Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 12-22-2009, 10:48 AM   #1
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Need some help deciding on Spring/Sways

I’m trying to get somewhat of a budget together and decide what mods I can afford and in which order I want to do them. Lowering the car is going to be a MUST! A good stance changes the look of the car.

This is going to be my DD and I don’t plan on doing any more than the occasional run at the drag strip. I’m mostly going for the looks department and of course price is an issue. Coilovers look like they will be overkill and way out of my price range. So I’ll be sticking to Springs and maybe Sway bars.

In the past I’ve used Eibach and Hotchkis and had no problems with either. Looking at some pics I think the 1” drop of Eibach is not going to be enough. Haven’t seen any Hotchkis for the 2010 Camaro yet. I really like the DSE setup but they only sell the Springs/Sway Bar combo for about $950. I don’t want to drop that kind of money all at once and will probably just do Springs for now and Sways later on. After DSE I like either Pfadt or Pedders. Both of those sell just springs, look about the same ride height, and seem to be very knowledgeable and reputable companies.

Does anyone have any Pros/Cons over using either of these Springs? Where is the best place to purchase the Pfadt or Pedders springs?

Now for the Swaybar questions. I’m sure they would be nice to have but I’ve never had a car with updated Sways. Will they really make a noticeable handling difference? Won’t just the upgraded Springs make it handle better? I’m assuming if I can handle the Spring install that I should be able to handle the Sway install as well? I know an alignment is needed after the Spring install but what about after the Sway install? I’m assuming it doesn’t really need an alignment for just the Sways.

TIA for any comments or suggestions you can give.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 05:43 PM   #2
ZZcamaro

Drives: 2SS w/ ZZ427 Package!!
Personally I am a huge fan of BMR products. You would be hard pressed to find better products for the price you can get BMR for.

I woudl use their new drop springs whihc would lower you 1 inch all around. They will be available early in January.

As for your questions on sway bars. YES they can make a huge difference in handling. They are also adjustable depending on which ones you buy. SO you can set it up to be very stiff for track days, for drag racing, or even for regular driving.

Sway bars and drop springs are an excellent upgrade for the Camaro.

If you have any questions or just want to chat abotu this feel free to send me a PM or call, or email...I am always here to help.
ZZcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:33 PM   #3
urr2slo

Drives: 2010 2ss ss/rs abm, 2016 2ss/rs hbm
hotchkis has adjustable sway bars currently available, springs will be available in late jan. as well as a bunch of other components that will be available shortly afterward. hotchkis has been developing a complete line of suspension pieces that are currently being tested. hotchkis may not be the first to market but they always bring a quality product thats throughly tested before it goes to sale to the public.
urr2slo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 12:13 AM   #4
d69chris
Florida C5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Vortech L99 IOM
Send a message via Yahoo to d69chris
You should be able to get some drop springs and sway bars installed for around $900 w/ alignment.

Alignment might not be a must with only 1" drop.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:23 AM   #5
d69chris
Florida C5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Vortech L99 IOM
Send a message via Yahoo to d69chris
You should be able to get springs and sways installed for ~$900+. $250+$450+install

Eibach, Pdfat, Hotchkis, BMR are all good

Springs first for looks, then sways for handling.

Or ~$2000-2400 for coil overs
Old 12-26-2009, 12:50 PM   #6
Sack Rat 2SS

Drives: Silver SS/RS, Man 6
Eibach springs and bars here. Removal of the factory front sway bar is a bitch. Rear is easy. Install the bars and springs at the same time. Front bar comes out the right side but takes some tweeking. One inch on my car as I measured before and one week after. Start stocking up on parts before your car gets here. Good Luck
Sack Rat 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote