricate the area well, and to check the clay often for debris. The clay will change color as the contaminants are removed from the surface. Knead the clay to a clean section, lubricate the next section well, use minimal pressure, and you'll be fine.

Ed
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 03:01 PM   #8
Chris@glimmerglass

Drives: 2001 S10, 2002 M3
Send a message via AIM to Chris@glimmerglass
Quote:
Actually very easy to do. Moose gave a good outline of how to go about it.
We have a clay & lube package bundled up already, which you can view here: 200g Clay & LUBER package

Basically, after washing the vehicle, you want to work in one section at a time. This is typically a 1'x1' area. Spray LUBER on to this section and using light/medium pressure, begin to work the clay in back forth motions. You'll see and hear the clay picking up the contaminents. Knead the clay often to keep a fresh side of clay down. (you can cut this bar in smaller pieces. 200g is capable of doing 6 to 7 cars, but of course depends on how bad the surface is). Then just go around the vehicle in this manner. Once completed, I like to rewash the vehicle to get rid of all the clay residue that'll be left behind. And then you're all set Really easy to do and you should have no problem tackling this
Old 10-15-2009, 04:35 PM   #9
Yellojacket

Drives: 2SS/RS Inferno Orange
another clay/zaino question... ok now I have dawn,clay,zaino wash, z2,z5 etc. say 6 months from now I need to re-clay the car, does that rid the surface of all the zaino coats and i'll have to start all over again or can i just clay and one coat of z2???
Yellojacket is offline   Reply With Quote