Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Rick@Livernois
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2013, 06:19 AM   #1
Bowtienation114
 
Drives: 2012 1ss
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Fayetteville nc
Posts: 3
Thoughts on the JBA 3" stainless catback??

Ive been researching exhaust systems for a while and i would like to install the exhaust and CAI at the same time. Any thoughts on the JBA 3" stainless catback?? If not what would be your recommendations? Im also looking at K&N cai with the polished tube? Suggestions?
Bowtienation114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:33 AM   #2
LS3 SS


 
LS3 SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Camaro SS (LS3)
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Clarksville TN
Posts: 2,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtienation114 View Post
Ive been researching exhaust systems for a while and i would like to install the exhaust and CAI at the same time. Any thoughts on the JBA 3" stainless catback?? If not what would be your recommendations? Im also looking at K&N cai with the polished tube? Suggestions?
I heard the JBA 3" sounds good, but drones pretty bad and a couple guys actually took it off because they just couldn't deal with it anymore. Of course you can always add J pipes, but kind of defeats the purpose to buy a catback, and have to modify it. I'm not saying don't get it, but you may want to look at these catbacks and listen to the videos as well :

Stainless Works Retro Chambered
MagnaFlow Competition Series
Solo Performance Mach X


Also please do NOT get a K&N intake, or a polished tube. You will be making the same mistake many others before you made, which is trying to use a hot metal pipe to ingest air into your engine. Do yourself a favor, save the headache, and get a CAI, Roto-Fab, or Vararam intake. If you get a CAI, Rotofab, ADM style intake, you can add a race scoop to it to make it even more efficient.
__________________
GPI SS3 Cam / PRC 255 heads / Forged 376ci bottom / Fore level 2 fuel system / D1SC ProCharger on 12lbs / Alky control dual nozzle / 770 whp / 649 wtq tuned by Ryan Stevens at GPI
LS3 SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:24 AM   #3
Bowtienation114
 
Drives: 2012 1ss
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Fayetteville nc
Posts: 3
Ok cool deal....thanks alot. The retro catback was definately another consideration but i was concerned with a set of LT's bolting up later on. I had never thought of the issue with the K&N but it makes sense....thanks again
Bowtienation114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:15 AM   #4
thahemp
Geek
 
thahemp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Black LS3
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Derby, KS
Posts: 4,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS3 SS View Post
I heard the JBA 3" sounds good, but drones pretty bad and a couple guys actually took it off because they just couldn't deal with it anymore. Of course you can always add J pipes, but kind of defeats the purpose to buy a catback, and have to modify it. I'm not saying don't get it, but you may want to look at these catbacks and listen to the videos as well :

Stainless Works Retro Chambered
MagnaFlow Competition Series
Solo Performance Mach X


Also please do NOT get a K&N intake, or a polished tube. You will be making the same mistake many others before you made, which is trying to use a hot metal pipe to ingest air into your engine. Do yourself a favor, save the headache, and get a CAI, Roto-Fab, or Vararam intake. If you get a CAI, Rotofab, ADM style intake, you can add a race scoop to it to make it even more efficient.
I took mine off to make a couple long trips this summer, but it went right back on as soon as the highway miles were over! I haven't heard another exhaust that sounds better. I haven't heard the other 3" systems, but I would guess they all sound awesome too. Idle is deep and chunky compared to my old 2.5" setup. The only issue, besides drone, on the JBA system is that it's 409 stainless. It will surface rust pretty quickly.

+1 on the rest of your point on intakes. Spot on.

Stock manifolds + JBA 3"


Headers + JBA 3"
__________________
01000111011011110110111101100100001000000110110001 11010101100011011010110010000001110111011010010111 01000110100000100000011101000110100001101001011100 110010000001101111011011100110010100100001

x = ac97968bd3df8f968c8cd3df998a9c94d3df9c8a918bd3df9c 909c94df8c8a9c949a8dd3df92908b979a8ddf998a9c949a8d d3df8b968b8cd1
x = ~x
thahemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:43 AM   #5
LS3 SS


 
LS3 SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Camaro SS (LS3)
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Clarksville TN
Posts: 2,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by thahemp View Post
I took mine off to make a couple long trips this summer, but it went right back on as soon as the highway miles were over! I haven't heard another exhaust that sounds better. I haven't heard the other 3" systems, but I would guess they all sound awesome too. Idle is deep and chunky compared to my old 2.5" setup. The only issue, besides drone, on the JBA system is that it's 409 stainless. It will surface rust pretty quickly.

+1 on the rest of your point on intakes. Spot on.

Stock manifolds + JBA 3"


Headers + JBA 3"
That sounds damn good! Now you're making me wonder if I should have gotten the JBA over the magnaflow! lol
__________________
GPI SS3 Cam / PRC 255 heads / Forged 376ci bottom / Fore level 2 fuel system / D1SC ProCharger on 12lbs / Alky control dual nozzle / 770 whp / 649 wtq tuned by Ryan Stevens at GPI
LS3 SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:37 PM   #6
Bowtienation114
 
Drives: 2012 1ss
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Fayetteville nc
Posts: 3
Yea that does sound pretty dayum good. I had narrowed the search down to the MBRP 3" catback, the stainless works retro catback or the jba. My biggest concern was the installation of the LT's at a later time. From what ive read....everything with jba's parts is compatible with other jba parts (ex. Jba shortys, midpipes and catnack will all bolt up together).
Bowtienation114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 01:32 PM   #7
thahemp
Geek
 
thahemp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Black LS3
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Derby, KS
Posts: 4,347
All 3 of those catbacks will be fine with headers down the road. Headers + connection pipes will clamp right up to the catback. You just have to get 3"-2.5" connection pipes if your catback necks down like mine does. Or you get 3"-3" connection pipes if your catback doesn't neck down.
__________________
01000111011011110110111101100100001000000110110001 11010101100011011010110010000001110111011010010111 01000110100000100000011101000110100001101001011100 110010000001101111011011100110010100100001

x = ac97968bd3df8f968c8cd3df998a9c94d3df9c8a918bd3df9c 909c94df8c8a9c949a8dd3df92908b979a8ddf998a9c949a8d d3df8b968b8cd1
x = ~x
thahemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 02:18 PM   #8
CausticGuy
 
Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS/RS
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Norton Shores
Posts: 209
JBA does sound really mean, but also seems to be one of the loudest and drones the most. I went with Kooks 3" but you have to get headers at the same time, since there are no mid pipes. I love the sound!

Last edited by CausticGuy; 08-10-2013 at 06:12 PM.
CausticGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 02:21 PM   #9
thahemp
Geek
 
thahemp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Black LS3
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Derby, KS
Posts: 4,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by CausticGuy View Post
JBA does sound really mean, but also seems to be one of the loudest and drones the most. I went with Kooks 3" but I you have to get headers at the same time, since there are no mid pipes. I love the sound!
Very true. I tried to shoot a better video today, but the camera's mic couldn't handle the noise. There's no doubt about it though. It's very loud, and it drones BAD. I don't mind putting around in town and turning heads, but it's hard to deal with on the highway.
__________________
01000111011011110110111101100100001000000110110001 11010101100011011010110010000001110111011010010111 01000110100000100000011101000110100001101001011100 110010000001101111011011100110010100100001

x = ac97968bd3df8f968c8cd3df998a9c94d3df9c8a918bd3df9c 909c94df8c8a9c949a8dd3df92908b979a8ddf998a9c949a8d d3df8b968b8cd1
x = ~x
thahemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:42 AM   #10
MrGs SS
 
MrGs SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Black SS/RS
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 126
I have a Corsa cat back system with Pfadt LT headers, in a word.. No Drone.. Quiet at cruising speed and roars at WOT. I am sure you can find a sound clip here or on U-Tube, I did before I bought it.
__________________
2013 2SS Black~ L99

Performance Mods-CAI intake, APEX washer bottle relocate and scoop, Ported TB. SLP 160 degree stat, Norris Catch-can, Pfadt Tri-Y headers, BMR F/R sway bars and Arms, Corsa cat back exhaust.
Appearance Mods-Blackout kit (markers, tail lights), black tail light bezels, black chrome trunk lettering, LSR billet engine dress-up kit, sub box. Billet tensioner pulley and thermostat housing (Billetcustom), Heritage grille.

Tuned by Matt @ Florida Speed and Power
379/388 Mustang dyno
MrGs SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 02:27 PM   #11
EOD
 
EOD's Avatar
 
Drives: 1968 Camaro SS & 2015 GMC Sierra De
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Camp Lejeune, NC
Posts: 94
I have the a complete JBA exhaust kit. It definately turns heads at the track. I can post a video of it on the dyno or track if you want to hear it. On the high way it can be a bit obnoxious. Cruising 60-70mph not so bad, 70-80 terrible, and it quiets down 80+. Fit and finish is great, go it welded though, but I never could get the included V-band clamps to seal properly so I bought slightly better ones and soved that problem. The kit has been on the car over two years and now issues other than the clamps.
__________________
Whipple SC, Lingenfelter Heads & Cam, ACT Twin Disc Clutch, Rotofab CAI, JBA 1 7/8" Long Tube Headers & 3" Exhaust, Livernois Motorsports Fuel Pump, DSS 1400Hp Axles
RWHP 660
RWTQ 618 SOLD
EOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:29 AM   #12
2012REDSS
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NC
Posts: 657
Ive had it on my car for about a year. The drone sucked so I added J pipes from my old exhaust and it mad it tolerable. OBX LTs and no cats true 3" in and out. I love the sound and I have been told by a friend it viberates his rear view mirrior if he's behind me when I take off.
2012REDSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:32 AM   #13
mdrobtx
 
mdrobtx's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Victory Red
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 253
I also have the full 3" JBA exhaust. The sound outside the car is awesome. All kinds of compliments. But inside... Working now on installing J pipes or some kind of Helmholtz mod so I can hear my passenger talk.
__________________
21 years of owning Camaros. Finally got a 5th Generation.

1968 Coupe and 1967 Vert

mdrobtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:52 AM   #14
thahemp
Geek
 
thahemp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Black LS3
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Derby, KS
Posts: 4,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrobtx View Post
I also have the full 3" JBA exhaust. The sound outside the car is awesome. All kinds of compliments. But inside... Working now on installing J pipes or some kind of Helmholtz mod so I can hear my passenger talk.
Why would you want to hear your passenger talk? They should be gripping the dash trying to catch their breath!
__________________
01000111011011110110111101100100001000000110110001 11010101100011011010110010000001110111011010010111 01000110100000100000011101000110100001101001011100 110010000001101111011011100110010100100001

x = ac97968bd3df8f968c8cd3df998a9c94d3df9c8a918bd3df9c 909c94df8c8a9c949a8dd3df92908b979a8ddf998a9c949a8d d3df8b968b8cd1
x = ~x
thahemp is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.