Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 12-25-2013, 01:03 PM   #113
JRsRS12

Drives: 2012 White 1LT RS Convertible
As evidenced from many convertible owners on this forum, a fair number of the convertible tops are defective. The network of dealers the consumer is depending on to fix this complicated issue have different approaches, and in some cases it’s hit or miss", a combination of luck, skill, unskilled or just plain can't deal with the problem, so they give it to a non-GM repair shop. Some fixes are successful, others fix one thing and another issue is caused by a unsuccessful attempt at repair. My top had no leaks and the service bulletin repair was done five months before the bow failure. When the 5th bow bent, I also pointed out a few spots where the frame was causing small contact marks -slight wear marks. GM would not authorize a complete replacement - the marks were not bad enough to warrant that. The dealer took six weeks to get the parts in and complete the repair of the 5th bow. They did a great job and I'm glad that I still have my original factory installed top. I knew how it was supposed to look and operate so I wasn't taking it back until it was right. The top now actually looks better then before, tighter and the waves are gone. When I picked up the car, I noticed the passenger window was not sealing into the window trim. The dealer wouldn't release it to me until I was fully satisfied with their work. I kept driving the loaner car, although it was nowhere near having a Camaro to drive. It just amazes me that in your case there’s not one dealer in TN. that can handle this repair. I don’t know if I would give them another chance to “experiment” on my car. I would try to locate a dealer that has success with fixing/installing things correctly, even if it meant a long drive. Hope it goes better for you in the spring.
JRsRS12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 01:23 PM   #114
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRsRS12 View Post
As evidenced from many convertible owners on this forum, a fair number of the convertible tops are defective. The network of dealers the consumer is depending on to fix this complicated issue have different approaches, and in some cases it’s hit or miss", a combination of luck, skill, unskilled or just plain can't deal with the problem, so they give it to a non-GM repair shop. Some fixes are successful, others fix one thing and another issue is caused by a unsuccessful attempt at repair. My top had no leaks and the service bulletin repair was done five months before the bow failure. When the 5th bow bent, I also pointed out a few spots where the frame was causing small contact marks -slight wear marks. GM would not authorize a complete replacement - the marks were not bad enough to warrant that. The dealer took six weeks to get the parts in and complete the repair of the 5th bow. They did a great job and I'm glad that I still have my original factory installed top. I knew how it was supposed to look and operate so I wasn't taking it back until it was right. The top now actually looks better then before, tighter and the waves are gone. When I picked up the car, I noticed the passenger window was not sealing into the window trim. The dealer wouldn't release it to me until I was fully satisfied with their work. I kept driving the loaner car, although it was nowhere near having a Camaro to drive. It just amazes me that in your case there’s not one dealer in TN. that can handle this repair. I don’t know if I would give them another chance to “experiment” on my car. I would try to locate a dealer that has success with fixing/installing things correctly, even if it meant a long drive. Hope it goes better for you in the spring.
The thing is I shouldn't have to drive or search all over the state for a shop that can fix it right. I would say probably the closest place to me in Tennessee that has a dealer capable of having someone able to fix this is in Knoxville, which is a 4 hour round trip from here.
There are 3 dealers here in this area within a 30 minute drive and none have anyone that knows enough about the convertible tops to fix them. It's not as big an issue evidently as it seems on here or there would be more people with experience working on these tops. Of the two top people I have been sent each one had only replaced the top on one Camaro and neither had replaced the frame. I will have it fixed correctly eventually. Even if it takes another year and a half.
Old 12-25-2013, 01:55 PM   #115
JRsRS12

Drives: 2012 White 1LT RS Convertible
I believe you will get it fixed correctly. As far a the tops not being a big issue, it may be due to the volume of them sold. There's not a lot of convertibles around my area, so the coupe is the big seller. My dealer doesn't have many verts for sale; I had to order mine. I would do the same as you, I will keep the car because it's awesome, great fun to drive - a keeper! There's someone out there that can fix it, no doubt. Good luck!
JRsRS12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 06:43 PM   #116
Jfoster

Drives: 2016 GT vert.
Ya have more patience than I do. After a week on this forum I knew if I kept the wife's vert it would be conditional if we could find a trained tech to work on it and avoid all the headaches.
Jfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 07:00 PM   #117
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfoster View Post
Ya have more patience than I do. After a week on this forum I knew if I kept the wife's vert it would be conditional if we could find a trained tech to work on it and avoid all the headaches.
There is a process you have to follow and it does take patience. They will not sent a engineer out until it's the final step before buy back. It seems like some dealers just refused outright to do that and others have made the request but only after exhausting their other options. Some people have gotten impatient and went the legal route and ended up getting their car bought back.
I don't want a buy back. I want this car, and I want it fixed right. I know it can be done, and with persistence it will be.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:57 PM   #118
Jfoster

Drives: 2016 GT vert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
There is a process you have to follow and it does take patience. They will not sent a engineer out until it's the final step before buy back. It seems like some dealers just refused outright to do that and others have made the request but only after exhausting their other options. Some people have gotten impatient and went the legal route and ended up getting their car bought back.
I don't want a buy back. I want this car, and I want it fixed right. I know it can be done, and with persistence it will be.
Your right., hopefully they will get it right before the weather gets right.
Jfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:42 PM   #119
BronxRS

Drives: '13 2LT RS Convertible - AGM
Quote:
After my fix a couple of months ago, I've not used my roof hoping the fabric will loosen over the winter. No water leaks and it looks reasonably well put together (straight). For what it's worth, I got a call back from GM Canada as I'd reported all issues I had with the 3d party contractor doing the roof replacement under warranty and screwing it up. While I pushed for an extended warranty, I was told "not to worry" and to see how the replacement held up. As for my concern with the 3d party contractor, she said "well, if your dealership chose and used them you should have no concern because GM would be responsible for any work they do". They don't seem to get it - there's no apparent regard for the run around that the owner has to go through to have what should be a straight forward repair done. First, the engineers should have designed a proper roof and replacement technique. Second, GM dealerships should have at least one or two competent and trained techs that can be brought in to effect these repairs. Finally, when the problem is as widespread as this apparently is, GM should really be issuing "special coverage" to owners beyond the term of their warranty. The latter, I was told, is "more likely" when we document our issues with them. I'll believe that when I see it - and never hope to have to. Bottom line - if you plan on keeping your Camaro, like I do, make sure you document the crap out of your issues including your pressing for extended coverage.
BronxRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:27 PM   #120
Michael Rophone

Drives: Yes
Gosh, I grew up thinking that owning a beautiful, American-made sports car was supposed to be fun, not a corporate vs. consumer battle.
Silly me.
Michael Rophone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:46 PM   #121
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rophone View Post
Gosh, I grew up thinking that owning a beautiful, American-made sports car was supposed to be fun, not a corporate vs. consumer battle.
Silly me.
Well some people just look at the bad things instead of focusing on the good and miss out on the fun stuff....
Once you have kicked Cancer's ass this is child's play.
Focus on the good and the bad doesn't look as big.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:03 AM   #122
babaron
Totally into it

Drives: '67 427vette/'11 Pacecar/'02 BMW ci
Amen to that!
Old 02-01-2014, 02:40 PM   #123
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Good news, today was the first day in over a month that I had a chance to put the top down. It looked like it went down lower than it had been so I tried to put the Tonneau cover on. It fit almost perfectly. I am feeling much better about that part now. Now if I could just convince them to adjust the mounting bracket on the passengers side forward about 3/8" to match the adjustment of the bracket on the drivers side I think my passenger side alignment at the windshield would be fixed.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:30 PM   #124
BronxRS

Drives: '13 2LT RS Convertible - AGM
Quote:
Well some people just look at the bad things instead of focusing on the good and miss out on the fun stuff....
Once you have kicked Cancer's ass this is child's play.
Focus on the good and the bad doesn't look as big.
Not sure if the above is directed at my earlier comments? Documenting steps and protecting yourself legally is not "looking at the bad things" - it's just being wise. As for the "corporate vs consumer battle", globalization has led many large retail businesses and manufacturers to rely upon consumer apathy and risk manage when they cut corners. It's a fact of life - but not one I'm losing sleep over.

I love my car despite these issues, and have a pretty positive outlook on life. I've lost a lot of family members to cancer and my job involves me dealing with human tragedy almost every day. While I may admire your personal strength, it's not becoming to prosthelytize to others - especially those you don't know ["some people just look at the bad things instead of focussing on the good" ]. It's both remarkable and unfortunate that one would feel comfortable throwing out generalizations about the life outlook of a complete stranger.

This isn't intended to be a forum to just bitch about things - it's to provide members with constructive suggestion (or so I thought). Best of luck with your car.
BronxRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 04:09 PM   #125
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronxRS View Post
Not sure if the above is directed at my earlier comments? Documenting steps and protecting yourself legally is not "looking at the bad things" - it's just being wise. As for the "corporate vs consumer battle", globalization has led many large retail businesses and manufacturers to rely upon consumer apathy and risk manage when they cut corners. It's a fact of life - but not one I'm losing sleep over.

I love my car despite these issues, and have a pretty positive outlook on life. I've lost a lot of family members to cancer and my job involves me dealing with human tragedy almost every day. While I may admire your personal strength, it's not becoming to prosthelytize to others - especially those you don't know ["some people just look at the bad things instead of focussing on the good" ]. It's both remarkable and unfortunate that one would feel comfortable throwing out generalizations about the life outlook of a complete stranger.

This isn't intended to be a forum to just bitch about things - it's to provide members with constructive suggestion (or so I thought). Best of luck with your car.
No it was intended to those that only post about the bad stuff and are consumed with fear and anger, which I have found out does nothing to move things forward. Patience in these matters helps. Anger and distrust hinders progress. Some people cannot see the good for the bad. Documenting the process is not looking at the bad it is the senseable thing to do which I have all work orders and e-mails saved. I vew effort as progress and as long as there is progress then eventually a solution will be found.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:21 AM   #126
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Last report

Last report!!!!
I went back out after getting a suggestion on Facebook to check the stops again. I don't know how I missed it before but the up stop on the passengers side was about 1/2" farther out than on the drivers side, I adjusted it and now the top closes perfectly! No more taking it back now, I am done and a happy Camper again!