Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 07-09-2016, 08:08 PM   #1
JohnZ

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT V6
Replace strut bumpers and insulators?

Hey everyone,

I am replacing my struts (104k on them), it is time! Do I also need to replace the bumpers and insulators?

Also, I am just getting factory strut replacements from GM parts direct, no fancy coil overs for me.

BMR Bushing Inserts,Pedders Radius Rod Inserts, Pfadt Sway Bars and Endlinks, LSR Front Subframe Brace

SS Brembo Brakes, Racing Brake Stainless Lines
JohnZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 09:59 PM   #2
Eddiefuzz

Drives: 2011 RS
WOW! I replaced mine at 60,000. You got your monies worth from them. I would replace everything, just to be safe. The insulators, you mean the boot? You'll find that the original boots will be compacted from use. The little bump stop pieces should be OK. Makes sure you get new top pieces, I forget what that's called, they get creeky.
Eddiefuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 01:59 AM   #3
JohnZ

Let make this easy, here is the link, you tell what numbers I should replace!

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/auto-pa...omponents-scat

BMR Bushing Inserts,Pedders Radius Rod Inserts, Pfadt Sway Bars and Endlinks, LSR Front Subframe Brace

Old 07-15-2016, 01:17 PM   #4
JohnZ

bump

Old 07-15-2016, 01:28 PM   #5
68rssscamaro
Camaro: A Legend Reborn!!

Drives: SOLD: 12 2SS/RS LS3 45th
1, 8, 4, and 10

68rssscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 01:54 PM   #6
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Front

10 - Upper Mount / Bearing
8 - Bump Stop
7 - Boot if torn
5 Upper Insulator - There was a running change made. To make ceratin the upper front spring insulator fits the new mount, replace it.

Are you doing the rear as well?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 03:25 PM   #7
JohnZ

Yes, I am also doing the rears. Why does #10 Upper Mount/Bearing need to be replaced?

Old 07-15-2016, 04:39 PM   #8
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ View Post
Yes, I am also doing the rears. Why does #10 Upper Mount/Bearing need to be replaced?
It is a bearing and they do wear. Yours may be just fine, but the worst time to find out there is an issue is when the car is apart.

In the rear, replace the bump stop and I would also suggest the upper mounting plate. The rubber bushing the strut mounts to has been known to pop out of place. As long as it is apart, replace it so you know you are good for another 100,000.

I am speaking as a shop owner. We want thee caar to be trouble free when it leaves. The other side of that is our shop rate is $110.00. It is almost always cheaper to do the job complete once than have to do it twice.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:41 PM   #9
JusticePete

#11 Mount
#5 Bumps Stop

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/auto-pa...omponents-scat
Old 07-15-2016, 06:18 PM   #10
JohnZ

Thanks Pete, I do appreciate the advice. It there a way for me to tell if the Mounts/Bearing needs to be replaced before they are removed?

Old 07-15-2016, 07:39 PM   #11
JusticePete

Quote:
Thanks Pete, I do appreciate the advice. It there a way for me to tell if the Mounts/Bearing needs to be replaced before they are removed?
No sir. They are under load with the spring. Even when the assembly is broken down, it would be hard to tell without knowing what a 'good one' feels like. The motion isn't the smoothest even when new. If you have a new one side by side, the comparison is straight forward.

At 100K, mt guess is 75% they are good and 25% bad.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:56 PM   #12
JohnZ

Thanks Pete. I am asking because ideally I would replace it all, money is a bit tight right now. For my car, I have never tracked or autocrossed. Just spirited street driving thanks to your bushing inserts!

Old 07-15-2016, 08:31 PM   #13
JusticePete

Quote:
Thanks Pete. I am asking because ideally I would replace it all, money is a bit tight right now. For my car, I have never tracked or autocrossed. Just spirited street driving thanks to your bushing inserts!