Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-19-2019, 09:51 PM   #15
neil4374

Drives: Camaro SS 2011 L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
Before you do anything, take the time to check the local laws there regarding modifying your car. Might save yourself a lot of headache and $/₩.
Thank you I will. I would always keep a stock tune on the handheld. I suppose that’s a good benefit of a handheld.
neil4374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:35 AM   #16
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
So...

Here is what you should do if you want a quicker L99...

Stage one
Budget $1000
Speed Engineering longtube headers - $350
VMAX Ported Throttle body - $150
R2C Cold Air Intake - $275 - pick whatever brand you want
RDP Motorsports tuner and lifetime tunes $450

Optional: aftermarket Undrive pulley - $250 - but a PITA to install
Optional: GPI's ported/rod modded intake manifold - $3-400ish - worth about 10-15 hp

Stage 2 - around $1500 installed

Circle D Converter - if you are going to get a cam in the future, talk with Circle D and figure out what you should go with
3.91 gears - $1000 installed

Stage 3 - cam - $around 4k installed, $2k if you can do it yourself

If going for a wicked quick daily driver, go with GPI's SS3 cam - will require an aftermarket converter
If going for a reliable and not as wicked daily driver - GPI's SS1 cam - doesn't require a converter, but you are dumb if you don't get one

What I have done so far is Stage 1 and 2. From what I have heard, a full-bolt on and higher stalled L99 will beat a cammed/unconverted L99. I haven't tested this yet, but I've heard it from people who know their shit. My car launches like a rocket, and I'm still on street tires so I haven't even been able to launch at full strength without losing most traction.

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:52 AM   #17
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCPLPunk View Post
So...

Stage one
Budget $1000

Optional: GPI's ported/rod modded intake manifold - $3-400ish - worth about 10-15 hp

Circle D Converter - if you are going to get a cam in the future, talk with Circle D and figure out what you should go with

If going for a wicked quick daily driver, go with GPI's SS3 cam - will require an aftermarket converter
If going for a reliable and not as wicked daily driver - GPI's SS1 cam - doesn't require a converter, but you are dumb if you don't get one

What I have done so far is Stage 1 and 2. From what I have heard, a full-bolt on and higher stalled L99 will beat a cammed/unconverted L99. I haven't tested this yet, but I've heard it from people who know their shit. My car launches like a rocket, and I'm still on street tires so I haven't even been able to launch at full strength without losing most traction.
You have done a great job on your build....but drag radials are a must for you now.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 12:33 PM   #18
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Haha, they sure are! Since I DD mine I think I'll probably just jump up to a bigger size (305) from my 275s...

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
Old 04-20-2019, 05:30 PM   #19
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Quote:
Haha, they sure are! Since I DD mine I think I'll probably just jump up to a bigger size (305) from my 275s...
How many miles per year.? The Nitto 555r are a great all around tire. Work pretty good at the track and great on the street with good traction. Other brands are better at the track but wear quicker.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:07 PM   #20
Chris49066SS

Drives: 2010 SS L99
Quote:
You can always just get yourself a set of 17" wheels with some MTs and throw those on when you go to the track, thats what I do.

Quote:
How many miles per year.? The Nitto 555r are a great all around tire. Work pretty good at the track and great on the street with good traction. Other brands are better at the track but wear quicker.
What I like about my MTs are that I don't have to roast them at the track on the burnout like the old NTO5Rs in the sig pic!
Chris49066SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 06:44 PM   #21
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Probably around 12,000 a year give or take. I'll probably grab the BF Goodrich Comp-2 ASs when I get some new tires. https://www.amazon.com/BFGoodrich-G-...gateway&sr=8-5

Old 04-20-2019, 07:26 PM   #22
Crankshaft

Drives: 2011 Chevrolet Camaro ss
Those VVT 1.2 cams from Texas Speed claim a 105hp increase while keeping the cost down since you only replace the 4 lifters and trays from the AFM side; the tuning can be handled by mailordertuner.com since that is who used to tune for TSP so he has knowledge of their products. I am in no way a vendor of any of the above companies just to add. A small dry NOS system can come in handy when all you need is a minor boost to keep an upper hand, sneaky Pete kits are under $400 and use your factory fuel source by simply raising fuel pressure to compensate via a vacuum line to the FPR.
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:55 PM   #23
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris49066SS View Post
You can always just get yourself a set of 17" wheels with some MTs and throw those on when you go to the track, thats what I do.

What I like about my MTs are that I don't have to roast them at the track on the burnout like the old NTO5Rs in the sig pic!
Ya but that's a great pic haha. This year in going to roast the 555r pretty good to see how they do.At $1000 a pair ....I cringe.
Old 04-28-2019, 04:12 AM   #24
neil4374

Drives: Camaro SS 2011 L99
Quote:
So...

Stage one
Budget $1000

Awesome answer, thanks.
Regarding the rdp tuner. Is that a handheld tuner?
neil4374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 06:48 AM   #25
Roader

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankshaft View Post
Those VVT 1.2 cams from Texas Speed claim a 105hp increase while keeping the cost down since you only replace the 4 lifters and trays from the AFM side; the tuning can be handled by mailordertuner.com since that is who used to tune for TSP so he has knowledge of their products. I am in no way a vendor of any of the above companies just to add. A small dry NOS system can come in handy when all you need is a minor boost to keep an upper hand, sneaky Pete kits are under $400 and use your factory fuel source by simply raising fuel pressure to compensate via a vacuum line to the FPR.
Lot more to replace,than just 4 lifters and trays. Still have to remove heads which is where it cost the l99 guys the biggest price increase
Roader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 09:22 AM   #26
LCPLPunk
USA-1

RDP Motorsports is the shop, SCT is the tuner.

Roader: TSP actually makes a AFM friendly cam that you don't have to pull the heads for...(I think)

Old 04-28-2019, 10:20 AM   #27
Roader

Drives: Camaro
They do. If you trust the afm lifters then go for it. I’m not spending that kind of money to keep afm lifters. You’ll pay more in the long run to do it twice
Roader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 02:28 PM   #28
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Nope, I sure don't, but at least people show know the option is there. :P