Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 03-25-2010, 02:08 PM   #1
5thGenCamaroChick
Hey y'all :)

Drives: Rosalee
Is this suspicious or am I paranoid?

In recent weeks we've had an influx of door-to-door salemen in our neighborhood. I understand spring is prime time for them, but we've never had this many in the 6 yrs of living here. The other day I had a young guy selling newpaper subscriptions. I won't open the door to strangers if I'm home alone, so I yelled through the window that I wasn't interested and have a nice day. As the guy walked away from the door he yelled "Nice bikes". The bikes are on the carport on the other side of the house parked behind my car. The only thing visible is the handlebars unless you go onto the carport. Today someone rang my doorbell and, in the time it took me to walk the few steps from the bedroom, I could see through the window he was walking towards the carport (basically he didn't wait for me to answer the door). There's a glass door in the kitchen that leads to the carport, so I go in there and look out to see where the guy went. Low and behold, he's all the way at the rear of the carport (near the bikes) taking pictures of my car. Now, I know when I go out in public ppl take pics all the time, but I've never had anyone trespass to do it. Still not wanting to open the door I start banging on the glass to get his attention. I couldn't get him to turn around so I broke my rule and opened the door a hair. It's a two car carport and he was on the far side, so I figured if I had to I could close the door quickly before he got to it. He said he's selling gutter guards blah blah blah and starts walking towards the door a lil bit. I asked him very nicely to leave the flyer on the table beside him but he kept coming, slowly mind you. I asked him why he was taking pics of my car (again nicely) and he said he'd never seen the type of stripes/color scheme I have (it's victory red w/black stripes, hardly unusual) and it's a nice car, etc... I say thanks, and he's still inching towards the door. Again I tell him to leave the flyer on the table but he keeps talking/walking towards the door. So then I stop smiling and say PLEASE LEAVE THE FLYER ON THE TABLE AND HAVE A NICE DAY. I had to talk a little loudly because he kept talking like he didn't hear me. He laid the flyer on the table and walked away, finally. He got to the end of the driveway and took off running. Granted it is raining a little bit but he didn't go to anyone else's house. I called my hubby and he said to call the number on the flyer and ask if they had someone in the area today. Problem is it's an 800 number and they can't tell me about regional sales. Does anyone else think this is a little odd or am I just being paranoid?
Old 03-25-2010, 02:11 PM   #2
2000v6

Drives: 2003 m3, 2000 camaro v6, 2004 s4
If you don't mind me asking, why are you afraid of opening the door if you're home by yourself? I mean, even if hypothetically speaking you are paranoid, wouldn't it just be easier to have a can of pepper spray, taser gun, baseball bat, etc.?

It is suspicious if they only come up to your house, so just go buy one of the things I mentioned above. If you're waving a baseball bat, I'm pretty sure they will get scared off.
2000v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 02:16 PM   #3
buzzy56
buzzy56

Drives: 2ss summit white L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thGenCamaroChick View Post
In recent weeks we've had an influx of door-to-door salemen in our neighborhood. I understand spring is prime time for them, but we've never had this many in the 6 yrs of living here. The other day I had a young guy selling newpaper subscriptions. I won't open the door to strangers if I'm home alone, so I yelled through the window that I wasn't interested and have a nice day. As the guy walked away from the door he yelled "Nice bikes". The bikes are on the carport on the other side of the house parked behind my car. The only thing visible is the handlebars unless you go onto the carport. Today someone rang my doorbell and, in the time it took me to walk the few steps from the bedroom, I could see through the window he was walking towards the carport (basically he didn't wait for me to answer the door). There's a glass door in the kitchen that leads to the carport, so I go in there and look out to see where the guy went. Low and behold, he's all the way at the rear of the carport (near the bikes) taking pictures of my car. Now, I know when I go out in public ppl take pics all the time, but I've never had anyone trespass to do it. Still not wanting to open the door I start banging on the glass to get his attention. I couldn't get him to turn around so I broke my rule and opened the door a hair. It's a two car carport and he was on the far side, so I figured if I had to I could close the door quickly before he got to it. He said he's selling gutter guards blah blah blah and starts walking towards the door a lil bit. I asked him very nicely to leave the flyer on the table beside him but he kept coming, slowly mind you. I asked him why he was taking pics of my car (again nicely) and he said he'd never seen the type of stripes/color scheme I have (it's victory red w/black stripes, hardly unusual) and it's a nice car, etc... I say thanks, and he's still inching towards the door. Again I tell him to leave the flyer on the table but he keeps talking/walking towards the door. So then I stop smiling and say PLEASE LEAVE THE FLYER ON THE TABLE AND HAVE A NICE DAY. I had to talk a little loudly because he kept talking like he didn't hear me. He laid the flyer on the table and walked away, finally. He got to the end of the driveway and took off running. Granted it is raining a little bit but he didn't go to anyone else's house. I called my hubby and he said to call the number on the flyer and ask if they had someone in the area today. Problem is it's an 800 number and they can't tell me about regional sales. Does anyone else think this is a little odd or am I just being paranoid?
Post a sign on your wall next to your door stating "no soliciting" you can buy these(nice plastic ingraved) at the hardware.Also get a pistol and keep it loaded and safe somewhere that you can get at it fast when you are alone.Dangerous times are here.Desparate heartless people are all around ,sorry to say.Protect your self,your family and your property!
Old 03-25-2010, 02:17 PM   #4
67 Convertible

Drives: 67 Camaro Convertible
You're not being paranoid, just a little cautious, which you should be. You may want to get the name of the company they are representing and call the police to see if they're legit........I believe all door to door "peddlers" or "salespeople" have to register, show id and get a permit from the local PD to knock on doors selling. Or just call the police and have them check them out anyway.
1100 - 4/28/09
2000 - 5/01/09
2500 - 5/05/09
3000 - 5/05/09
3300 - 5/30/09
3400 - 6/05/09
3800 - 6/18/09
4000 - 6/18/09
4B00 - 6/18/09
4200 - 6/22/09
5000 - 7/01/09
6000 - 7/01/09 It's Home!!
0000 - 7/14/11 Traded in with 24,000 miles. Currently 5th Gen less
67 Convertible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 02:18 PM   #5
Moriartii

Drives: 11 IOM 2SS/RS M6 w/Hurst
To the OP, Yes I would be a little worried and a LOT more vigilante given the circumstances you have just described.

To 2000v6, once you have opened the door you have removed an additional element of deterence. I think anyone should be cautious and I recommend it.

Cheers
K
Moriartii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 02:21 PM   #6
CaMeRoN187

Drives: 2011 SW 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000v6 View Post
If you don't mind me asking, why are you afraid of opening the door if you're home by yourself? I mean, even if hypothetically speaking you are paranoid, wouldn't it just be easier to have a can of pepper spray, taser gun, baseball bat, etc.?

It is suspicious if they only come up to your house, so just go buy one of the things I mentioned above. If you're waving a baseball bat, I'm pretty sure they will get scared off.
smart man here he knows how to do it.
CaMeRoN187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 02:23 PM   #7
Snuggles

Drives: 2010 VR 2SS/RS, M6, whitestrip
Not trying to sound like Billy BadA$$...

But if ANYONE comes to my door, short of them being a 4th grade child selling candy, I answer my door with my gun secured to my hip. I never allow them to see it (keep it concealed) but I know its there just in case...

Yeah, call me paranoid but I call it PREPARED!

Snuggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 02:27 PM   #8
tradosaurus
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 F150 Lariat, Candy Red
That is why I have 2 Great Danes that are inside dogs. My wife homeschools my kids and it is an extra piece of mind.

Also the 9 shot home defense shotgun helps too.

Additionally with the economy more people are looking for work which is why you are seeing more salesman.
tradosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 02:36 PM   #9
1bad65
Banned

Drives: 2007 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriartii View Post
To 2000v6, once you have opened the door you have removed an additional element of deterence. I think anyone should be cautious and I recommend it.
This is true. I'm in good shape, have boxed and done MMA for years now, and I have guns. And I still I'm always very careful when dealing with strangers who knock on the door.

A 'No Soliciting' sign is a very good idea. Be prepared for Jehovah's Witnesses to ignore it though.
1bad65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 02:39 PM   #10
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy56 View Post
Post a sign on your wall next to your door stating "no soliciting" you can buy these(nice plastic ingraved) at the hardware.Also get a pistol and keep it loaded and safe somewhere that you can get at it fast when you are alone.Dangerous times are here.Desparate heartless people are all around ,sorry to say.Protect your self,your family and your property!
they probably wouldn't pay any attention to it...Or couldn't read it.

I just refuse to open my door after 7 PM, unless it is someone I know....
Old 03-25-2010, 02:41 PM   #11
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
You might want to invest in a CCTV camera and recorder for your carport. Maybe a infra-red beam across the front of the carport. Someone breaks the beam an alarm sounds. I don't think you're paranoid at all. Sounds like there's a lot of money parked at your house!
Old 03-25-2010, 02:47 PM   #12
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Well, I'm just gonna be honest.

The scene I had in my head while reading the OP was a tad paranoid. Have you had something bad happen to you before?

Now there is NOTHING wrong with it. You are probably less likely to be harmed but not all that much. If they want in bad enough, they'll get in. At least with only the precautions you explained. Living in fear sucks. I'll live comfortably and freely if I can.

That being said, if it works for you, and makes you feel safer, well then don't worry about wether someone thinks you're paranoid or not. I'd say a little, yes.

As far as wether the encounter was 'Odd', I'd say no. Not in the situation described. These people are trained to be persistant. Yes it's uncool to go beyond the front door or openly accessible door, but they are trained ot do so. Sucks, but true. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:12 PM   #13
rmpackers
Ride this Chevy

Drives: 2010 RJT RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by tradosaurus View Post
That is why I have 2 Great Danes that are inside dogs. My wife homeschools my kids and it is an extra piece of mind.

Also the 9 shot home defense shotgun helps too.

Additionally with the economy more people are looking for work which is why you are seeing more salesman.
What would the Great Danes do, lick somebody to death?
Old 03-25-2010, 03:43 PM   #14
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
I just don't answer the door. I know when I'm expecting company.