Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-24-2007, 08:25 PM   #1
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
Mileage concerns?

I refuse to buy a car that will go below my current 24.5 mpg combined std. that I have achieved in my current car. I'm hoping GM will go the extra mile and beyond in addressing fuel economy concerns(which they stated they would in that dealer memo that was released not too long ago), but I may be asking too much. In which case I'll be putting my money from a product from overseas(somewhat regrettably) that can do better. I have a feeling that I may be asking for too much, but only time will tell.

After I got through putting gas in my car this afternoon a guy around my age rolled up in a Mustang GT Convertible, I rolled down my window to ask what he got on the combined cycle, he said "it's crappy man, 17"- pretty crappy.
Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:53 PM   #2
stevenm357

Drives: 98 Trans am 00 Trans am 01 corvette
you refuse to buy something with less than 24.5 ... Cobalt maybe?

seriously i have a grand marquis i can get over 25 with or i can get under 20 it's all about the driver in most cases.

if your THAT worried about fuel economy you can buy a smart car for under 20K.

I Promise you my camaro won't get over 20 the first few tanks.... hearing that exhaust note feeling the power... probabally closer to 10

With the manual trans you should easily be able to get this with good driving technique.

2001 Corvette
Heads,Big cam, 4:11, Custom Exhaust, MGW Shifter Baer Eradispeed +2 2 pieces rotors, Hotchkiss swaybars. and a few other little things.

1998 Trans Am A4 ( was STS turbo until the turbo and oil pump died)

2000 WS6 Trans AM under the knife ( sadly turned into long term project.
stevenm357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:54 PM   #3
JeepinMatt

Drives: '99 Wrangler
I guess I'm just not concerned with the mileage at all. In all honesty, I'm buying it for the performance and I can afford to spend a little extra money on gas if it fuels (edit- pun not intended) my hobby, the same way someone may buy season tickets to a sports team or go on hunting trips. Fuel consumption can be affected in ways such as carpooling and bettering your driving habits. That said, the LS1 and similar engines were always known for rather high mileage numbers, especially considering it's a performance engine.
JeepinMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 09:03 PM   #4
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Steve, no offense but you're response is a little unnecessarily dramatic. It's a simple and real concern, really. At 6'5" there's no way I'll ever be buying a compact, unless it's a MINI, and I'm not to fond of buying a car from Europe at this point(blame a sudden real and deep appreciation fro my country). Thank You.

My concern is entirely reasonable, especially since GM agrees.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:06 PM   #5
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Auto should be able to get it too....The 6L80, and the T56, are almost on level ground as far as performance.

Not only that. But 24.5 is possible in Most Chevy's (they're the brandI'm most comfortable spitting facts about :p). It's all, like steve said, with the driver. If that Mustang driver drove nice, he could get low 20's.

But, we're not talking about the Mustang, are we? No, we're talking about the Camaro. GM believes they can easily get 30 hwy out of the Camaro. More by the time it comes out. The Vette already gets 28. And the LS3 is a promising engine, moreso than the LS2. VVT, Direct injection...and an easy foot.

but seriously, although it'll probably be more than possible in the Camaro, if you want this much fuel economy, and this much power...Your asking A LOT. You might be better off getting a V6 Camaro if your going to be fuel economy picky.

As for your "have to buy overseas" comment...Why!?!? There are plenty of Domestic vehicles that get the same if not better fuel economy than the imports...GM is not lacking in that department. Again, I'm only comfortable with spitting out Chevy facts, others can defend the other brands better...but take a peek at this site...http://www.chevrolet.com/fueleconomy/
That is hard proof in my eyes.

You could also buy a Camaro for a few years, have fun at the expense of 24.4 mpg, and then trade it in for a Volt later on (if you must trade it in)
Old 07-24-2007, 09:12 PM   #6
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

Drives: 2010 GMC Yukon XL
I love hearing people bitch about the mileage they're getting....

I get 13-14 out of my Silverado and about that out of my Tahoe. But I don't complain because I knew what it would be when I bought it, I expected it, and I was willing to get that kind of mileage to have my full-size 4x4, crew cab pickup.

I'd say the same thing about getting the Camaro...this isn't the car you buy if you're that concerned about mileage. Get a Hyundai or a Prius if you want great gas mileage.

I'm not really trying to bash on you here. I understand your concern, and it's a legit one, but, you have to outweigh that concern vs your other needs/wants. That will be up to every individual.

Now, from what has been mentioned before (and is in another thread somewhere), GM is supposedly shooting for the mid 20's to 30 mpg. As always, if they put 25 on the sticker, expect 20-22...yeah, yeah, the new EPA ratings and all, whatever, I would expect low 20's (also assuming we can keep our right feet light on the go pedal).

Still, a 400+HP, rear drive, performance car getting "only" in the low 20's, looking like this and it says Camaro on the back....PUT MY NAME ON THE WAITING LIST!
Attached Images

Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 09:17 PM   #7
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Dragon,

Thanks for the informative post. Perhaps I was a little vague in addressing my requirements for a new car, but simply put it must be:

-Sporty/Fun to drive
-High quality
-High performance
-Economical(to some degree)
-Real style, a classic
-Reasonably priced
-Roomy

Now tell me how many of the more economical domestics out there fit the criteria? Forgive me if there's any ignorance in what I've said.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:27 PM   #8
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Impala, Cobalt(though it's not a classic), and the New Malibu...I'm sure the G8, the G6, G5 (aka, Cobalt ), the Solstice (if your into 2-seaters, then the Vette too.), the ION, and the Sky (aka, the Solstice)...I could go on.

Not trying to sound like an Ass, but it's only perception that says Domestics are worse then Imports.
And I doubt you could match any Import's "sportyness", or performance to a domestics, by the way
Old 07-24-2007, 09:30 PM   #9
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

Drives: 2010 GMC Yukon XL
Well, the Cobalt SS has been mentioned...although roomy probably isn't a description that most would use to describe it. It is comfortable for 1 or 2 people, so roomy is really based on how many people you want to carry (I don't think the back seat of the Camaro is a place I will want to spend much time either, so.....)

I don't know about the new ones yet, but the older Avengers were pretty much what you described. Now they have 4 doors and are a little larger, so hopefully they do well enough to stick around awhile. Quality will have to wait awhile to be judged since they are less than a year old.

How about the Monte Carlo? They get decent mileage, plenty of room (even in the back), decent trunk too. Nice styling (admittedly, my opinion), good performance, decently priced, and decent quality too. Not going to get 40+ like some econoboxes, but still mid-20's in town.

Ford's Focus SVT fit in there. Now, I don't personally like them, but many did. And, I thought they were overpriced for what you got, but still.

I'm sure there are others as well.....
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 09:34 PM   #10
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Not trying to sound like an Ass, but it's only perception that says Domestics are worse then Imports.
Well, that's certainly not something I was trying to infer.

The cars you mentioned, most, are not my style(bar the G8). Eventually more will be revealed, until then....
Old 07-24-2007, 09:38 PM   #11
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado View Post
Well, the Cobalt SS has been mentioned...although roomy probably isn't a description that most would use to describe it. It is comfortable for 1 or 2 people, so roomy is really based on how many people you want to carry (I don't think the back seat of the Camaro is a place I will want to spend much time either, so.....)

I don't know about the new ones yet, but the older Avengers were pretty much what you described. Now they have 4 doors and are a little larger, so hopefully they do well enough to stick around awhile. Quality will have to wait awhile to be judged since they are less than a year old.

How about the Monte Carlo? They get decent mileage, plenty of room (even in the back), decent trunk too. Nice styling (admittedly, my opinion), good performance, decently priced, and decent quality too. Not going to get 40+ like some econoboxes, but still mid-20's in town.

Ford's Focus SVT fit in there. Now, I don't personally like them, but many did. And, I thought they were overpriced for what you got, but still.

I'm sure there are others as well.....
I wouldn't be caught dead in either a Chrysler or Ford product. EVER!!! The smaller Zeta cars(if they happen, can't remember the platform name) might be something to look at as well, provided they aren't too small and they actually do get here.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:48 PM   #12
darthknight72

Drives: 1983 trans am
I can understand someone concerned about fuel milege.Especially with gas prices the way they are now but lets be honest here.The general is saying the new camaro should have 400 hp in the base V-8.Even with modern technology I think its a bit much to expect milege in the mid to high 20's.My dad just bought a solstice and let me tell you its really nice.Not to mention its a 4 banger and if you want a little more power you could get the supercharged version.Just something to think about.I still say domestic is the way to go.I guess Im just a little patrotic when it comes to cars,sorry cant help it.
darthknight72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 12:21 AM   #13
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
There is always a trade off somewhere.... just got to pick what you want over others..

corvette - Pro:Huge HP, Good Gas mileage(due to weight) - Cons: Expensive (weight)

Run of the mill small car - Pro: Great gas mileage, inexpensive - Cons: Low hp

Camaro V6- Pro : decent hp, decent gas mileage, average price - Cons - Middle of the road

Camaro V8- Pro: High HP, Cheaper than corvette - Con: lose some gas mileage

Its simple physics/economics, you get what you pay for or you pick and chose what characteristics are important to you. GM has addressed the mileage and price concern, its the V6 option.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:59 AM   #14
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
GM also stated they wanted the V8 Camaro to achieve 30+mpg's. Could it be possible? Depends on how many people they get working on it, IMO. I think they could....but am expecting a high ball park on hwy mileage to be 28-29mpg's.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote