Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 05-18-2018, 11:36 PM   #1
CDBiker220

Drives: 98 camaro z28
Help me diagnose my rear axle/differential issue on 2010 SS

2010 SS M6 with bolt ons, stock drivetrain with stiffer suspension, ZL1 wheels/tires. Hit the gas pretty hard, got wheel spin/wheel hop and let off. Down the road a bit as I rolled on the gas I noticed a vibration similar to being on rumble strips. Noticed it kept doing it every time I rolled on the gas, felt like a vibration from the rear. Only when on the gas not when just rolling.

Got home to inspect. Felt like excessive play in driveshaft at first when rotated by hand with wheels on ground but dont have anything to compare to. Jacked it up and noticed driver side axle CV joint nearest the wheel looked to have some grease coming out, small amount of grease flung onto spindle/suspension components and there seamed to be a small amount of radial play at the joint however it seamed like passenger side axle had similar amount of play. Pushed up and down on driver side axle where it enters the differential and it seamed to have a decent amount of up/down play (not sure if in inner CV joint or in differential bearing), passenger side has some as well but seamed like less.

Let me know if you have any thoughts. I can do further diagnosis and provide feedback. Trying to figure out if it's just a toasted driver side axle or if I messed up the differential. Concerned about amount of play where the driver side axle enters the differential as well as the amount of total backlash between the driveshaft and the wheels.
CDBiker220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 11:50 PM   #2
CDBiker220

After further reading I'm wondering if I should also be looking at the driveshaft joints/bolts. Not sure if the play in the axle/driveshaft/CV joints is normal and maybe I just did something to the driveshaft. If anyone has some input on the weak links to look at let me know. Thanks.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:06 AM   #3
bayarea408

Drives: T
inspect the driveshaft very closely around the rubber joints. M6's shock the system enough the driveshaft rubber might be messed up, be careful bro.

Someone with the M6 info cosign me on that, a lot of you guys get rubber issues from the stock 2 piece shaft right? I remember seeing folks blow those up launching.
bayarea408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 10:13 AM   #4
CDBiker220

Pretty sure I found the culprit. 1 broken bolt on the rubber coupling between the driveshaft and differential. Will replace all 3 but pretty sure that was the issue.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:52 AM   #5
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Drives: '69 Z/28 LeMans Blue w/White
Not an uncommon problem. Once repaired with care you might not have the issue again. Vibrations in the chassis come from failed bolts in the rear driveshaft rubber joint while the front joint bolt failure feels different as you can feel shakes in the shifter. Been here a time or two....

My advice - Do not trust a dealer do this job for you. Do not reuse the nuts. Preferably use a pointer style torque wrench so you can actually see when you get tight close to the torque-to-yield point. Pay attention to the torque spec as all the nut/bolt assemblies in the driveshaft do not have the same torque spec.
Stingr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 12:25 PM   #6
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
that hop WILL destroy a CV eventually...may want to address that ASAP. Stock dr are tough a sh!t....was your car ever worked on? that seems to be the only time I ever hear of bolts comin lose..

what is a "stiffer" suspension?

peace

btw - ur close enough..should come down to Mason-Dixon for sum 1/4 runs! l8tr
Old 05-19-2018, 12:48 PM   #7
LETHAL2SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
500whp, never touched driveline, broke bolts ALL the time, thats normal, call the dealership and buy a couple sets, only replace the ojne you break, cheaper than CV's, diffs, and driveshafts....
2010 Camaro 2SS-Mods: Nightfury cam, CNC ported LS3 heads, CNC ported TB, Ported Intake, RX Catch Can, MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mantic 9000 Clutch, TSP 1 7/8 headers, catless NPP, BMR trailing arms, MMR Z/28 Reps 20" gloss black. SOLD

2011 Red Jewel Tintcoat 2SS-Mods: Edlebrock E Force S/C w/ 3" pulley swap,Texas Speed roller Boost Cam 227/235, 641"/649", 114 LSA, PRC Ported Heads, Ported TB,ARH 1 7/8 headers, McLeod RST twin disk 1000 hp clutch, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 620whp
LETHAL2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 08:16 PM   #8
jergarr

Drives: 11' RJT 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDBiker220 View Post
2010 SS M6 with bolt ons, stock drivetrain with stiffer suspension, ZL1 wheels/tires. Hit the gas pretty hard, got wheel spin/wheel hop and let off. Down the road a bit as I rolled on the gas I noticed a vibration similar to being on rumble strips. Noticed it kept doing it every time I rolled on the gas, felt like a vibration from the rear. Only when on the gas not when just rolling.

Got home to inspect. Felt like excessive play in driveshaft at first when rotated by hand with wheels on ground but dont have anything to compare to. Jacked it up and noticed driver side axle CV joint nearest the wheel looked to have some grease coming out, small amount of grease flung onto spindle/suspension components and there seamed to be a small amount of radial play at the joint however it seamed like passenger side axle had similar amount of play. Pushed up and down on driver side axle where it enters the differential and it seamed to have a decent amount of up/down play (not sure if in inner CV joint or in differential bearing), passenger side has some as well but seamed like less.

Let me know if you have any thoughts. I can do further diagnosis and provide feedback. Trying to figure out if it's just a toasted driver side axle or if I messed up the differential. Concerned about amount of play where the driver side axle enters the differential as well as the amount of total backlash between the driveshaft and the wheels.
I'm experiencing something very similar. Last time i was at the track i spun like crazy on my last run. Once i got off of it i noticed the vibration. I wouldn't say it feels like I'm on a rumble strip but it's still noticeable. The vibration is only present on acceleration. I checked under the car and the axles look good but i haven't checked the driveshaft or diff yet.
Stainless Power Headers w/cats
Fluidampr 25% UDP
Cold Air Inductions Intake
Bo White Ported Throttle Body
ADM Trans Cooler
Some BMR Goodies
jergarr is offline   Reply With Quote